PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the 4th time isn't the charm edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For the 14th week in a row, our team entertained us and kept us involved and enthralled for the full sixty minutes. Yes the outcome of the game wasn’t what we wanted. But I love this year’s team. I love the mental toughness. I love the persistence. I love courage that they play with on such a consistent basis.

Am I frustrated with all the “what ifs” and buts that we‘ll talk about all this week (and later on in this post)? Sure I am. Am I angry at the some of the play calls and execution from the offense on occasion. Why should this week be any different than the rest. ;).

So while this game is hurting right now, I want to make it clear that regardless of what happens the rest of the way, this team has EARNED our respect…or at least should have.

So now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, here are my comments on this game, in no particular order. BTW- I’m writing this late (after a poker tourney that I won this time), so I didn’t have time to read any comments Pardon in advance for any redundancies.

1. Among the “what if” plays that will keep me up tonight…. Steven Gotskowski is having an all pro year. However if he had made that 48 yarder (no gimmee btw), the Pats would have been kicking a 35 yd FG at the end of the game to win instead of having to go into the end zone

2. If he hadn’t gone and kicked his first out of bounds KO of the year, the Dolphins start on the 20 instead of the 40. Who knows if they go for it on 4th down if the ball had been at their own 25 rather than their 45

3. There were a series of 3 key defensive plays that if the Pats had done better on, the game would have turned.

a. the 3rd and 10 at the end of the half when the Fins were deep in there own territory, and Tannyhill converts with a very difficult perfect throw to a well covered WR. If he missed that throw, the Pats would have had good field position and a minute and a half to add to a 10 point lead. 13-0 is a big difference than 10-7.

b. The 4th and 5 late in the 4th was the obvious big play. I was thrilled when I first saw the quick screen. We usually do much better on those.

c. A little less obvious was the play just before it. The 3rd and 17. We gave up 12 yds on that play. I believe if we’d done even 5 yds better, the Dolphins would have punted on 4th down.

4. I think we all better get used to seeing Miami hot on our trail in the future. No only has Philbin proven to be a solid leader, stewarding his team through the Incognito/Martin disaster, Ryan Tannyhill looks like he’s developing into a very nice QB. The kind of player you can build an offense around.

He made a lot of good decisions and very tough throws into tight coverage, he also proved his toughness by getting up after some big hits and sacks, and remaining very steady in the pocket. A few years from now he might end up being the best QB in his class…..after Andrew Luck.

5. Not for nothing, but will this injury bug EVER leave us. Losing Solder was huge. I am amazed that we functioned as well as we did immediately after. With this being his 2nd dinger in 2 weeks, I doubt very much we will see him next week either.

6. Not having Dobson or Thompkins really hurts our red zone offense. I was surprised none of the mediots barely mentioned their absence or their potential effect. In our 4 trips to the redzone, we were having to make do with 4 midgets again. I hope to god we get at least one of them back next Sunday.

7. On the plus side both Edelman and Amendola had 130 yd days, and Boyce continued to show flashes, although he could have had a TD if he’d caught a ball cleanly in that first drive. In the end I think over the next few years the Pats rookie WR corps is going to work out very well.

8. All of our RB’s averaged over 4ypc. If you felt they were underutilized you would be right, but I think Solder going out was a major factor in the Pats getting way from the running game in the 2nd half
9. Ryan Allan seems to be getting better every single week. He made several good kicks. The one that stands out was his 58 yarder out of bounds from deep in his own territory, that reestablished field position. I thought it was even more impressive than the one he dropped on the Miami 6 that almost turned into a TD. Probably most surprising to me is how well he is handling the holding duties. Originally I was for keeping Zoltan mostly because Allen hadn’t been a holder in college.

10. I kept looking for the Pats to run a certain pattern in this game after I saw how strongly the Miami safeties were attacking the Pats WR’s in their crossing routes. Its one they’ve used successfully last year as well as this year. You know the one where either Edelman or Amendola run their crossing route and then breaks it up the seam when the S attacks it. The Pats ended up never doing any attacking throws deep. I know they were concerned about the Miami rush, but not even once?

