PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts - a very quick set of impressions

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Imagine drafting Thornton over Pickens, Moore or pierce. lol
Who does the scouting mein?
Could have gotten Kyle Philips, Decobie Durant later too...wow from best ever Pats draft 2021 to the worst 2022............
Seriously hope this is sarcasm. Because if not....

We need to consider that our starting offense, granted minus its two starting tackles, was only one for three, with two drives being three and gone, against Carolina's second string defense. Hopefully, we'll get more clarity in Las Vegas.

Are you saying he was more Cameron McGroan last night?
That was some Captain level naming right there. I’m not down on him. He’s really young and I believe has a definite future with the team. Between last week and last night, he just has a lot of plays where he just looked unsure of what to do, and I’m sure that is definitely impacting his play speed. He’ll get it figured out at some point.

We need to consider that our starting offense, granted minus its two starting tackles, was only one for three, with two drives being three and gone, against Carolina's second string defense. Hopefully, we'll get more clarity in Las Vegas.
It definitely wasn’t anything to get excited about. The big plays are nice, but the consistency to sustain drives looks a bit suspect. Let’s hope they figure it out over the next month.

Glad to see that - making a quick read, beating his blocker with speed and making a tackle. I was watching him late in the game, and he looked to be in position but not making plays. He had the green dot, so he was being trusted to know what was going on, but he was playing slow most of the time I was looking.
remember he hasn't played football for close to 2 years It would only be natural that the game has speeded up for him and it causes him to play slow. He needs hundreds more reps to get back to what he was in Michigan

It will look better once the running game is more on track. Rember that the were working with their 2 and 3rd string tackles. That said, I did see some really nice blocks from Strange and on the whole, the protection seemed better than last week.

The offense again looked bad and out of sync. Whatever QB led it, whether it was Mac, Zappe, or Hoyer, barely got the ball moving. Is anyone else worried about the OL not looking very stout in preseason?

The only bright light out there was Lil Jordan Humphrey. He makes plays and his biggest play by far was the special teams play where he laid out using his full frame to knock the ball down in play and pin the Panthers inside their own 5 yard line. If he can make this team by sticking on special teams, I'd like for this kid to stick. He makes plays happen and he would be our biggest WR at 6'4.

The defense was really the story of the game. I don't count Zappe's pick-6 against them. So they really only gave up 3 points and scored a touchdown by forcing that turnover in the endzone. Yes I know, level of competition. But if they can continue to play this well, Mac Jones won't have to score 30 points per game to win, he'll only have to score around 20. And that increases our odds of winning by quite a bit. Especially seeing how far behind the offense is at this point of the year.

remember he hasn't played football for close to 2 years It would only be natural that the game has speeded up for him and it causes him to play slow. He needs hundreds more reps to get back to what he was in Michigan
Oh boy the excuse making begins. I'm not convinced by the linebackers we have yet. Let them prove it on the field.

Sometimes it's ok to just say - he didn't play well, he looked lost, he needs to play better to earn his spot on the field.

The offense again looked bad and out of sync. Whatever QB led it, whether it was Mac, Zappe, or Hoyer, barely got the ball moving. Is anyone else worried about the OL not looking very stout in preseason?
It is difficult for an OL to look "stout" when 3 of the OT's are home. However, I am concerned. Seeing Ferentz at OG seems to signal that he is favored by Belichick as a backup in addition to being a backup OC. Ferentz will be on the roster, but this doesn't bode well for the rest of the backup OG's.

That being said, I like our starting OL even with Cajuste starting at RT (If Wynn goes). I guess Ferentz and Herron are first off the bench.

I will feel better after we add a veteran OG.

Oh boy the excuse making begins. I'm not convinced by the linebackers we have yet. Let them prove it on the field.

Sometimes it's ok to just say - he didn't play well, he looked lost, he needs to play better to earn his spot on the field.
To earn a spot on the field and in the 46, but Ken's reasoning is sound regarding whether he makes the 53. I would also like to see that new LB speed in action, but it's starting to show with some of the new corps. I think they'll be a serviceable group come opening day.

