PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "mental toughness" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Its after Thanksgiving and we expect to see our team start to play "Patriot Football". For almost 2 decades now the Pats have OWNED December. Since 2001 the Pats have won around 64 games in December and the #2 team (Pitts) isn't close. BTW- It's not like the Pats suck in September, October and November either (though lately September has been a trial) But it's been in December where the Pats have shown why they've been to the AFCC 12 times in 16 playoff seasons.

We know that this isn't the best team we've had in the last 5 years. We all see the flaws that often frustrate us to no end. And this game isn't going to send the media into singing paeans to the Gods about the 2018 Patriots either. Nothing seemed to stand out. Yet they beat a very talented team by 14 points and left us lamenting that it wasn't by more.

So now the Pats are 9-3 guaranteeing the team's 18th straight season of playing better than 500 football. Only the Cowboys (20) have ever had more. And given that Dallas did most their run before full FA and the age of "parity", what the Pats have accomplished is even more remarkable. So why is it that the Pats do so well in December. IMHO, its the team's mental toughness (hence the title. ;) )

But let's take a moment (or three) to talk about what that term actually means. It's not just one of the most cliched terms in all of sports. It's a combination of several factors that allow the Pats to get passed a lot of issues that derail a lot of teams this time of year. Among them should include: COACHING - the whole "attention to detail" and "accountability" thing we hear so much about from the Pats are NOT cliches. They embody and buy into these attributes from the pre-season camps, to TC, and as well as into the season.

So when December rolls around and every player is banged up in some fashion and teams start to pull back a bit from the physical requirements they ask of their players, the Pats keep running up that hill in both metaphorical and reality terms. So in another sense part of that "mental toughness" comes because the Pats are outworking their opponents.

I think the key thing we have to keep in mind, it it were easy to duplicate what the Pats do to prepare for games, they wouldn't have 18 straight years of winning seasons. Just look at the cultural adjustment issues Matt Patricia/Quinn are going through in Detroit. Whether Matt can establish that work ethic eventually will determine if his tenure will succeed or fail.

TEAMBUILDING - is another factor. Clearly, what the Pats ask their players to do is NOT for everyone. That doesn't make you a bad person or a bad football player. But finding the people who WILL buy in is a key element in this team's success. In this day and age, it isn't easy to find good players who are willing to sublimate their egos and their personal agendas for the good of the team. Stats get you paid, and you aren't likely to get the kind of stats that will get you big paydays here.

But enough of this. We've been talking about the "Patriot Way since 2001. It hasn't changed. But the fact they've been able to keep it going for at least 3 iterations over the last 2 decades is certainly noteworthy. But it's time to break THIS game down.

1. General offensive notes - Josh's play calling for most of the first 20 minutes boarded on genius. They completely kept a very good defense off balance and moved the ball pretty much at will. Only drops and penalties stopped the Pats during this time. But once again their recent inability to get the ball in from the red zone was really frustrating.

Now it isn't that they weren't always successful. You are never going to be ALWAYS success in the red zone. The other guys get paid too. But it is frustrating in that when you have 3 REALLY good red zone threats in Gronk, Gordon and CP, and you don't try and get them the ball; it can drive you a little nuts.

Gordon didn't get a target in the first half, nor was their much of a play action pass game (after the first drive). In fact there were hardly any downfield passing in the first half. Maybe it was just part of the plan. Keep running the ball and throwing short for most of the first 3 quarters and then explode on them, just like they did and get out to a 14 point lead and then sit on it.

I can almost hear McDaniels listening to my rants in the game day thread, and turn to me and say, "slow your roll, dude. I got this. I'm just biding my time. This isn't turning out to be a shoot-out game. When the time is right, I'll step on the gas and end this." And he did.

In the end the offense took one of the top 3rd down defenses in the league and converted 50% of their 3rd down plays, and it really should have been even better than that.

2. QB- For the first time in a while I LIKED what Brady did at QB. I liked that in those 2 TD drives he once again was stepping up into the pocket, buying time and throwing the ball downfield. This was a very good front seven and the Smith hit was about the only time Brady was hit hard, and that was the result of a mental error by Trent Brown or so he said after the game.