11. Its clear to me that even in its decimated state, the Gronkless Pats offense can still move the ball against even good defenses. The question will be, can they score TD’s instead of FG’s. It certainly cost them this game.

12. Yes Martha, that was PI on Hooman in the 2nd to last play of the game, and Phil Sims should be ashamed of himself when he wimped out in is commentary. I can understand the official not calling it, but they should at least acknowledge the foul. Even worse was another call on Hooman. There was a reason Hooman had to make a one handed catch for his TD. It was because the Miami LB assigned to cover him, had a hold of his other arm for about 10 yds before the ball got there. :mad:

The Hooman call at the end of game is made more frustrating by the call on Fletcher that allowed the Miami go ahead TD to happen. While it looked bad on first glance, when they showed the replay, the reality is the Fletcher call was actually more marginal that the non-call at the other end.

12. ….and while that’s very frustrating to fans, the fact is there were just too many plays that the Pats screwed up themselves to blame the refs for the loss. In they end they simply didn’t make enough plays to win the game. It shouldn’t have come down to the refs. IF Boyce makes the early TD grab. IF Goskowski makes the FG. IF Amendola makes the spectacular catch in the end zone. IF they stop them on 4th and 5, IF Ryan (or was it Fletcher) makes the pick etc, etc, etc.

13. Finally, because I forgot to do it earlier, a few kudos to the run defense for hold the Dolphins to under 90 yds rushing today. Maybe they are starting to come around.

Your #1 also contributed to a few other of your post-game thoughts. I could not believe a kicker like Gost would make a bone-headed play like that at an important time.

The red zone performance killed the offense. TWO fifteen play drives ending in FGs. Convert one of those and the whole game changes.

Kudos to Phins for playing tough. Hope Pats rebound with a win next week and bury someone else's playoff hopes.

Miami said that their main gameplan was to take away the run and make the Pats one dimensional, while also focusing in on Vereen--as they viewed him as the only real threat who could beat them with speed.

Until we get back to running the ball consistently enough (which will likely take going back to Ridley in my opinion), we're going to be painted into a corner without many options. I did not see it as a coincidence that they went up 10-0 when they seemed much more dedicated to running, although maybe that is just an error in the way that I remember it.

Boyce dropped 3 more balls today unfortunately. He looks like a guy who we can use to get into space, but I'm not sure how much I'd trust him to do too much. Hopefully we can get one of Dobson/Thompkins back next week, but I still have my doubts that they'll be able to change as much as so many think they will.

The aspect that bothers me the most is the pee-wee league core practices that a Bill Belichick team usually doesn't stand for. Those include a lot of missed tackles, blown assignments, failure to control the line of scrimmage, etc. Just an observation. It's good to see the penalties staying down for the most part, but there are a lot of "givens" that seem to need polished up on. Until that happens, we will continue to be in these weekly battles into the last minute of the game.

For whatever it's worth to you---this was now our 10th game this year that went into the final minute of regulation or overtime. Of course we continued our league leading 11th game (7-4 record) decided by less than 7 pts.

Oh, and we're also 1-4 in the last 5 road games for those who still don't believe that the bye is of the utmost importance. I agree with you that this team has earned our respect, but normally those sentiments are saved for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Cleveland Browns of the world. It's a shame that is even coming up, as they have indeed earned all of our respect for fighting and battling, even though that's their job and what they're supposed to do. Unfortunately, I think this team resembles something between 2005, 2009, and 2006; competitive, just not good (particularly on the road), and just decimated by unforeseen circumstances. That doesn't mean that they won't make a run, but I think we have to start to prepare ourselves for the inevitable.

This game was about the continuing war of attrition that the NFL has morphed into... this team is decimated by injuries to quality players, and it was never more obvious yesterday.....

Two more starters on offense(#82 & 77) went down, then a reserve lineman(#72) went down, followed by a DB(#25).. not sure how many bandaids you can keep putting on this team.. they may have reached their limit against the previous 3 teams...

