PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IAN: any way to add writer to news links

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ian,

I am thoroughly disgusted with myself and despite having washed my fingers 3 times I can't wipe away the SLIME of having unintentionally clicking a linked BORGES-article by accident in the "Up-to-the Minute Local Media Headlines" of the HOMEPAGE.

I know I should have known better by the TITLE ("Face it: Bill Belichick can't ignore Aaron Hernandez any longer") and the SOURCE (Herald); but for some reason I just clicked.

I know you cant take away the awful leprosy-like feeling of having touched his disgusting self-centered venomous spewing at BB; but if possible maybe you could fix it for the future.......... get the links to show the writer's name in addition to the title, source and dateline.

Then I could consciously avoid giving any kind of postive hit count to his boorish behaviour.

Thanks for the consideration (that I know you will give this) even if it isnt technically feasible for some reason.

TO MY FELLOW POSTERS:
1. Please forgive me.
2. And Dont bother clicking yourself - you can valuably use the 30secs of time otherwise spent reading his article by doing something else much more worthwhile- like blowing your nose with or wiping your arse with a hard copy of his article (as long as you didnt pay for it).

A good sticky would be a list reputable/respected reporters for the Patriots and if possible, other teams and who they work for and the reporters Twitter. That would be a useful resource for many people and not just Patriots fans.

A good sticky would be a list reputable/respected reporters for the Patriots and if possible, other teams and who they work for and the reporters Twitter. That would be a useful resource for many people and not just Patriots fans.

What is this ...North Korea? Only approved content shall be fed to the masses? Is it Ian's job to filter Patriots news because you can't handle it?

What is this ...North Korea? Only approved content shall be fed to the masses? Is it Ian's job to filter Patriots news because you can't handle it?

No, more for people who want to come and want to read reputable reports for, say, training camp and are new to it all or are a fan of another team - who does the best stuff? Who's opinion is most trusted by fans? Who puts out sensationalist rubbish?

Most people on here already tend to avoid stuff by certain reporters for various reasons as it is though.

Like for example a good person to follow on Twitter is Ravensinsider he seems to be a good reporter for not only the Ravens, but league wide news.

No, more for people who want to come and want to read reputable reports for, say, training camp and are new to it all or are a fan of another team - who does the best stuff? Who's opinion is most trusted by fans? Who puts out sensationalist rubbish?

Most people on here already tend to avoid stuff by certain reporters for various reasons as it is though.

Like for example a good person to follow on Twitter is Ravensinsider he seems to be a good reporter for not only the Ravens, but league wide news.

"Trusted" means team friendly....right?

I can't believe I'm about to agree with borg, but the guy has a point. It's not the admin's job to remove news links because you really, really don't like it. If you don't want to read sensationalist crap, then don't click on it when you clearly see it.

In Soviet Russia, links click you!

yakov3.jpg

I can't believe I'm about to agree with borg, but the guy has a point. It's not the admin's job to remove news links because you really, really don't like it. If you don't want to read sensationalist crap, then don't click on it when you clearly see it.

Never said anything about removing any links :confused: Neither has Gumby from what I can see, just telling people to not bother clicking the link.

As for camp reports, over time who do most people tend to gravitate towards in regards to reading what went on (apart from the posters on here who go to camp and report back)? Reiss, Curran & SMY all seem to be good when it comes to camp reports.

"Trusted" means team friendly....right?

No, trusted means trusted. Mike Reiss for example will tell you the good and bad of what has happened, he is probably the most trusted reporter you can get for the Patriots and certainly one of the more balanced.

It also shouldn't be admins job, right, but more of a collective list, if anything, as a guide to who people enjoy reading and again, trust the opinions of.

Never said anything about removing any links :confused: Neither has Gumby from what I can see, just telling people to not bother clicking the link.

As for camp reports, over time who do most people tend to gravitate towards in regards to reading what went on (apart from the posters on here who go to camp and report back)? Reiss, Curran & SMY all seem to be good when it comes to camp reports.

Telling people not to click a link is essentially the same as removing it. In that event, there's no point for the link to even be there. New posters should have the freedom to click whatever link they want and read whatever they want without forum regulars telling them not to, then subsequently blasting them when they do and make a new post about it.

Telling people not to click a link is essentially the same as removing it. In that event, there's no point for the link to even be there. New posters should have the freedom to click whatever link they want and read whatever they want without forum regulars telling them not to, then subsequently blasting them when they do and make a new post about it.
I agree that people should be free to read who they want to do, I just thought it'd be a good idea if there was a list somewhere (on here or elsewhere) of reporters around the league who's views tend to be held in high regard.

Some people will enjoy reading Borges stuff and nobody should take issue with that.

at least now we know where "borg" gets his material...hey...wait a doggone minute...

borg.....Borg(es)....hmmmmm...something smells like cod around here...

I don't think there should be any issue with adding a marker to a link that says who the writer is. I know there are writers I prefer not to support with my clicks in general cases. That said, it is the responsibility of the link provider to do so, not Ian or a Mod.

That said, part deux, did it really ruin your day that much to read a Borges article by accident?

As a moderator I do not have anything to do with the functionality of the website (e.g., in this case changing those news feeds that you see), but from my IT experience I do not believe there is a way of adding who the specific writer is in those links; the headline is generated by the original site, and passed through to this site by an RSS feed. Unfortunately the only way to eliminate Borges' articles would be to eliminate all Pats-related articles from the original source, which would mean you are also eliminating all content from Jeff Howe, Karen Guregian and every other writer at the Herald.

