PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the bye edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. It’s really been an odd season. Think about it. Nothing much has really worked out as we thought in the when the season began.

a. It took Gronk 3 weeks longer to be ready than most (not I) believed….,,and the “delay” carried with it the usual unjustified media crap storm.

b. 2 of the guys that were on everyone’s “can’t get hurt” list, Mayo and Wilfolk, got hurt, Plus add Tommy Kelly, to that list, just when it it looked like he was going to be the perfect pick up as the inside pressure DT

c. The pre-season luster of Thomkins, Dobson, Boyce and Sudfeld, quickly was lost to the reality of the regular season

d. The “all world” OL has been anything but. We lose our 2nd best Olman for the season, our top paid guy is playing like a JAG, and it looks like last year’s Cinderella (Wendell) has turned back into a pumpkin :eek:

e. Brady picked this season to have his worst start since 2005. Bad decisions, inaccuracies ,and a boat load of excuses (being made for him NOT by him) marked most of the first half of the season.,

So here we are 7-2 without the entire middle of our Defense. Not only are we 7-2, we are 7-2 and just a mind numbing penalty and a god-sent downburst (and a pretty good defense) from being undefeated, and if the season ended today, our “little engine that could would have one of the byes. :eek:

So our all world QB's stats are pedestrian. Our all world OL has been inconsistent at best, and both the heart and soul of the defense is no longer available. So while in most recent years we'd be thinking about how we lost those 2 games, THIS year the discussion has been more about how we managed to win the 7.

2. I think we have all forgotten how hard it is to win in the NFL. This entire season has been a real eye openener as to how easy and quickly it is to fall from grace in this league. Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Giants are the three most obvious teams that have fallen off the map so quickly. But the teams like the Ravens have also found it hard to repeat as perennial winners. Something we take for granted so easily here,

The level of success that we’ve seen the last 13 is simply hard to comprehend. Think about it. The 9-7 hiccup in 2002, while the Patriot way was still in formation has been the ONLY “hiccup” in a record of double digit win seasons since that time. No other team is even close. And what makes it even more remarkable is that 9-7 “black mark” has been good enough on TWO occasions (IIRC) to get teams to superbowl wins,

3, Well how the hell do they do it? They are good at the draft but not great. We make as many talent evaluation mistakes as the next guy, We have a bunch of good players but so does everyone else. So how is it that this organization manages to put out winning teams EVERY year, regardless of the unexpected,

4, If I may be presumptuous, I think it comes down to a basic concept of the game of football that this organization understands better than the rest. One that makes the game so compelling for us to watch, and why we love it so much, That concept is that the production of the group CAN be greater than the sum of the individual parts. While its both simple and cliché, its true. A team can be better than the individuals that make it up. Far more than any other team game, football is a game where the the best TEAM, not the best players wins.

5. Easy to say but how does it happen and why is it so elusive to duplicate. What has Bill Bellichick and Bob Kraft put together here that has allowed this kind of consistent success to happen. Its not something that easily put together otherwise the failures of Romeo, Pioli, Mangini, and McDaniels in setting up their own programs wouldn’t have been so compelling. Only Tommy Dimitriov has come close to seeing the same kind of consistency in his program, but even he isn’t close.

6. OK lets try and break it down. Its not going to be easy. This is the subject that needs a book to even get close to a handle on, let alone a message board thread, but lets try anyway, ;)

a. Leadership/coaching consistency -

There has been one message, one central core of truths that has been there from the beginning. It starts from the owner and is emphasized from the HC and the rest of the staff. Every player who wears the uniform understands what is expected of them. There are no surprises. Everyone has a role and excellence is expected, regardless of the role.

b. One language -

This might surprise some, but people forget how important communications are, both during the week, as well as during the game, and each system has its own language which is as different to the uninitiated as English is from Chinese.