Everybody needs to do their "job", but not sure just putting guys who are not ready for primetime will be the answer...

I agree on the PI call on Hooman...

The bad day for Gostowski, shows how fickle the NFL is.. you can go from HOF status to goat in a very short period.

Must admit that Tannehill is the real deal, if he does not get killed, should have a very good career.. lots of nice completions in small spaces..

-Two AFC East losses so far...When was the last time that happened?
-Two Conference games left that will be dog fights. Mapping out the next two weeks, I foresee Baltimore controlling the LOS and the game. The Ravens may not be able to run that well, but because the Pats pass rush is so spotty, Flacco will take his shots deep against the hobbled secondary and win this game. Some teams just have your number.
Buffalo scares me, especially given the Pats roster woes. Seems like once a year, Buffalo ramps up its offense to score points vs NE. That didn't happen in week one with the rookie QB.....week 17....maybe. Past history has shown BB gets game two right vs Buffalo...The ultimate question will be......Will Buffalo come to play or lay down in week 17.
-Miami has two division games left....Jets and Buffalo....I like there chances of going 2-0. My crystal ball is somewhat foggy but it is telling me to investigate the tie breaker scenario if NE and Miami both end up 10-6. If memory serves correct, division record comes after head to head...NE loses out
And even more clusterfukkish would be a scenario of Miami/NE/Baltimore all 10-6. Miami would win division....see above based on Division record....that leaves NE/ Baltimore.....and if both teams wind up 10-6....Baltimore advances based on head to head.

Which brings me back to the Buffalo game........will Buffalo show up? Incentive certainly exists to knock NE out of playoffs.....eh? The fatcats in the red seats might actually have to do some cheering for that game!

For the 14th week in a row, our team entertained us and kept us involved and enthralled for the full sixty minutes. Yes the outcome of the game wasn’t what we wanted. But I love this year’s team. I love the mental toughness. I love the persistence. I love courage that they play with on such a consistent basis.

Am I frustrated with all the “what ifs” and buts that we‘ll talk about all this week (and later on in this post)? Sure I am. Am I angry at the some of the play calls and execution from the offense on occasion. Why should this week be any different than the rest. ;).
Couldn't agree more with what you said. While ist in a certain sense frustrating to watch another 2005 play itself out, and this time mostly because of injuries, the games itself have been highly entertaining.

So while this game is hurting right now, I want to make it clear that regardless of what happens the rest of the way, this team has EARNED our respect…or at least should have.

1. Among the “what if” plays that will keep me up tonight…. Steven Gotskowski is having an all pro year. However if he had made that 48 yarder (no gimmee btw), the Pats would have been kicking a 35 yd FG at the end of the game to win instead of having to go into the end zone
Well Miami would have gone for two in this scenario, and and and, but it is one of these thoughts. But its hard to find him at fault for a 48 yarder just missed.

2. If he hadn’t gone and kicked his first out of bounds KO of the year, the Dolphins start on the 20 instead of the 40. Who knows if they go for it on 4th down if the ball had been at their own 25 rather than their 45
He was surprisingly inconsistent in that area the whole game. Two Kicks out of the stadium and two complete wobblers.

3. There were a series of 3 key defensive plays that if the Pats had done better on, the game would have turned.
I find it very hard as a homer to consider these situations fairtly. After all I am sure there might be an equal number of opportunities for the other side too, which they just miffed on.

4. I think we all better get used to seeing Miami hot on our trail in the future. No only has Philbin proven to be a solid leader, stewarding his team through the Incognito/Martin disaster, Ryan Tannyhill looks like he’s developing into a very nice QB. The kind of player you can build an offense around.

He made a lot of good decisions and very tough throws into tight coverage, he also proved his toughness by getting up after some big hits and sacks, and remaining very steady in the pocket. A few years from now he might end up being the best QB in his class…..after Andrew Luck.
The only weakness I have seen is his high sack number, which is usually attributable to QB Skill quite a lot. He just seems to be missng the ability to step up in the pocket at the right moment like Brad ydoes so well.