Brady completed 75% of his passes and was pretty much in control the entire game. And I will NOT talk about Brady cracking the 1000 yd rushing plateau like everyone else will be doing. ;)

3. OL - Another great job by the OL vs the excellent Viking pass rush. Zero sacks and very few hits and pressures, the OL once again held up well in their pass blocking. Run blocking wasn't as good, but effective enough amass 160 yds to SEVEN different rushers. Again this was against a REALLY good front 7.

4. RB's - No one stood out, but in this case the sum was greater than the individual parts. Sony did a very workman-like job, imho. I really like the fact that he generally gets all that there is to get on most runs. I think his vision is excellent as well as the fact that he is decisive and runs hard. On the other hand, he isn't an "explosive" runner who gets many yards on his own. Hard to watch what Cook accomplish and not think, "well THAT's what a first round RB should look like"

That being said, I'm glad he's on the team and we are better when he is in the lineup than when he isn't. However, watching him on the GL, I'm wondering if we took the right Georgia RB in this draft? Perhaps when/if they expand his receiving role down the road, we will see his true potential.

Good to have Rex back. We needed his depth dearly. Got his feet wet tonight.

Awesome receiving Game by JWhite, and he ran well too, but clearly we need a bigger RB to get the ball in from inside the 5, neither White, Michel, or Burkhead is really the answer there....and so enter James Devlin. ;) Clearly what the Doctor ordered....at least for this game. But the lack of the guy who can consistently get you that GL/3rd and short tough yardage is a gap in this offense that I'm not sure we will see solved this year.

5. Receivers - 7 different rushers, and NINE different receivers. Only White came close to 100 yds of which about half came at the end of the first half.

Between his multiple penalties and him not getting that half yard that cost the Pats 7 points at the end of the half, this wasn't Gronk's finest hour. Good to see him fight back after he got dinged, but for some reason he didn't seem to be "into it" tonight. Anyone else think that?

Watching CP make that great downfield catch tonight made me wonder (again) why he isn't more of a part of the downfield receiving corps. He is tough, willing, has great speed, size and hands combination. Clearly he is willing to be coached and do so many different things in this offense. So WHY hasn't he been able to find a spot in a regular WR rotation. It's not like he's a rookie. But he's been with 3 teams now and THIS is his best offensive season, and he's still seems to be just a "gadget" guy. I keep wondering if he can't be more.

6 General Defensive observations - I was worried about the defense before this game. I mean look at all elite skill players the Vikings have. Theilin, Diggs, Roudolph, Cook combination is as good as we will see this year. So holding them to just 10 points is a REAL accomplishment. Big kudos to Flo and the other defensive assistants. They had a great defensive game plan and with the exception of that last drive of the first half shut down what SHOULD be a very explosive offense.

I loved to see the the rolling amoeba defense make a reappearance after several years. Hard to figure out who had what responsibilities by in the end it seemed to work quite well. The Pats didn't have great pressure on Cousins, but it wasn't bad and certainly more than what the more heralded Vikings front put on Brady.

I also loved the fact that the Pats didn't lock on a specific receiver this game. Sometimes it was Gilmore on Theilin, sometimes it was JMcCourty, sometimes it was Jackson. Same went for Diggs and Treadwell.

7. Front Seven. - This was the best pass coverage by the LB's this season, imo. For example, Cook averaged over 9ypc on 9 rushes, yet averaged less that THREE ypc on 8 catches and 10 targets. That's not only great coverage, that's great Tackling and we saw how tough Cook was to tackle when he ran. In fact only Rudolph averaged over 10 yds per catch vs the Pats in this game and his longest came against great coverage and a spectacular catch.

Like I said the front had enough pressure to force Cousins to constantly throw the ball underneath and some of sacks came from well designed blitzes or stunts. The best example was Flower's sack when he came underneath from the DE spot to get free up the middle for a big sack.

