PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts- the Turn Over edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight was 100% the genius and GREATNESS of Bill Belichick.
AND his assistants, Joker. Don't forget the assistants. Just like football itself, coaching is a TEAM game. All the AC's had to be at the top of their games for the Pats to pull off what they did on the short week. BB waxed poetic about the job his AC's did in his postgame presser. In fact when a mediot asked him about this game adding to HIS legacy, he quickly put him in his place in his usual egoless manner, by saying, "this isn't about me, it's about the job my AC's and players did" (paraphrased)

That's what I love best about BB. In a game where he is at the TOP of his profession, it's NEVER "about him". The ONLY time he ever makes it "about him" is when they lose and he tells us they need to coach better.

Nice job as always PFK.

My bullet points:

1) With only 3 days rest, most teams, like Houston, stick with their game plan from the previous Sunday and rely on their strengths when practice opportunities are so limited. In other words, BB knew exactly what to expect ....and for the best of the best, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Dropping the NE safeties deep and and flooding the secondary and occupying space screwed over the Houston offensive game plan.....and the fact that the front four handled the Texans running game with ease......too easy.

2) You could tell Bill O'Brien was a BB disciple by the patience he displayed by sticking with his running game when NE flooded the secondary. "Take what they give you" ....we've seen BB do the same. Unfortunately, the NE front 4 were brilliant....and the Texans had no plan B.

3) Turn on any national broadcast this AM and they are lauding the brilliance of BB. With three days rest, NE modified its offense and went deep into the playbook with gadgetry, NE switched up its defensive scheme just for this game, NE dominated the special teams opportunities...possibly the best special teams output in the history of the team, NE owned the field position battle, and NE took advantage of all opportunities. BB is truly the Chess Master and most NFL coaches have lost the game before the opening kickoff...verses BB

4) The modified kickoff rule......When the NFL "adjusted" this rule, BB must have thought Christmas had come early and clearly he has his foot on the throttle with NE special teams in attack mode ....and then BB is putting his foot on his opponents' throats. Brady may be gone for 4 weeks, but this rule is becoming a great equalizer...at least IMO. Rag you Goodell!

5) I love watching Brady chuck it four 350 yds and 4 TDs, but give me a dominating defense that can impose it's will any day. A very satisfying display of team football

6) BB dominates with 3 days rest...and now he has 9 days to prepare for imploding Wrecks....at home. RU effing kiddin me

7) In Blount we trust. Wow....was he hitting the holes with speed I didn't know he had. Team MVP so far...IMO

8) Josh...you know you're good...you don't need me to tell you. He must be having a ball playing with these new toys...like a mad chemist

9) Nice job NE fans, loved the love display after the JB scamper TD. Brought back the memory of my all time favorite NE touchdown, Steve Grogan running the naked bootleg for a 40 yd TD. Grogan was my guy back in the day. Now we all have another great memory

Nice job as always PFK.

My bullet points:

1) With only 3 days rest, most teams, like Houston, stick with their game plan from the previous Sunday and rely on their strengths when practice opportunities are so limited. In other words, BB knew exactly what to expect ....and for the best of the best, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Dropping the NE safeties deep and and flooding the secondary and occupying space screwed over the Houston offensive game plan.....and the fact that the front four handled the Texans running game with ease......too easy.

2) You could tell Bill O'Brien was a BB disciple by the patience he displayed by sticking with his running game when NE flooded the secondary. "Take what they give you" ....we've seen BB do the same. Unfortunately, the NE front 4 were brilliant....and the Texans had no plan B.

3) Turn on any national broadcast this AM and they are lauding the brilliance of BB. With three days rest, NE modified its offense and went deep into the playbook with gadgetry, NE switched up its defensive scheme just for this game, NE dominated the special teams opportunities...possibly the best special teams output in the history of the team, NE owned the field position battle, and NE took advantage of all opportunities. BB is truly the Chess Master and most NFL coaches have lost the game before the opening kickoff...verses BB

4) The modified kickoff rule......When the NFL "adjusted" this rule, BB must have thought Christmas had come early and clearly he has his foot on the throttle with NE special teams in attack mode ....and then BB is putting his foot on his opponents' throats. Brady may be gone for 4 weeks, but this rule is becoming a great equalizer...at least IMO. Rag you Goodell!