5. Not for nothing, but will this injury bug EVER leave us. Losing Solder was huge. I am amazed that we functioned as well as we did immediately after. With this being his 2nd dinger in 2 weeks, I doubt very much we will see him next week either.

6. Not having Dobson or Thompkins really hurts our red zone offense. I was surprised none of the mediots barely mentioned their absence or their potential effect. In our 4 trips to the redzone, we were having to make do with 4 midgets again. I hope to god we get at least one of them back next Sunday.

7. On the plus side both Edelman and Amendola had 130 yd days, and Boyce continued to show flashes, although he could have had a TD if he’d caught a ball cleanly in that first drive. In the end I think over the next few years the Pats rookie WR corps is going to work out very well.
Yes I agree, looks like we have a receiving corps which should carry us nicely through Bradys last stand. Combine that with a defense which seems to work well together, even with multiple devastating injuries, I am pretty positive in my outlook. Although you never know when a team will turn into the 2013 Texans or the 2006 broncos.

8. All of our RB’s averaged over 4ypc. If you felt they were underutilized you would be right, but I think Solder going out was a major factor in the Pats getting way from the running game in the 2nd half
On the last drive you can hardly fault them for going away from the run, and the three drives before that were pretty successful in themselves too. I assume they saw an opprotunity in the passing game they wanted to exploit, especially when Miamis safeties started dropping like flies.

12. Yes Martha, that was PI on Hooman in the 2nd to last play of the game, and Phil Sims should be ashamed of himself when he wimped out in is commentary. I can understand the official not calling it, but they should at least acknowledge the foul. Even worse was another call on Hooman. There was a reason Hooman had to make a one handed catch for his TD. It was because the Miami LB assigned to cover him, had a hold of his other arm for about 10 yds before the ball got there. :mad:

The Hooman call at the end of game is made more frustrating by the call on Fletcher that allowed the Miami go ahead TD to happen. While it looked bad on first glance, when they showed the replay, the reality is the Fletcher call was actually more marginal that the non-call at the other end.
Well yes it was, and it wasn't last week. Sadly we just cant trade calls and losses like this.

12. ….and while that’s very frustrating to fans, the fact is there were just too many plays that the Pats screwed up themselves to blame the refs for the loss. In they end they simply didn’t make enough plays to win the game. It shouldn’t have come down to the refs. IF Boyce makes the early TD grab. IF Goskowski makes the FG. IF Amendola makes the spectacular catch in the end zone. IF they stop them on 4th and 5, IF Ryan (or was it Fletcher) makes the pick etc, etc, etc.
well I had that feeling going into the game, but as it played out I was left with the feeling, that one or two avoidable mistakes thats mnissing. And after Denver spotted us this free kick on thursday it hurts even more that we couldn't convert. But to be honest we have been living on borrowed luck for the last few weeks already, so dropping one was to be expected. Thankfully we are still in shape for a bye, due to Cincy dropping the ball too, but honestly I don't really believe this group has enough living bodies left to make an extended postseason run. so it doesn't really matter.

PS: Where have all the defensive turnovers gone?

A few weeks ago we were on the longest living streak of producing at least one in each game. usually coming aways with 3. and now I have got the feel we are one the longest active streak to go without one. And yes we could have had one or two, but its hard to credit these as dropped Ints, as they were all on difficult catches, which were just out of reach.

Great post as always, but I want to address this.

It is amazing how the media seem to have forgotten these two guys even exist. I just heard Boomer Esiason say on the radio that the lack of outside receivers are really going to hurt the Pats in the playoffs. He said that teams will be able to do what Miami did yesterday and force Edelman and Amendola to the middle. It was like he either forgot Thompkins and Dobson were even on the team or he expected them not to return.

Without a true X receiver, of course it is easy to force everything to the center. Both Dobson and Thompkins are outside presences. They may not be elite WRs, but they are good enough to force coverage outside.

Also, I think Dobson catches at least one of those fade passes that went to Amendola because he could have gone up over the defender.

In the other red zone stall, I think the lack of a guy who could catch balls in the back corner or the back of the end zone killed that drive. Those plays are best suited for either Thompkins or Dobson.