Being able to communicate information quickly and concisely is often critical to the success of the battle. For the past 14 years, throughout several different offensive and defensive changes, the “language” has remained the same and is spoken fluently by all the managers and key personnel, Time and effort are set aside for all the players to learn this language and the improvements can be seen as more key players reach true “fluency”. Better production on the field, comes as a result as players move from being able understand basic commands to understanding subtle concepts. (See Steve Gregory as a good example)

While it doesn’t take long to learn how to be able to basically communicate in a new language, it takes time to be proficient enough to fully understand the “idiom” and subtlety. In other words, while you can quickly figure out how to ask for directions and get food, however it takes a lot more to be able to have a discussion on philosophy in a new language, The fact that the Pats have had just one “language” over this era is a huge and underrated advantage,

Being able to communicate complex instructions in a minimum of verbiage is a difficult task for any linguist, especially when you think you not only have to get your message across to your own players while a the same time disguising them from your opponent.

c. No fear of failure -

No team has done more more “outside the box” thinking in the league than the Pats. At a time where the 90% of the rest of the league was 4-3 based, the Pats were a 3-4 system. At a time when running games controlled offenses, the Pats came out with a 4 wide standard offense that changed the game. And just when everyone was showing their own versions of 3 and 4 Wide offenses the Pats go to 2 TE’s, and now that everyone is featuring their own TE’s I can’t wait to see what’s next. I have no idea what it will be be, but I’m pretty sure it will be different from the what the rest of the league is currently running.

d. Being able to game plan offensively and defensively week to week,.

This has got to do with the language issue as well as being willing to think outside of the box. Being able to communicate is critical to being able to come out with an offensive and defensive game plans that are match up specific to each team. While its one thing to find advantageous individual match ups for team each week, think about the complexity necessary to get your players into the correct matchups on specific downs and distances and still stay within a system that is understood by all 11 players, and to be able to communicate all that information in under a half dozen words. :eek: This isn't something that you can simply bring into a team environment, its something that has had to evolve over years.

It should be noted that when injuries and/or talent have been down enough so that the team has been unable to do this week to week planning and has been forced into very vanilla schemes, we have seen some almost historically bad weeks as far as yardage goes

The Pats have such a system in place and when they are able to truly game plan week to week it gives them an real advantage. It is here that they can make up a physical disadvantage they may have with this team.

e. Turnovers-

The Pats have had some historically bad defenses as far as yardage goes. Yet EVERY year, the team is ranked dozens of levels higher in scoring defense. In 2001 and 2003 the team ranked in the mid 20's in total yardage, yet were in the top 6 in scoring D. Even in 2011 with a D ranked in the 30's they were in the top 12 in scoring

How does that happen, you only have to look at the huge PLUS the Pats have every year in turnovers. I don't know how they do it. I don't know what they say or how they practice it. All I know is that some how, the Pats manage to get the ball from other teams while keeping it from them at a huge ratio.

It has occurred so consistently that it HAS to be something specific to this program. Like I said I haven't a clue to what they are doing, but it has to be something that other teams aren't doing otherwise the stat wouldn't be there every year staring us in the face. I'd be interested in hearing how others think they are doing it.

7. I can’t repeat this fact enough. The margin of victory in the NFL is VERY small. I doubt the talent margin is 5% from the best team to to the worst. So its not like the Pats are ever heads and shoulders better than the teams they play. They are a good team that takes some of the slight advantages that were discussed above and uses them wisely to give themselves just a slight edge on their opponent.

Don’t forget that there are a lot of tall buildings in Las Vegas that were build on the fact they have built just a 52-48% edge in their favor. In a sense that’s what the Pats have done, and in a league where the margin of victory is so incredibly small that that they have taken those tiny advantages and has translated them into a series of double digit win seasons that are hard imagine.

OK, enjoy the games, it should be fun. I'll look forward to hearing your comments and additions. Like I said, this would make a great subject for a book, but for a bye week, its an interesting subject for a discussion of what makes things great.

Well, thompkins might have fallen but Dobson is emerging into a star. Gronk finally is healthy and back to his stud status. Amendola finally had a great game.
Ken, we finally saw what happens when the offense was almost incomplete sync. Fault can be spread, but Tom has been put in tough situations until week 9. We finally saw when he has open receivers and a great offensive line. His bad decisions weren't all on him, they were the lack of trust in his receivers and consistent pressure. The defense might have taken hits, but they seem to have it together and have taken a minor step back (without talib).