Hightower had one of best games of the season tonight. His play to tackle Cook for a loss on a pass was encouraging to see. That is what you EXPECT to see from your premier front 7 player.

Finally, Lawrence Guy continues to impress me with his consistent good play. He was ROBBED of the stuff of Murray on that 4th down and short. He and Brown (I think) moved the LOS back good half yard and stood Murray up and back. Too bad the refs missed that.

8. DB's Maybe their best game of the season as a group. I can't help but marvel at the play of JC Jackson in that game. He made several plays last night matched up on some good WR's including Theilin and Diggs. Hard to believe he was an UDFA at his size and speed. What is he, 6'1? That's a big CB and no one could get by him deep. Still very raw, but he definitely be the next UDFA who will be asking for big money. ;)

Gilmore was routinely great again. He tackles so well, almost as well as he covers. I think Jason had Theillin most of the time and clearly did a great job. 10 targets, 5 catches for just 28 yds is remarkable against a guy who IIRC has had nine 100 yd games this season. The only mistake ended up being Theilin's score at the end of the half. I think Jason misread his route on that play and let him get outside him in the corner. But aside from that, he did a spectacular job.

JJ might have gotten out of the dog house with his pick and once again Harmon managed to scavenge another pick. ;) He seems to get so many of those, doesn't he?

9. ST's Bad miss (for him) by Gottskowski on the 48 yarder. That wasn't close. But that was about the only flaw in a rather good showing by special teams group. CP got the ball close to the 40 a few times and always past the 25 on the balls he returned and JE had a nifty 20 yd punt return that set up the 2nd TD, and lost an even better return due to a penalty. Allen was pretty flawless in his directional punts.

10. I thought the announcers did a good job in this game. Troy questioned things I thought should be questioned including the Murray stuff that wasn't and explained certain plays well, like the bust by TBrown on the Brady pick. In other words I didn't hate them, like I do some of the CBS crews. Romo is still my favorite ex-Cowboy QB analyst though.

11, The missed first down call aside, I wasn't horrified by this referee crew. They let them play downfield like I like, and though I thought there were too many holding calls, most were deserved. I wouldn't hate seeing them down the road.

12. I watch some of the Pittsburgh/Charger game. I stopped at half time so I could write this, so I'm kind of stunned (and happy) to see that the Steelers must have blown this game. I can hardly wait to revel in it tomorrow morning. Couldn't happen to a better organization.

BTW- don't look now but there are THREE 9-3 teams chasing the Chiefs for the #1 seed. The Chargers are very quietly having one hell of a year. No small feat to go into Pittsburgh and beat them, especially when you are trailing 23-7 at half time. :eek:

13. Miami coming up. Wouldn't seem to be a big problem EXCEPT the fact that the Pats have generally sucked in Miami in recent years. Lets see what happens

OK. I'm done. Too late to go back and edit, so pardons in advance for any grammatical errors. Enjoy (or not ;) ) but either way, add your comments, complaints and opinions

Patriots definitely stepped it up a notch. They are looking like a playoff team. How could the refs miss that fourth down stop when everybody else saw it?

"Paean" ?? You did not learn that at a poker table..

Thought yesterday the Pats played better than they have in a while, getting Develin involved gives future opponents something else to think about.. also nice to see Cordarelle involved in the passing game.

Not sure if Gronk is hurt, or disinterested.. but he does not seem to be as engaged as we are used to.. wonder if he is pondering his end in the NFL??

Defensively holding the Viking to 3 of 12 3rd downs showed a great defensive effort.

The challenge by BB on 4th down the Latavius Murray run, the refs said there was not conclusive evidence to overturn it.. gotta do better than that.

Adam Thielens dust up with BB is interesting, while the world gets their depends in a bunch over BB's "STFU" no one captured what Thielen said to precipitate that event... it's football, I expect passion and dedication, maybe Thielen does not understand the commitment to winning that exists by the NEP....

Thought this was a good defensive effort, particularly in the D backfield.. from my big comfy couch this was the best game they played together this season... JC Jackson showed great improvement and int's by Jones & Harmon showed great D awareness... Chung hurt??

Now we are on to South Florida.. weather predicted to be about 81 degrees with 81% Humidity on Sunday..

BTW another winning season, we are lucky fans to be witnessing this..

As always, thanks, Ken, for your timely first impressions and insights. Always great points to ponder.

A few observations from a slightly different perspective:

The Pats offense went 3/4, 75%, in the red zone yesterday - against the league's #1 red zone defense that was averaging a 43% success rate against. The Pats also converted 50% of their 3rd downs against the league's #1 3rd-down defense that had previously allowed a 27% conversion rate.

BB himself explained that the Vikes changed their coverage scheme in the 3rd-Q (stopped using split safeties) which made Gordon a more viable target. McD/Brady adjusted to take advantage when the opportunity presented itself.

IMHO, the Pats don't really need ONE guy who can consistently run for short yardage and goal line TDs all season long. All they really need is a guy (or two) who can be sufficiently successful with consistency over a short span so that he becomes a threat that defenses need to account for - so that the Pats can later fake it to him and do something else.

Gronk just was moving well after the first couple of drives yesterday. I'm guessing more intermittent back spasms.

This really isn't Patterson's "best" offensive season. He's on a pace to get significantly more total touches from scrimmage in 2018 than he's had before (71 this season v. his previous high of 51 back in 2016 w/ Minny), but that's entirely due to the two game stretch in which he got 21 touches at RB. Otherwise, he's on pace to hit right around his career averages for yards from scrimmage and TDs. The Pats have been optimizing what he can do. Using him more (while, necessarily, using someone else less) isn't all that likely to make the team "better". That said, if Gronk's evident issues with his back continue, any adjustment seems likely to result in Patterson seeing more touches.

The defense had two sacks, 6 QBH, drew three or four holding penalties (and, as always, there were a couple others that could have been called). JJ's late interception was due to pressure. So, they got pressure on at least 25% of Cousins' 44 drop backs (and probably more).

Jackson has been playing really well and improving for the last few games. His usage was actually boosted last week against the Jete, when he replaced JMac at LCB, and JMac replaced Jones in the slot for the entire 2nd half. It should also be noted that it was Jackson's PBU that put the ball in the air for Harmon to catch for his interception. Not to take anything away from Harmon. He's had at least four picks that I can recall (including the one to end the Steelers' game last season) due to his uncanny ability to track and grab a deflected ball that tumbling randomly through space.

I may not be quite as concerned about the "playing in Miami" jinx as others. The 2018 'Fins are just not a very good team offensively or defensively. They only beat the Bills yesterday because the Bills' offense and ST shot themselves in the foot one too many times and gave the Fin's short fields. The 'Fins offense produced a whopping 175 net yards, 15 total first downs, went 2/9 on 3rd down, and averaged 3.5 yds/play (and failed to cover) against a very good Bills defense that held the Pats to 18 offensive points in week-8 in Buffalo. If the Pats play Miami with the same type of whole-team discipline that they showed yesterday, next weeks game should be no contest. Frankly, I'm far more concerned about the second meeting with the Bills in week-16 against their solid defense, and against an unpredictable Josh Allen and his ability/willingness to run (and run very well).

Thielen's TD against the twins resulted from a pick play in which Gilmore, running the opposite direction, collided with whichever McCourty was in front of Thielen (Devin, I think). That's the only reason why Thielen got any separation; it wasn't really their mistake. Later, the twins were doubled/bracketed on Thielen again and both of them bit on Thielen's double-move, allowing him to split them and get up the right seam for what may have been his longest completion of the game. One of the twins made up for it by catching Thielen from behind (with an assist from Harmon) before he got very far.

The Steelers' arrogance (especially from Roethlisberger and Tomlin) has always been their Achilles Heel, and it's cost them this season.

Josh's play calling for most of the first 20 minutes boarded on genius. They completely kept a very good defense off balance and moved the ball pretty much at will. Only drops and penalties stopped the Pats during this time. But once again their recent inability to get the ball in from the red zone was really frustrating.

