PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The "cracks in the armor" edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I counted 4 missed tackles on Chubb’s long run. Take that 55 yarder away and he is 19 carries for 76 yards and just 4 YPC.

They have been occasionally prone to that a bit this year- I think the Redskins and Bills got a long one off them for the same reason. Would be good to clean that up.

Chubb broke tackles on basically every run.

The "tomato cans" we just took apart in yet another not particularly competitive game yesterday just recently totally blew out who you consider a "potential conference final matchup".

Your math doesn't make much sense to me.

Even tomato cans win games against good teams. See the losses the Pats had last year

5. OL - The fact that Ferentz was the choice to replace Mason tonight really disappointed me. Elumanour by all reports, is by far the better prospect, so I figured he's be the one to get the nod in Mason's absence. The fact that he wasn't makes me wonder about the 3 trades we made for Cunningham, Elumanour, and the other guy we cut a couple of weeks ago, and just what we got for what we gave away. If Elumanour couldn't beat out Karras, who was getting hammered by guys who were playing for a chance to make it in the XFL, what's going on with our pro scouting department, and dare I say....Dante? It's a nice story that the future HC of Iowa got his first start of his career, but I GOT to think we can do better. Right?

Ferentz and Karras have been in our system for years. Elu has only been in it for a few months- he's not going to get thrown out there unless there's an emergency.

The GDT was all over Newhouse, but it is so hard to tell (at least for me) who is or is not screwing up from the TV feed. We shall see. By Wednesday Kyed, Bedard, and Howe, etc will have their own breakdowns
for us to discuss.

Also a very simple answer here, if Newhouse was sufficiently talented and/or athletic, he would NOT have been on the streets a full month after the NFL season started.

He is serviceable, period. His only job is to prevent Brady from getting killed, and so far he is doing that. He is not talented or athletic enough to overcome any mistakes he makes, so if he loses pad level, takes a bad angle, or bites on a feint, he's finished.

Last edited:
Ravens are a different team than they were four weeks ago. As are we. Try again.

What does this even mean ? How are the Ravens different ? What changed ? Losing one of their better cornerbacks in addition to an elite ST player in exchange for the inconsistent mess that is Marcus Peters ?

Sounds like they got worse.

No need to over think this.

Patriots are 8-0 but definitely need to get better.

That’s on Belichick to figure out, not me. I’m fairly certain we will get better when guys return.

I’ve never lost any sleep worrying about the Patriots

the run game has to be the #1 focus for BB right now.

How do we stop the run more consistently and how do we run the football?

How many teams have been 8-0 who don't control the LOS? Seems rare.

It's funny, we win by 14 in bad weather and people are concerned. The Colts win a game by 2 points at home against a team that is struggling offensively and we should be concerned because they look good.

Love this place, some things will never change.

Win by 14 in bad weather, on a short week, against a team coming off its bye. And it would have been 20 if not for the missed FGs.

Win by 14 in bad weather, on a short week, against a team coming off its bye. And it would have been 20 if not for the missed FGs.

or it would have been 7 if Chubb does not fumble.

I honestly do not understand all the angst. This version of the Patriots is it's most dominant version since 2007 and the gap between the Pats and other top teams in the AFC appears to be significant. The biggest difference between this team and prior Patriots teams is the fact that the defense is the better unit. Pats offense has clearly struggled at times but certainly not as much as some stretches of defensive "woes" in recent years (early 2017) This may be a year where we'd rather have to defend a game winning drive than having to score one. I personally am enjoying every minute of it.

This!

I thought yesterday's game was great! Sloppy conditions is always fun to watch. It's mid-season and we already have a nice cushion in the AFC standings as we head into the meat of our schedule.

Ahead we will undoubtedly experience "character-building" games, some of which we may lose (God Forbid! Say it isn't so! :eek:) I fully expect the Pats will learn as much as they can, maximize what talent they have, and go deep in the playoffs once again. Entertainment at its best! Good times!

Really! What team would you rather be? :D

Go Pats!

or it would have been 7 if Chubb does not fumble.

90% of the fumble is a brilliant and determined play by JJones and not some lucky turnover. You are making it sound like the ball bounces our way.

-The team shouldn't have to go for it on every kick that is 40 yards or more. That increases the likelihood of not getting points. Against great teams that will come back to haunt them. This position needs to be upgraded as soon as possible. He's definitely a liability.

- Karras had a rough game. Noticed more floaters out there too. The OL as a whole was poor. An extra blocker may be necessary against Baltimore. Or scheming needs work.