Yeah, McDaniels is getting killed for not running the ball more, but the o-line was held together with scotch tape in the second half. The Pats were almost forced to put Brady in the shotgun and run a lot of short passes.

12. Yes Martha, that was PI on Hooman in the 2nd to last play of the game, and Phil Sims should be ashamed of himself when he wimped out in is commentary. I can understand the official not calling it, but they should at least acknowledge the foul.

You're not being fair to Sims. Sims specifically and explicitly said "that was pass interference". And then went on to opine that refs aren't going to call it for a play like that at that stage in the game.

Our margin for error these days is very small, since we are putting on the field, because of all of the injuries, a collection of players that don't compare favorably to those put out there by a majority of today's NFL teams.

It's a tribute to toughness, preparation, and the genius of Belichick and Brady that we are 10-4. This has the look, talent-wise, of an 8-8 or 7-9 team.

1. However if he had made that 48 yarder (no gimmee btw), the Pats would have been kicking a 35 yd FG at the end of the game to win instead of having to go into the end zone

No. It would have been nice if he had made that kick of course. But the balance of the game would have unfolded differently if he had made that kick (starting with the obvious fact that the Patriots would be kicking off instead of the Dolphins taking over).

As with any game there are lots of factors that contribute to a loss. If I was to pick one for each side of the ball it would be red zone offense and defensive tackling.

On defense Cole not wrapping up they still could have held Miami to the FG and on the 4th and 5 they had the running back dead to rights and let him slip away.

Two 15 play drives died inside the 5 yard line and the game ender they were unable to push it home. You score a TD on any of these and you win the game. The red zone numbers with and without Gronk are well documented this season. Hopefully getting Dobson back helps but I feel this will ultimately be this team's undoing.

On a side not PI is ruining football. There's no consistency and the announcers try to constantly make excuses for it with "you can't call that there". Either redefine the rules to allow the defense some freedom or call it all. The ones against Carolina and Miami aren't called and yet the least aggregious against Clevelend is. McCourtey against Carolina is called after the TE grabs and holds him and yesterday Fletcher on what was actually decent coverage. They need to fix this.

Just watched the game again on NFL game rewind. It's amazing how close the Pats were to winning this game. Just a few plays….

1. On Miami's 4th and 5, Tannehill is being rushed by Ninkovich, so he drops his throwing arm slot just a bit and he slings it by Ninkovich, who misses knocking it down by, what, less than an inch? Sooooooooo close.

2. Amendola's near TD at the end. I mean, he had it. The defender didn't even see the play, he just stuck his hand out there luckily. Again, soooooo close.

3. Hoo-man's play on the next-to-last play. Definitely pass interference, as Simms himself even mentioned. No different than Fletcher's. Would have given the Pats 1st and goal from the one yard line with seven seconds left. Time for two tries (assuming Brady didn't get sacked on the first one). Second game this year where the Pats should have had a 1st and goal at the 1 with a shot to win the game, and the refs didn't make the correct call.

To piggyback on a few this post and some replies, this team is really fun to watch. As much as I want to see them win each time out and have a tough time accepting mental or physical errors, its pretty amazing that they are able to maintain a consistently above average level of play given the shortage of talent they have left.

When I see the Saints and Bengals just lay eggs when they have as much to play for as New England and with far fewer key injuries, my hat goes off to these Pats for their performances.

Every game is a dog fight and when Miami scored 17 straight points and all the momentum was on their side, I never once thought this team wasn't going to dig in and come back. It fell short but I like the fact Brady was so pissed off afterwards; he and the rest of his teammates are not going to take the easy way out and give in to their injuries.

In the end, will their season finish not being able to make enough plays? Possibly. But I know they will never give up and will be in it right to the very end which at the end of the day, is all I can expect. In some respects, I'm enjoying watching this team more than when they were winning by 21.

In the process, I'll resist looking to next year, listening or reading the pundits "expert" analysis, blaming the refs, consider the what-ifs and simply enjoy watching the fight in their next game.

On to Baltimore which should be another great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe