PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - The "did you expect anything less" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
^
THIS x 1000

There was a time, not all that long ago, that once or twice a game the PI flag would come out then be picked up and we would hear, "There is no penalty for PI as the ball was uncatchable."
Now we routinely see balls thrown 2 yards OOB or 5 feet over a WR's head draw PI penalties that influence a game's outcome. If the league isn't going to give us an 'eye in the sky' official the least they could do is allow coaches to challenge whether or not a ball was catchable. It is maddening to see a ball fall well outside the field of play and watch an offense be rewarded for it.

Then there's all the cheap yards given on PI calls that should have been flagged for holding or illegal contact, but that's a b!tch for another time.
It wasn’t catchable because he was being held...he absolutely could have gotten there if not. I hate when they deem it uncatchable when the guy didn’t have an opportunity to make it there.

I don’t know why they didn’t give Zeke 40 carries. He was killing us and they just went away from him.
Same reason why I wondered why Sony didn't get 30 carries.

Both teams felt passing was a strength and wanted to take advantage of it.

Just a bad decision IMO.

White’s game is a result of there not being much else in the passing game aside from Edelman yesterday. They could concentrate on taking him out and they could execute it well because they have an athletic group of LBs.
It was smart by them to game plan him out. I felt Dallas played good defense. They obviously chose to let the rooks beat them. Thank god for that blocked punt and the defense.

Ive had it with Aikman. Hes gotten lazy.
OT: Ever listen to Hubie Brown do NBA broadcasts. His schtick is as lazy as it gets.....just recites shooting percentages.... that’s it

It wasn’t catchable because he was being held...he absolutely could have gotten there if not. I hate when they deem it uncatchable when the guy didn’t have an opportunity to make it there.

Yeah, he absolutely would have caught that ball 2 yards OOB or 5 feet over his head at the back of the end zone ;)

White’s game is a result of there not being much else in the passing game aside from Edelman yesterday. They could concentrate on taking him out and they could execute it well because they have an athletic group of LBs.
Also there might be some load management going on for White because hes dealing with a toe injury.

In terms of snap count and % he was 21/30% vs DAL. Vs MIA he was 22/31%

Last year his lowest snap %s all came in Dec

In 2017 his < 30% all came in 10/29 and in Nov. IIRC he was banged up then too

OT: Ever listen to Hubie Brown do NBA broadcasts. His schtick is as lazy as it gets.....just recites shooting percentages.... that’s it
Hes awful. Never liked him. Even when he coached the Knicks

On at least 3 drops, Pats receivers got their hands up late which never happens. I wonder if the time of day, mist/rain, lights etc created depth perception issues.

Bailey didn’t have a great game, though on one of the TBs he placed it fine but Slater couldn’t hold up his end of the deal.

I think these two could be related. If we're thinking about the same punt, Slater clearly lost track of the ball which never happens. Poor visibility combined with weird wind gusts seem a likely factor.

Its a tired act.

They really don't work well off each other. Aikman outside of Cowgals games isn't all that bad but then Joe Buck... kinda says it all.

They really don't work well off each other. Aikman outside of Cowgals games isn't all that bad but then Joe Buck... kinda says it all.
All those hair plugs have damaged his brain.

May be true now, but between 03-13 (when I used to live and breathe the game) Hubie was a magnificent NBA analyst. Can’t watch the NBA anymore. Game’s not the same.

For the 59 yarder I think McCourty was playing robber and the Pats were in man. In the background you can see a Pats DB getting caught in traffic as the ball is in the air, the WR’s man defender. McCourty can’t defend the pass but hustles to get the tackle.

McCourty made up some ground and the angle and still popped the ball out. Too bad it went right back to the WR.

I'd also like to give kudos to those fans who attended yesterday's game. I think of them whenever I see poor weather. It would be easy for them to sell their tickets and stay nice and warm in front of the fireplace (if they have one) while watching the game from their easy chairs. Thanks to you all.
Going in that was one of the things I wanted to put into my post, but forgot to. Thank you for pointing this out. As tough as it was for the players to play in those conditions, they got paid to do it. It was tougher for the fans, and they had to pay for the "privilege". ;)

The Aikman/Buck combo has always been one of the worst on TV.
Buck is boring but I think he’s fine. I don’t know why Aikman doesn’t get more ****, everyone hates Buck but I think Aikman is the bigger problem.

He brings absolutely nothing to the broadcast. Guy is a hall of fame QB, he’s gotta know more. I’d much rather have Phil Simms paired with Buck than listen to Aikman.

Yeah, he absolutely would have caught that ball 2 yards OOB or 5 feet over his head at the back of the end zone ;)
?

I think it’s totally reasonable he could have made a play on the ball if he wasn’t held

A few disconnected thoughts

On at least 3 drops, Pats receivers got their hands up late which never happens. I wonder if the time of day, mist/rain, lights etc created depth perception issues. Maybe odd only to me.

Pats running great at times usually leads to play action..... But McDaniels preferred empty backfield formations in the second half that accomplished next to nothing in terms of points.
1 screen pass?
Too little White
Odd

Dome team wilts in the elements.
Witten needs to retire again
Elliot is tremendous

You know what BB is most satisfied about after the game: Screwing with Dallas’ punting game. The master just schooled a neophyte, over and over again

Does Harry have a second route in his repertoire besides back shoulder?

Fuc* Aikman for saying Meyers belongs on practice squad.

Crazy weather at home games this year.....and snow season has yet to arrive. Feels like ‘01... team and weather

I heard somewhere that this winter is going to be more wet than snowy. 2001 was the greatest EVAH!

I remember the hands coming up late. Good thought.

I get annoyed at Josh sometimes but I feel like a complainer if I express it too often.

I was trying to explain to my non-sports fan son about dome teams' struggles in weather. Oddly, I also let him know to be on the lookout for Pats' screens.

I can't say for sure if Belichick actually likes to mess with coaches or if he just likes winning more.

Harry is still learning. I hope he gets it sooner rather than later, but he still looks like a beast in the making.

Unfortunately, it seems like most tv/sports people suck. I usually turn down the sound.

uhhhhhh.......because he wasn't 'killing' us?????
Do you follow everyone else around saying stupid things or just me? He averaged 4.1 a carry (21 for 86) and added 4 catches for 40 yards. On drives that he got at least 2 carries the Cowboys ended up with a field goal attempt 4 out of 6 times.

Think before you type.

I don’t know why they didn’t give Zeke 40 carries. He was killing us and they just went away from him.
Especially on those third and shorts -- even three or four yards, you have to stick with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back