5) I love watching Brady chuck it four 350 yds and 4 TDs, but give me a dominating defense that can impose it's will any day. A very satisfying display of team football

6) BB dominates with 3 days rest...and now he has 9 days to prepare for imploding Wrecks....at home. RU effing kiddin me

7) In Blount we trust. Wow....was he hitting the holes with speed I didn't know he had. Team MVP so far...IMO

8) Josh...you know you're good...you don't need me to tell you. He must be having a ball playing with these new toys...like a mad chemist

9) Nice job NE fans, loved the love display after the JB scamper TD. Brought back the memory of my all time favorite NE touchdown, Steve Grogan running the naked bootleg for a 40 yd TD. Grogan was my guy back in the day. Now we all have another great memory
Some really good insights, borgy, especially the first one. I have to say you are dead on with that one. I have really had to alter my first thought that the short week would take away from the Pats most consistent advantage (game planning), when in reality (as you pointed out) it probably does just the opposite and for JUST the reasons you mention.

I too relished all the media attention today. I even listened to Mike and Mike so I could hear little mike have to heap praise on the Pats. Also Golic's son offered some nice insights on the Pats OL play and the value of Dante. Also the around the league podcast on the NFL site was great. One of their guys is a rabid Jet fans and it was great to feel his pain. He's really funny about it.

HOWEVER, like I said in the OP, I really worry now about the inflated expectations a win like that can bring. We aren't always going to win the TO battle 3-0. And we aren't always going to be the most focused team with the best game plan (ie game 16 last season) It happens. When it does, watch out for the panic. This board will look like the first quarter of every game day thread. ;)

The KO was one of the most exciting, hold your breath plays in football, and a combination of improved kicking legs and Roger Goodell has made it into a good time to take a leak. BB is now bringing it back....thankfully.

Finally, Josh will have his pick of any openings after this season, and most people will write him off as gone. However there is a small window of hope. Josh AND his family had a horrid experience in Denver. They LOVE NE. It could be that Josh will be patient and be willing, for his family, to wait for BB's impending retirement before he scratches his HCing itch. OTOH, do you REALLY want to be the guy who follows BB? ;)

Biggest difference from last year is dante scarnechia and it's showing up in the run game in a big way.
I agree, plus we've been hitting it big time with all the DL/DE we've brought in the last 2 seasons.

That's what I love best about BB. In a game where he is at the TOP of his profession, it's NEVER "about him". The ONLY time he ever makes it "about him" is when they lose and he tells us they need to coach better.

Yes, yes, yes, a hundred times to this.

BB puts three things together in a way that is unique in any sports coach I know about:

1. Extraordinary knowledge and judgement in all areas -- as teacher, as talent spotter, as planner and as game-time manager.

2. Complete authority. Everyone else works within the structure and limits he sets out and he's completely comfortable with that.

3. Absence of ego. Not only does he genuinely want to credit his fellow coaches and players, as you noted, Ken, but, from everything we've heard, he doesn't mind being challenged on his ideas by others -- so long as it's understood that, once a decision has been made -- by him -- it's made.

Last night was yet another Belichick masterpiece in all three aspects.