The only bright light out there was Lil Jordan Humphrey. He makes plays and his biggest play by far was the special teams play where he laid out using his full frame to knock the ball down in play and pin the Panthers inside their own 5 yard line. If he can make this team by sticking on special teams, I'd like for this kid to stick. He makes plays happen and he would be our biggest WR at 6'4.

The defense was really the story of the game. I don't count Zappe's pick-6 against them. So they really only gave up 3 points and scored a touchdown by forcing that turnover in the endzone. Yes I know, level of competition. But if they can continue to play this well, Mac Jones won't have to score 30 points per game to win, he'll only have to score around 20. And that increases our odds of winning by quite a bit. Especially seeing how far behind the offense is at this point of the year.
What I like most about LJH is his size, and ability to hold onto the ball through that initial contact. It may not be sexy, but having that safety valve to dump the ball off to and just take what you can get is awesome.

I don't disagree, but I understand the issue. I played DE and NT in college before I was moved to LB. I spent half a season creeping up to the LOS every play, because that was where I was more comfortable. It took a lot of reps to get comfortable seeing the game from 4-5 yds behind the LOS. It was ironically the same when I was moved from OLB to SS I really liked when I was able to play in the box, but I was pretty much lost at first when I had to play deep 8-10 yds off the ball. It wasn't until late in camp that I was FINALLY getting the hang of it, when my NFL dreams came to an end.

The point I'm trying to make is that even guys who played at the second level in college have some learning timeline in a new system, especially one like the Pats have that have you playing all over the field almost every play. This isn't an excuse, its a simple fact.

That being said, as it stands right now McGrone isn't ready to be an impact player on the 2nd level, but it is WAY too early to make blanket judgements on the kid. For example AJennings Josh Uche were both 2020 draft picks who gave us pretty much nothing their first 2 years and were both constantly bashed by the I want immediate results crowd. I'd like all our rookies to be all pros their first year too, but it often takes time AND a lot of reps before it happens for some guys.

This season we have 4 draft picks that look like they will be in the regular rotation as quality depth. Guy sho will likely see action every game. Strange, Thornton, JJones and MJones. Not to mention SRoberts and Ray end of the draft and UDFA's who are making the DL roster decisions very hard. This draft got a lot of flack back in April, but so far getting 4-5 guys who will likely get snaps every game in their first year is a great result for any draft

What I like most about LJH is his size, and ability to hold onto the ball through that initial contact. It may not be sexy, but having that safety valve to dump the ball off to and just take what you can get is awesome.

LJH is as slow as molasses. Carolina was playing almost all zone. If there is man coverage, LJH is easily shut down - that is why he was sitting at home on a couch when we signed him. I agree, playing against backups in zone coverage, LJH looked good. Let's not forget the circumstances.

He played like a guy who's never played in the NFL, and who hasn't played at any level in almost 2 years. Saying it like this is not making excuses, it's providing context. Saying only that he looked lost and needs to step up doesn't bring any perspective, context, clarity, nor does it help anyone improve their understanding of the player's situation.

Preseason Week 2 vs. Panthers general thoughts:

1.) 2022 Patriots by tenure:

Matthew Slater, drafted in 2008, 15th season.
Devin McCourty, drafted in 2010, 13th season.
Joe Cardona, drafted in 2015, 8th season.
David Andrews, UDFA in 2015, 8th season.
Jonathan Jones, UDFA in 2016, 7th season.
Lawrence Guy, FA in 2017, 6th season.
Deatrich Wise Jr., drafted in 2017, 6th season.
James Ferentz, FA in 2018, 5th season.
Jakobi Meyers, UDFA 2019,4th season.
Jake Bailey, drafted in 2019, 4th season.

Dont'A Hightower, drafted in 2012, 9 seasons in total broken up into 2 tours of duty (not on the team currently).
Brian Hoyer, UDFA in 2009, 7.5th season (broken into 3 tours of duty)
Malcolm Butler, UDFA in 2014, 4 seasons (would have been 5th with two tours of duty)

2.) Patriots with rings:

McCourty - 3 (5 Superbowls)
Slater - 3 (5 Superbowls)
Andrews - 2 (3 Superbowls)
Cardona - 2 (3 Superbowls)
Jon Jones - 2 (3 Superbowls)
Hoyer - 1 (1 Superbowl)
Guy - 1 (2 Superbowls)
Wise - 1 (2 Superbowls)
Ferentz - 1 (1 Superbowl)