Now it isn't that they weren't always successful. You are never going to be ALWAYS success in the red zone. The other guys get paid too. But it is frustrating in that when you have 3 REALLY good red zone threats in Gronk, Gordon and CP, and you don't try and get them the ball; it can drive you a little nuts.

Gordon didn't get a target in the first half, nor was their much of a play action pass game (after the first drive). In fact there were hardly any downfield passing in the first half. Maybe it was just part of the plan. Keep running the ball and throwing short for most of the first 3 quarters and then explode on them, just like they did and get out to a 14 point lead and then sit on it.

I can almost hear McDaniels listening to my rants in the game day thread, and turn to me and say, "slow your roll, dude. I got this. I'm just biding my time. This isn't turning out to be a shoot-out game. When the time is right, I'll step on the gas and end this." And he did.

Exactly. While we had the usual influx of trolls in the GDT who were asking for McDaniels' head because of that direct snap to White he called overall a great game keeping the Vikings mostly off-balance.

Was every drive a smashing success ? Nope. But you are playing against another professional football team that has a very experienced defensive head coach. They will win on some plays as well most notably when they sniffed out that screen on which Brady gave up immediately.

Go short initially, work on your run game against a very, very good run defense and then capitalize on all that setup work down the line with play action and the usual intermediate-to-deep concepts.

And lets not forget that if Brady determines the front to be advantageous to run against he can always just check to a run. The White direct snap was a good design that got screwed over by Gronk's whiff on a blocking assignment. If we run straight at that front on 3rd and short and get stopped I wonder if people whine about the playcall as well. Their run defense is how the Vikings have been so good on third down statistically speaking so far this season.

Were there better plays ? I guess so but that was the personnel they had on the field and it is what it is.

Another great job by the OL vs the excellent Viking pass rush. Zero sacks and very few hits and pressures, the OL once again held up well in their pass blocking. Run blocking wasn't as good, but effective enough amass 160 yds to SEVEN different rushers. Again this was against a REALLY good front 7.

The one aspect that they need to clean up -- and this goes beyond the OL as well -- are pre-snap penalties and holding calls. Now I get that the latter often is a coinflip in terms of being called or not but still gotta minimize it and they have one of the best in the game to teach them that.

Good to have Rex back. We needed his depth dearly. Got his feet wet tonight.

He could be the x-factor for us down the stretch. He brings something that both White and Michel don't, he gives them short breathing breaks and can be used as a slot receiver. Some of the formations with Rex on the field yesterday out of 2 RB personnel were awesome and I can't wait what Josh and the rest of the staff are working on / setting up.

So WHY hasn't he been able to find a spot in a regular WR rotation. It's not like he's a rookie. But he's been with 3 teams now and THIS is his best offensive season, and he's still seems to be just a "gadget" guy. I keep wondering if he can't be more.

It is because he doesn't fully understand the offense. He regularly lines up wrong and has to be corrected by teammates and his route running is extremely inconsistent. Which means you can't have him in a lot of the up tempo packages without limiting your playcalls. But I think the staff is slowly figuring out the right balance in terms of how to use him and despite limited snaps he can be valuable piece.

I loved to see the the rolling amoeba defense make a reappearance after several years. Hard to figure out who had what responsibilities by in the end it seemed to work quite well.

I love it as well. I hope it was not a one-off against Cousins but we will see it more often now that the coaching staff seems to be trusting their front 7 players more than early in the season.

I think Jason had Theillin most of the time and clearly did a great job. 10 targets, 5 catches for just 28 yds is remarkable against a guy who IIRC has had nine 100 yd games this season. The only mistake ended up being Theilin's score at the end of the half. I think Jason misread his route on that play and let him get outside him in the corner. But aside from that, he did a spectacular job.

I agree. JMac has sneakily been maybe the best vet offseason signing this year. Hell maybe the best offseason signing period especially given his contract. The Gordon trade obviously is exempted from this.