-Choosing Michel over Chubb was definitely a mistake. Chubb is able to pick up big yards without spectacular blocking and/or holes. Not so much for Sony. The drafting/personnel decisions over the past few years is a topic for a different day.

-Unless a trade is made for a lineman before Sunday. Or a tight end is brought in (Both very unlikely), it's up to the defense to get us to 9-0. BB has had alot of success against 1st and 2nd year starters. Hope that continues.

League wide, the Colts are looking very good. And other than @New Orleans & Houston, their schedule is very favorable. Need them to drop a few more games.

Im guessing you didnt watch the Colts game. They barely squeaked by a punchless Broncos team and failed to really move the ball with any consistency. Brissett was a hot mess for most of the game. That team does not scare me. Mack ran well but Brissett was VERY hot and cold (mostly cold) and the Broncos took TY away and there isnt much behind him.

90% of the fumble is a brilliant and determined play by JJones and not some lucky turnover. You are making it sound like the ball bounces our way.

forcing the fumble was not luck. recovering was 50/50.

Plus that Nugent was missing kicks was bound to happen. Expected result.

No need to over think this.

Patriots are 8-0 but definitely need to get better.

That’s on Belichick to figure out, not me. I’m fairly certain we will get better when guys return.

I’ve never lost any sleep worrying about the Patriots

This post sums up how all of us should feel. Let the pro's handle this. Their track record is pretty good to say the least.

There are reasons I'm not as excited as I could be with the team at 8-0. Those are injuries on offense, the lack of a decent TE and the truly pathetic schedule they've played.

The combined record of their opponents is a staggering 14-42 (.250). That's way below the next worst teams. SF at 16-35 (.314) and the Ratbirds at 17-32-1 (.347).

Disconnected thoughts...

On my scorecard, the Pats OL is 0-8 in the LOS battles this season. No need to point fingers, it’s clear 2 of their five current starters are awful.
Of all the team’s issues, major or minor, and even with a healthy Wynn( see how long he lasts this go around), I’m doubting this team can go the distance with this patched together ensemble of OL.

Pats DL was gashed yesterday but I’m curious how much the quick 17-0 lead had to do with it. It felt like the “Bend” defense made its first appearance of the year. Set up for pass and minimize the run?

How was the wind yesterday?
Was footing an issue?
I ask because clearly Nugent was being managed and Romo mentioned Nugent was slow on his blocked FG approach.
In perfect conditions at Met Life, Nugent was dead accurate.

Thoughts on who is calling D plays after the triple screen of BB, young B, and Mayo?

Maybe I just drink too much Pats Koolaid but it seems to me McDaniels can dial up a dominant offensive series when the team most needs it... 3rd quarter screen pass success leading to quick TD. Happened in another game.... quick strike offense in the third qtr to regain dominance.
My point: I think I think NE has bullets, certainly not as many as in past years, ready and available to fire. And given the nature of the first 8 games and the dominance of the D, NE has been able to keep most of the best bullets in storage.
Ridiculous optimism?
Rantings of lunatic?
Mad genius?
We’ll see

Finally:
Dear GM BB: Shore up the OL with real
NFL talent. Leave nothing to chance.
Sincerely,
One Entitled Fan

Was I imagining it, or did the D switch to zone for much of the second half?

forcing the fumble was not luck. recovering was 50/50.

Plus that Nugent was missing kicks was bound to happen. Expected result.
Not 50/50. Pats had numerical advantage. Pats DBs were in pursuit while Chubb had outrun most of his teammates.

-Choosing Michel over Chubb was definitely a mistake. Chubb is able to pick up big yards without spectacular blocking and/or holes. Not so much for Sony. The drafting/personnel decisions over the past few years is a topic for a different day.

League wide, the Colts are looking very good. And other than @New Orleans & Houston, their schedule is very favorable. Need them to drop a few more games.

Yeah, this roster is obviously a disaster. :rolleyes:
It wasn't Michel who coughed up the rock twice yesterday.

The Colts had their hands full at home with a weak Denver team that has a decided tendency to self immolate, that was far from 'very good' yesterday. It's telling that you are casually dismissive of their 2 games remaining against a good Jax D. But hey, you do you

nothing new yesterday.......defense has had it's momentary lapses this year......sometimes I think it's hard to remain focused when up 3 scores in the 1st quarter.

Browns are talented at their skill positions and have some really good defensive players.....when Mayfield is not busy playing like an idiot, he has the talent to beat anyone.

one more week to the bye......then the real season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back