I think my favourite reflection on last night's glorious victory was one I had during the game, when they flashed that graphic on the screen about total coaching victories because Belichick had just passed Curly Lambeau for #4 all-time. It went something like this:

Don Shula 347 wins in 33 seasons (1o.5 wins/season)
George Halas 324 wins in 40 seasons (8.1 wins/season)
Tom Landry 279 wins in 29 seasons (9.6 wins/season)
Bill Belichick 230 wins in 20 season (11.5 wins/season)

So we all kn0w what a keen sense of football history Bill has. If ANYONE is going to set a goal to be the greatest coach of all time in terms of wins/Super Bowls and every other meaningful statistic about the game, it's Bill. And when you look at who's at the top, and who's been particularly graceless about the rise and reign of the Patriots...it became clear to me what Bill's career objective is. It's to dethrone Shula and shut his mouth. To do that, he needs 117 wins, which at his current pace is just beyond 10 years time. He's 64, so that would mean coaching until he's 74. Now it's true he said he "wouldn't be coaching into his 70's like Marv Levy", but then again, Marv retired at 82 and even took consulting work afterwards.

I think Bill's going to stay for 10 more years, and this current audition for Brady's successor is going to make that a lock as he'll know he's got a signal caller to make that last run after Tommy retires. Life is so good.

I think Bill's going to stay for 10 more years, and this current audition for Brady's successor is going to make that a lock as he'll know he's got a signal caller to make that last run after Tommy retires. Life is so good.

Please.... oh god please make it so. :)

Develin is one of my favorite players to watch. The guy looks like he gets shot out of a cannon once the ball is snapped and pounds into a defender or two to clear a path.

He looks like an eager dog jumping into people's chests.

I think the only down in the game was Cyrus Jones fielding punts. I see he was replaced by Amendola later in the game. He did bait a Houston player into a penalty after the play was over. Interesting that CJ was on defense but I don't recall Coleman being out there. JJ Watt was a non factor while Collins was dominant.
Secondary played excellent. Throws were tightly contested. Patriots are so well coached, I think it is an advantage for them to play on Thursday nights.

It's great that Long and Bennett are allowed to talk freely and not have a muzzle put on them. JB is the most humble QB I have seen. I know we carried just 2 QB's on the roster because Brady is one tough SOB but I like having 3 QB on the roster. It's sad that Jerry is the assistant QB's coach and I have no clue who he is. I wonder who played the scout team QB? Blount, Ebner, Richards, Slater and J. Jones are a force on special team coverage. It's not going to happen but Scar should be in the NFL HoF when he retires. Blount is having a ball. His interviews after the game were sure fun to watch. It's crazy that Gronk played a few snaps and was a non-factor and I hardly noticed.

It appears that Deflategate has done more damage to Goodell's reputation then to Brady and the Patriots. Goodell may have won a couple of battles but we are winning the war.

I think the only down in the game was Cyrus Jones fielding punts. I see he was replaced by Amendola later in the game. He did bait a Houston player into a penalty after the play was over. Interesting that CJ was on defense but I don't recall Coleman being out there. JJ Watt was a non factor while Collins was dominant.
Secondary played excellent. Throws were tightly contested. Patriots are so well coached, I think it is an advantage for them to play on Thursday nights.

It's great that Long and Bennett are allowed to talk freely and not have a muzzle put on them. JB is the most humble QB I have seen. I know we carried just 2 QB's on the roster because Brady is one tough SOB but I like having 3 QB on the roster. It's sad that Jerry is the assistant QB's coach and I have no clue who he is. I wonder who played the scout team QB? Blount, Ebner, Richards, Slater and J. Jones are a force on special team coverage. It's not going to happen but Scar should be in the NFL HoF when he retires. Blount is having a ball. His interviews after the game were sure fun to watch. It's crazy that Gronk played a few snaps and was a non-factor and I hardly noticed.

It appears that Deflategate has done more damage to Goodell's reputation then to Brady and the Patriots. Goodell may have won a couple of battles but we are winning the war.
Good question on the scout team. My guess would be either Casserio (who had made throws in TC), Josh (who was a college QB), or the QB coach

I don't know how it translated to TV since I haven't watched it yet but Osweiler sucks. At the game you could really see just how bad he was. He had some open receivers, who did him no favors when he did find them, but he sat on the ball too long again and again

I think he's just an average NFL quarterback who played on a short week, on the road, against a team that was much better prepared. His poor play was more about the Pats and the circumstances than it was an overall evaluation of him as a football player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3