That's my understanding of how those links appear, but if there's somebody more tech savvy than me that has a work-around solution then I am sure Ian would be open to considering it. Personally I have found that in most cases I have a pretty good idea of the author and/or where the article is going by the headline, so I know which ones I want to read and which ones I want to avoid.

Last edited:
Re: Re: IAN: any way to add writer to news links

That said, part deux, did it really ruin your day that much to read a Borges article by accident?

Yes. ;)

Oh wait, was this rhetorical?

.... but from my IT experience I do not believe there is a way of adding who the specific writer is in those links; the headline is generated by the original site, and passed through to this site by an RSS feed. Unfortunately the only way to eliminate Borges' articles would be to eliminate all Pats-related articles from the original source, which would mean you are also eliminating all content from Jeff Howe, Karen Guregian and every other writer at the Herald.

That's my understanding of how those links appear, but if there's somebody more tech savvy than me that has a work-around solution then I am sure Ian would be open to considering it. Personally I have found that in most cases I have a pretty good idea of the author and/or where the article is going by the headline, so I know which ones I want to read and which ones I want to avoid.

We as posters could add the writers name to the end of linked article title.

Example:
A great article by Ian

Another Patriot hatchetjob by View-Seeking Hack

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to check the feeds but one of the issues I ran into was the fact that the Author isn't necessarily included, so that makes it tough. However what I might be able to do is to add a ratings system to them where people can rate them and that might help a little. I'll see what I can do :)

We as posters could add the writers name to the end of linked article title.

Example:
A great article by Ian

Another Patriot hatchetjob by View-Seeking Hack

If it is a link posted in a thread, then yes - you can give the link any title you wish. In fact, editing the title away from the default title in your example should be encouraged in order to clarify who wrote it.

I was referring to what shows up above the forum where it says "Newsfeed", just above the toolbar ('News', 'Forum', 'Photos', 'Videos', 'Full Stats Database') as well as the links in the "Up To The Minute Local Media Headlines" box that is just below that toolbar - which is what the OP, Gumby was referring to.

I'd have to check the feeds but one of the issues I ran into was the fact that the Author isn't necessarily included, so that makes it tough. However what I might be able to do is to add a ratings system to them where people can rate them and that might help a little. I'll see what I can do :)

Thanks Ian, I knew you would respond-take seriously.

(Even though I did attempt to frame the "suggestion" humorously.)

Sicilian said:

Actually, it did. I have acid-reflux anyway and reading just the first paragraph got the bilge rising in my gut. :bricks:

As to the censorship issue someone raised:

I think I was CLEARLY asking for the opportunity to be an INFORMED CONSUMER just by adding writer name. And NOT asking for the opportunity to impose a LEFTIST-Stalinist-NAZI-BigBrother filter on what is available to either myself or ANY OTHER PatsFans user.

REMEMBER: As NEWS CONSUMERS - we are feeding these guys families and keeping them working by clicking their links. Personally I dont want to donate my $0.00001 per click to Borgazz. I would rather see him find another line of work (like the Society page). But that is just me.

RATINGS:
That said - I like the ideas Ian and others had about rating either writers or articles. I think a Sticky with a WEIGHTED POLL of writers would be pretty cool. Vote for each writer on a scale of 1-10. Each Patsfans member can only vote once for each writer and could maybe adjust their vote later if they change their minds over time. That would be a very postive way to try and influence the media to be more responsible.

SOME CLOSING THOUGHTS TO BORGAZZ / Herald Editorial Staff:

How anyone can go through life with so much SPITE, RESENTMENT and HATE is just beyond me. BorgAzz, if you don't like BB that much; just STOP REPORTING ON THE Patriots. You won't get any complaints from me.
Or at least your editors ought to go back to the (illusionary - never actually existed) Journalists Credo .............and RECUSE YOU (Yourself) from ANY PATRIOTS STORY involving BB solely. Give it to someone who can be OBJECTIVE.

Your self-centered hatred is just simply EMBARRASSING.

Thanks Ian, I knew you would respond-take seriously.

(Even though I did attempt to frame the "suggestion" humorously.)

Actually, it did. I have acid-reflux anyway and reading just the first paragraph got the bilge rising in my gut. :bricks:

As to the censorship issue someone raised:

I think I was CLEARLY asking for the opportunity to be an INFORMED CONSUMER just by adding writer name. And NOT asking for the opportunity to impose a LEFTIST-Stalinist-NAZI-BigBrother filter on what is available to either myself or ANY OTHER PatsFans user.

REMEMBER: As NEWS CONSUMERS - we are feeding these guys families and keeping them working by clicking their links. Personally I dont want to donate my $0.00001 per click to Borgazz. I would rather see him find another line of work (like the Society page). But that is just me.

RATINGS:
That said - I like the ideas Ian and others had about rating either writers or articles. I think a Sticky with a WEIGHTED POLL of writers would be pretty cool. Vote for each writer on a scale of 1-10. Each Patsfans member can only vote once for each writer and could maybe adjust their vote later if they change their minds over time. That would be a very postive way to try and influence the media to be more responsible.

SOME CLOSING THOUGHTS TO BORGAZZ / Herald Editorial Staff:

How anyone can go through life with so much SPITE, RESENTMENT and HATE is just beyond me. BorgAzz, if you don't like BB that much; just STOP REPORTING ON THE Patriots. You won't get any complaints from me.
Or at least your editors ought to go back to the (illusionary - never actually existed) Journalists Credo .............and RECUSE YOU (Yourself) from ANY PATRIOTS STORY involving BB solely. Give it to someone who can be OBJECTIVE.

Your self-centered hatred is just simply EMBARRASSING.

It wouldn't be a writer rating, but maybe a link rating for the article. As I said I'll see what I can do ;)

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back