JJ might have gotten out of the dog house with his pick and once again Harmon managed to scavenge another pick.

The most amazing part about Harmon's pick was the work by JCJ in coverage. I think Lazar put a clip up how JCJ didn't get fooled by a double move and stayed on the receiver perfectly in position, looked back for the ball and broke up the pass. That was some amazing stuff.

Last edited:
The Pats offense went 3/4, 75%, in the red zone yesterday - against the league's #1 red zone defense that was averaging a 43% success rate against. The Pats also converted 50% of their 3rd downs against the league's #1 3rd-down defense that had previously allowed a 27% conversion rate.

Bingo. Given who they were playing it was quite a good game.

Gronk just was moving well after the first couple of drives yesterday. I'm guessing more intermittent back spasms.

That is an interesting theory.

That is an interesting theory.

Not even a theory; just a hypothesis. He just didn't seem to be able to generate any power through his hips when blocking, or to twist his upper-body around at all - stiffer than usual. He also appeared to be playing more upright than usual. He certainly wasn't the guy who made that incredible over-the-shoulder, tiptoe catch at the two-yard-line earlier in the season.

Not even a theory; just a hypothesis. He just didn't seem to be able to generate any power through his hips when blocking, or to twist his upper-body around at all - stiffer than usual. He also appeared to be playing more upright than usual. He certainly wasn't the guy who made that incredible over-the-shoulder, tiptoe catch at the two-yard-line earlier in the season.

Agreed. Gronk seems not able to fall forwards after contact which is so unlike him. He is clearly playing hurt. It’s a little heartbreaking.

1. WTF was up with this crew and spotting the ball? They were giving the offense an extra half yard it seemed on every spot. Cause the offense needs yet another advantage.

2. I don't see how they don't overturn that 4th down on the Vikings. It wasn't even close. On the other challenge I knew they weren't overturning it even though it was close.

3. Josh did call a masterful game. If I had two complaints it was the 4th down where he called the misdirection with White. The Vikings are a downhill defense and where they're defending the sticks that was never going to succeed. I think the play there would have been the heavy set where they were alternating between letting Devlin smashing it in or Michel running behind him but in this instance going play action. 10-15 yards down the field. It would have been wide open.

My second beef was the first series of the third quarter where they came out ultra conservative doing a lot of the things they already had in the first half. The Vikings had clearly caught up. So the second comes with the caveat that after that Josh readjusted and they played the rest of the second half brilliantly.

4. Great game for Brady and the OL minus Brown missing that assignment and then Brady throwing that pick. If they play like that in the playoffs they'll be tough.

5. What exactly does David Andrews do to players that they're always trying to rib his head off? It seems like every week he draw a hands to the face penalty and really it seems like they could call it more often.

6. Great defensive game plan as well. They really took advantage of the Vikings interior OL weakness and made them pay for it. Now against a good OL like Pittsburgh coming up I still worry because they aren't going to scheme their way to pressure. It will be interesting to see how the Vikings fare coming up because they have some pressure defenses, Seattle and Chicago for two, who will look at what the Pats did and shorten Cousins time to throw while using a similar coverage against Diggs and Thelen. Unless the teams below them implode I bet they don't make the playoffs.

7. I liked Thelen's explanation and you can't blame a guy for being passionate. I like Harmon's comments about Bill showing his emotions for once like the Mason video.

8. Did anybody notice Brady moving forward on his kneel down at the end of the game? Was he trying to stay above a 1000 yards? That seems so un-Brady-like. I'm glad Fox flashed him trying Manning in total TDs but it was like they were trying to diminish the accomplishment with "well it helps when you're there every year playing so many playoff games" or some such rubbish. It helps when you don't dribble piss down your leg every year like Manning did Troy and Buck. TB earned all those extra games.

To Aikman's credit he did nail why Brady wins. He talked about a game where they were overmatched and Brady just kept throwing the ball into the turf when there was nothing rather than take the sack. In the end they won.

Playoff and regular season combined.