I am happy with this team, because we will start seeing our best football as we near the end of the season and hopefully into the playoffs. We saw that our offense, especially with vereen, will be able to attack anywhere, anyhow and anytime coupled with a top 10 D. This team is quietly emerging into the best in the league.

The consistency is amazing. Maybe my memory is failing me but I only need one hand to count the "stinker" games during the BB/Brady era.....and that is a remarkable achievement.

The final point is well worth repeating:

7. I can’t repeat this fact enough. The margin of victory in the NFL is VERY small. I doubt the talent margin is 5% from the best team to to the worst. So its not like the Pats are ever heads and shoulders better than the teams they play. They are a good team that takes some of the slight advantages that were discussed above and uses them wisely to give themselves just a slight edge on their opponent.

Don’t forget that there are a lot of tall buildings in Las Vegas that were build on the fact they have built just a 52-48% edge in their favor. In a sense that’s what the Pats have done, and in a league where the margin of victory is so incredibly small that that they have taken those tiny advantages and has translated them into a series of double digit win seasons that are hard imagine.​

The final point is well worth repeating:

Don’t forget that there are a lot of tall buildings in Las Vegas that were build on the fact they have built just a 52-48% edge in their favor. In a sense that’s what the Pats have done, and in a league where the margin of victory is so incredibly small that that they have taken those tiny advantages and has translated them into a series of double digit win seasons that are hard imagine.​

There's a good reason why the big favorite in those monster point spreads in the NFL we've seen in recent years (like Den -28 vs Jax, Pats -25 vs Phi) almost never cover. The massive talent disparity that we see in college does not exist in professional football....

I think the QB might have something to do with the success.

The margin of victory in the NFL is very small...OK...I believe this is nearly unanimous

Goodell KNOWS this intrinsically...who would argue this?

ONE first round pick could very well determine whether this small margin swings to one side or the other...is that not a very reasonable assumption?

The Patriots have historically HIT on their first round picks...where is the Pats Gholston? he doesn't exist.

Goodell TOOK the Patriots #1 pick in a unilateral commissioner decision, even though there existed a DISTINCT AND VERIFIABLE CONFLICT OF INTEREST , seeing as how he is a FORMER NY JET EMPLOYEE.

Goodell just asked for an independent arbitrator to handle the Miami issue.

Why did he do what he did concerning the Patriots, yet do the exact opposite concerning the Dolphins? Is he tacitly admitting his Spygate decision was questionable at least, most likely WRONG. Will the independent arbitrator determine the penalty to be incurred by the Dolphins?

No matter what, I want that first round pick reinstated or else Goodell taken to court. THe Incognito case is FAR FAR FAR more "damaging to the shield" than the ridiculous camera placement squabble, and likely will cost both the GM and HC jobs with the Fins. Goodell MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE for this flip flop or the game and the league becomes nothing more than a mockery...a dictator's private little game of three card monty.

At least I got it out there. Someone will run across it in Google and perhaps someone in the DC area with connections in the justice department will run across it and have their interest piqued.

Or maybe I'll just send e-mails to the Justice department demanding an investigation....every day for the next year.

One thing is certain, THIS "commissioner" has jumped the shark, the league is out of control and the integrity of this game is suspect.

2 Other things to add to the list.

BB always evaluates the talent he has on hand. sure he'll lat his first-third round picks mature over a year or two, but he's willing to admit his mistakes and cut his losses. Look at the UDFA's that make this team. Every player earns their start. Every player has a chance to start based on their performance, not salary or draft position.

BB never asks a player to do something he can't and always maximizes what they do well. I don't think many people prepare their team X's & O's Belichick. He'll take their best attributes and put them in a position to positively affect the team.

The consistency is amazing. Maybe my memory is failing me but I only need one hand to count the "stinker" games during the BB/Brady era.....and that is a remarkable achievement.

Since 2006...I'd say Miami (06), Jets (10 div round), Ravens (08 Wildcard), Browns (10), Saints (09) stick in my head. Not many at all, but two in the playoffs.

At least I got it out there. Someone will run across it in Google and perhaps someone in the DC area with connections in the justice department will run across it and have their interest piqued.