Hightower -3 (4 Superbowls, FA currently, but locker is intact)
Butler - 2 (on I/R, 3 Superbowls)

16 rings total, not counting the coaching staff...(21 with HT/Butler)

3.) Remaining members of past Superbowl teams:

1985: None.
1996: None.
2001: None.
2003: None.
2004: None.
2007: None.
2011: Slater & McCourty.
2014: Slater & McCourty (not counting Hightower/Butler).
2016: Slater, McCourty, Andrews, Cardona, and Jon Jones (no HT/Butler).
2017: Slater, McCourty, Andrews, Cardona, and Jon Jones (no HT/Butler).
2018: Slater, McCourty, Andrews, Cardona, Jon Jones, Guy, Wise, Ferentz, and Hoyer (no HT).

4.) These aren't your Daddy's Patriots....

5.) I hate that we have to cut down from 85 to 53...I really like all of our players. NFL rosters should be like FBS rosters of 100 players each team....

6.) OL: I am comfortable with Trent Brown, Cole Strange, and David Andrews on the left side. I am not liking what I am seeing on the right side. It is as if the Coaching staff is undecided on Onwenu's role in our zone blocking scheme. Then there's Wynn who is missing time as usual. I like what I am seeing from Cajuste.Herron is servicable from what I have seen and Frentez didn't look so great out there last night, but he should be servicable as a back up center. Anyone know how the CFL dude, Desjarlais is doing? Hambright was getting some good press in camp, but didn't see much of him last night? What about Durant? Are we gonna get anything from Russey, Hines, or Stuber this year? They all look like PS material...along with Will Sherman. How about Bill Murray? I am guessing he'll be signed to the PS in hopes that he's our next Stephen Neal? Hard to evaluate the OL unless you watch film over and over again...

7.) QB: No problems with our QB's whatsoever. I like what I see from Zappe while under pressure. Hoyster is Hoyster. And that was a nice throw by Mac.

8.) WR: It is obvious that our depth chart is now as follows:

Algholor, Parker, Meyers, Bourne (what's up with him anyway?), & Thorton.

Then beyond that...I am not sure if we will keep a 6th WR this year given our RB and TE rooms. I have liked what Wilkerson has shown all camp, I still have hope for Tre Nixon too, Humphrey has been making plays when called upon, Hammond not too bad...but not making it, and then there's Slater.

9.) TE: Was happy to see Asiasi make some plays yesterday. I think he makes the team..we need back ups for Henry/Smith. As for Smith, I think he's simply a victim of play calling. I am not sure Patricia will call his number any more than McD did last year. Hope Henry isn't gonna be out for too long. I have given up on hope for Keene...saw him on the sidelines yesterday...jersey had some grass smears on it...but otherwise he looked clean.

10.) RB: Clearly the strength of our offense, IMO. Harris showed good vision last night on one run...used his blockers well. Stevenson has been solid in camp..not so much last night, but sometimes RB's need reps to get going, IMO. Then there's Kevin Harris who actually looks like a monster....I like the kid. Pierre Strong...haven't seen enough, but he should stick. Then there's Ty Montgomery...I think he's our hybrid 3rd Down RB/FB/TE/WR jack-of-all-trades tool. Which makes me wonder about Jonnu's role on reps where we want to run a TE sweep. Then there's JJ Taylor who I am afraid will be a numbers game cut....he looked great last night.

11.) DL: I feel a lot better about our DL than I did weeks ago. Godchaux, Barmore, Wise, and Guy..that's a solid line right there. I like what I have seen from Anderson, Carl Davis, Ekuale, Roberts, and LaBryan Ray. Gonna be some tough cuts here....

12.) LB: I love Mack Wilson...such speed that we didn't have last year. McMillian seems to be slotted in as a starter...maybe. Bentley looks better too. Jennings will stick, IMO. Then there's always Judon..love that guy. Uche made a play last night...but I'd like to see more before I get too excited. Perkins made some plays, but I am not sure he sees a lot of snaps this year unless there are injuries. McGrone? Didn't see him last night...not looking goood.