Brady 301 games, 533 sacks, 1.78/game
Rodgers 177 games, 436 sacks 2.46/game

I know they're different types of QBs but at basically three-quarters of a sack per game AR is putting his team in a much worse position to win.

9. If this team can stay healthy they're in the mix. Getting all these pieces back especially on the OL is huge. The problem is the talent level in a lot of cases to the next guy inline isn't what it's been in past years. They're thin.

10. If the Pats win out and KC loses a single game the Pats are the #1 seed. Seattle, SD and Baltimore in that order are the best bets. If SD beats KC and KC also loses another game coupled with both Houston and SD winning out the Pats would be the 2 seed with Houston or SD being the #1 seed depending on how a lot of other games end up.

Personally I'd rather have KC as the 2 seed with Houston as the 3 seed. I'll take my chances at home vs either Pitt or SD who have mostly stationary QBs. I think Houston will take care of any of the 6 seeds even Baltimore but the Ravens would be the scariest match up for both Houston and NE if either team lets them hang around. Their offense isn't that good their defense is good enough to make you worry.

11. Miami the house of horrors. On paper the Pats win by more than a score but this one makes me nervous. It's just never easy there.

10. If the Pats win out and KC loses a single game the Pats are the #1 seed. Seattle, SD and Baltimore in that order are the best bets. If SD beats KC and KC also loses another game coupled with both Houston and SD winning out the Pats would be the 2 seed with Houston or SD being the #1 seed depending on how a lot of other games end up.
For the Pats to be #2 with Houston as #1, it would have to be a three way tie. In a 2 team ( Hou and NE) the Pats would win the tie breaker based on head to head.

Patriots definitely stepped it up a notch. They are looking like a playoff team. How could the refs miss that fourth down stop when everybody else saw it?
Did NY call to the line judge, first down....

Ken, a more spectacular post than usual. And I did greatly enjoy seeing the Amoeba defense in action. Guess they don't want to use it too often, but with the back-end defense beginning to excel and the front lien coming together, it certainly feels dangerous and I'd like to see it more often.

giphy.gif

Patriots played a great game. Well balanced. 9-3 sounds good. I’m happy where they are

For the Pats to be #2 with Houston as #1, it would have to be a three way tie. In a 2 team ( Hou and NE) the Pats would win the tie breaker based on head to head.

It specifically has to be a three way tie with the Chargers where they win the division not KC. The Pats beat both KC and Houston and that's the first tiebreaker. Because SD and NE didn't play that's off the table. Also there's a certain combination where SD actually becomes the #1 seed, NE #2 and Houston #3. In no three way tie scenario does NE become the #3 seed.

Wow - I felt so much better about that game yesterday than I did last week's game, even though they played out similarly score-wise. The D did a great job against a team with two very good wide-outs, to the point where one of them felt he had to yell at BB during the game (LOL, the Football Gods laughed at that one). Josh Gordon was virtually forgotten about the entire game, until he came out of nowhere and made two great plays, one for a 1st down and one for a scamper into the EZ. Patterson made a nice fingertips catch. Burkhead made some contributions. I enjoyed Brady's big smile when he ran for those 5 yards (he DOES care about stats, LOL). The team did not look shaky to me like the week before. We looked determined and confident.

My 3 ticky-tack complaints:

3rd & 1 at the end of the 1st half - why Josh, why? Just run off tackle or even try the Brady sneak there. Some huge lateral run to the outside? Allowed Mini to stay in the game for a little while longer when they got the ball back with two minutes remaining. Remember how we used to score there and then score again to open the 2nd half Josh? Remember, huh? huh?

God-d%#*!@t Ghost why can't you make a FG from the left hash from the 30 yd. line?! When he was lining up I thought to myself, "he is not making this." Then the ball (which did seem deflated - did anybody check?) sort of whumped in slow motion outside the uprights. Maddening!!

Just kick the GD ball into the EZ every time! They got a 10 yd. gift every time we didn't.

That is all. Good game. I am going to the Miami game next weekend. Hoping to see our boys clinch the division in enemy territory. Go Pats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down