Or maybe I'll just send e-mails to the Justice department demanding an investigation....every day for the next year.

One thing is certain, THIS "commissioner" has jumped the shark, the league is out of control and the integrity of this game is suspect.

I'm hoping that the legalization of medical Mary Jane will help here.
You have my heart.

...*puff*...*puff*....*drag*....

and another thing....*cough*...*hack*......wait...BRB...

Since 2006...I'd say Miami (06), Jets (10 div round), Ravens (08 Wildcard), Browns (10), Saints (09) stick in my head. Not many at all, but two in the playoffs.

3 clunkers in the Cassel year... home vs Miami (the wildcat game), vs Chargers, home vs Steelers although that game was in reach until the 4th quarter....

3, Well how the hell do they do it? They are good at the draft but not great. We make as many talent evaluation mistakes as the next guy, We have a bunch of good players but so does everyone else. So how is it that this organization manages to put out winning teams EVERY year, regardless of the unexpected,

Another thoughtful piece, Ken.

Two comments.

While I agree that the talent differential between teams is small, this fact does not take into account the difference between starting quarterbacks; no one would say that the spread in abilities between a Brady and, say a Sanchez, is five percent. And while football is the ultimate team game, few sports have a position so critical to winning as the QB is in football.

A puzzle to the Pats success for which I have no answer, is how Belichick and Kraft have kept the organization, even one built on solid principles as you have enumerated, from going stale. Many good coaches and some great ones outlive their success. In professional sports, particularly the salary cap NFL, golden ages do not last too long. Yet the Patriots and Belichick appear as strong and resilient as ever, when Boston contemporaries like Francona and Rivers have left the scene, ending successful tenures on a down note.

Great piece as usual...

While idly watching other NFL games yesterday was taken back by the quality of coaching, QB game management and team play... the Cincy game, they had the ball with about 1:30 left and in that time got off about 7 plays, and relied on a hail mary to tie the game. There did not seem to be any sense of organization or plan for that contingency...

Compare to the Pats, they plan for those times when it is necessary to get off a lot of plays in a short period...

As a team we have not really looked all that good, but compared to many other teams that are supposed to be good we are much better than most..

2 Other things to add to the list.

BB always evaluates the talent he has on hand. sure he'll lat his first-third round picks mature over a year or two, but he's willing to admit his mistakes and cut his losses. Look at the UDFA's that make this team. Every player earns their start. Every player has a chance to start based on their performance, not salary or draft position.

BB never asks a player to do something he can't and always maximizes what they do well. I don't think many people prepare their team X's & O's Belichick. He'll take their best attributes and put them in a position to positively affect the team.

Almost certainly the key principle in my mind. He builds offences and defences around his players, not the other way around.

He knows what they do best and he knows how to design his offence in a way that will enable them to do what they do so well. He knows how to put them in to positions where they can succeed.

No one gets mismatches better than the Patriots do. Maybe the Saints...Sean Payton does it very well too.

Hey, Joker, odds are the NSA already has your text... It's just waiting to be read after they are done sorting through the German Chancellor's phone messages...

If you are going to email-bomb the Justice Dept. make sure your taxes are all paid up:D

Another thoughtful piece, Ken.

Two comments.

While I agree that the talent differential between teams is small, this fact does not take into account the difference between starting quarterbacks; no one would say that the spread in abilities between a Brady and, say a Sanchez, is five percent. And while football is the ultimate team game, few sports have a position so critical to winning as the QB is in football.

A puzzle to the Pats success for which I have no answer, is how Belichick and Kraft have kept the organization, even one built on solid principles as you have enumerated, from going stale. Many good coaches and some great ones outlive their success. In professional sports, particularly the salary cap NFL, golden ages do not last too long. Yet the Patriots and Belichick appear as strong and resilient as ever, when Boston contemporaries like Francona and Rivers have left the scene, ending successful tenures on a down note.

Breathe in.....breathe out......chant "Ernie Adams".......

Do it 3 times slowly.........

It is what BB and Kraft do 5 times per day, kneeling and facing towards the Lighthouse at Gillette. It brings a spiritual elevation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back