13.) CB: With losing Butler and JoeJuan Williams, I was interested in watching our depth last night. OK, Mills is our #1...Jon Jones is our #2...then in the slot I think it will be a mix of Marcus Jones/Jon Jones/Miles Bryant...with Mitchell going outside. I like what I have seen of Wade thus far...but Miles Bryant is out playing him...and Jack Jones is a rookie. We then have Cody Davis and Justin Bethel who are ST aces...not sure if we keep all of these guys.

14.) S: DMac and Dugger are the mainstays out there for sure. Phillips will get a lot of reps. I haven't seen much of Jabril Peppers yet... I hope Joshuah Bledsoe makes the team..I like what I am seeing. I even like Schooler, but don't think he makes it.

15.) ST's: We know Folk is our kicker, Bailey is our punter, and Cardona is our LS'er. But who are our core ST guys? I have Slater, Cody Davis, Justin Bethel, Schooler (?), and a bunch of guys competing to be our PR/KRs. If we knew our core ST'ers...we would be able to predict the initial 53 man roster easier. We no longer have guys like Brandon Bolden, Brandon King, etc... I like Miles Bryant's returns from the first pre-season game...but I'd like to see more from others....

I don't disagree, but I understand the issue. I played DE and NT in college before I was moved to LB. I spent half a season creeping up to the LOS every play, because that was where I was more comfortable. It took a lot of reps to get comfortable seeing the game from 4-5 yds behind the LOS. It was ironically the same when I was moved from OLB to SS I really liked when I was able to play in the box, but I was pretty much lost at first when I had to play deep 8-10 yds off the ball. It wasn't until late in camp that I was FINALLY getting the hang of it, when my NFL dreams came to an end.

The point I'm trying to make is that even guys who played at the second level in college have some learning timeline in a new system, especially one like the Pats have that have you playing all over the field almost every play. This isn't an excuse, its a simple fact.

That being said, as it stands right now McGrone isn't ready to be an impact player on the 2nd level, but it is WAY too early to make blanket judgements on the kid. For example AJennings Josh Uche were both 2020 draft picks who gave us pretty much nothing their first 2 years and were both constantly bashed by the I want immediate results crowd. I'd like all our rookies to be all pros their first year too, but it often takes time AND a lot of reps before it happens for some guys.

This season we have 4 draft picks that look like they will be in the regular rotation as quality depth. Guy sho will likely see action every game. Strange, Thornton, JJones and MJones. Not to mention SRoberts and Ray end of the draft and UDFA's who are making the DL roster decisions very hard. This draft got a lot of flack back in April, but so far getting 4-5 guys who will likely get snaps every game in their first year is a great result for any draft
Good lord. You went from NT to DE to LB to SS... At that rate if you'd played a little longer you'd have ended up as CB or maybe even switched to offense as the speedster WR.

LJH is as slow as molasses.

Yes, the first time I've ever seen a zero (40 yd time) on one of those athletic comparison diagrams for a player that made the roster. But then did you watch that special teams play where he was the gunner? Double teamed (twice) and still broke through and made a super-athletic play.
"Slow as molasses" is not the epithet you'd chose for that play.

One question is he better than Asiasi or Keene? Because he provides TE depth of a sort - can block and run the seam route and withstand the resulting pounding.

Yes, the first time I've ever seen a zero (40 yd time) on one of those athletic comparison diagrams for a player that made the roster. But then did you watch that special teams play where he was the gunner? Double teamed (twice) and still broke through and made a super-athletic play.
"Slow as molasses" is not the epithet you'd chose for that play.

One question is he better than Asiasi or Keene? Because he provides TE depth of a sort.

LJH provides in-line blocking as a TE?

LJH provides in-line blocking as a TE?

Obviously he is 25lb lighter than the other TEs, so no, he's not going to be as good a blocker. But as a move TE he's at least plausible. If we are running a bunch of 2 TE sets, having a WR that can substitute in a pinch is valuable.

Obviously he is 25lb lighter than the other TEs, so no, he's not going to be as good a blocker. But as a move TE he's at least plausible. If we are running a bunch of 2 TE sets, having a WR that can substitute in a pinch is valuable.

40 lbs lighter, he is 210 and our TEs are 250+. A move TE with that Combine 40 time? Never seen it. Any other ideas?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back