PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I’ve seen patriot teams with worst talent have better results on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think Mac is the issue either. Granted he is a rookie but hes playing better than most rookies out there. Mac cant block and catch the ball. Defenses know we have a rookie so theyre blitzing on every other play and as we saw in the super bowl, it doesnt matter if you have Mahomes out there, poor O line play always equals a loss.

He is not the issue at all. For the most part he’s done what’s asked of him and currently not getting the support needed

It isn't moving the goalposts. It is a simple question.

Probably the leanest team in the Brady era but I would still take that one over this one.

yest it is..........the op/title says nothing about 'since 2001'

the 1995 Pats were a much better team that did worse

I would hope Mac improves with more experience as the year goes on but the schedule gets much tougher from here on out so I don't know how much the team as a whole will improve. Tampa, Dallas, a west coast trip to LAC, away against Carolina, Nick Chubb and a solid Browns team, short week on the road for TNF against Atlanta, Derrick Henry and the Titans, then still two games against the Bills. Unless Mac makes significant strides I can't see this team winning more than 6-7 games.

Yeah the schedule looks a lot tougher than it did before the season. This will definitely make it harder to string together wins. That said if the team gets on a roll who knows. It doesn’t look good right now, there’s no doubt about it, but there’s a long way to go.

yest it is..........the op/title says nothing about 'since 2001'

the 1995 Pats were a much better team that did worse
I was simply asking a question but since you took offense, yes, there were plenty of teams worse than this one.
Yeah the schedule looks a lot tougher than it did before the season. This will definitely make it harder to string together wins. That said if the team gets on a roll who knows. It doesn’t look good right now, there’s no doubt about it, but there’s a long way to go.
I will never count out a BB coached team but even so far what we have seen this year looks sloppy and undisciplined outside of any issues involving a rookie QB. Hopefully that is just a byproduct of the team still gelling but there do seem to be some lingering issues from last year.

I was simply asking a question but since you took offense, yes, there were plenty of teams worse than this one.

I will never count out a BB coached team but even so far what we have seen this year looks sloppy and undisciplined outside of any issues involving a rookie QB. Hopefully that is just a byproduct of the team still gelling but there do seem to be some lingering issues from last year.

we've been 1-2 before and succeeded.......stop knee-jerking every damned week and you'll be fine......maybe dump the pink hat

we've been 1-2 before and succeeded.......stop knee-jerking every damned week and you'll be fine......maybe dump the pink hat
randy quaid salute GIF

I have seen Patriots teams with more talent start the season about as bad as this team has and ended up winning the Super Bowl. Remember in 2014 when Trent Dilfer said in week four that the Pats "are just not good anymore"?

I don't think this team will go the Super Bowl. Hell, I am not even confident that they will make the playoffs or even be in the mix in December. But I am 100% confident that this team will get significantly better as the season goes along.
What are you basing that on? I ask because last year's team finished the season 1-3 in December with the only wins being the Jetes and two blowouts to the Bills and Rams.

What are you basing that on? I ask because last year's team finished the season 1-3 in December with the only wins being the Jetes and two blowouts to the Bills and Rams.
He's basing that on the teams with Brady as opposed to the ones without. Like you know, this team.

Last year was one year. We COVID issues. We far more talent issues. More often than not including 2008 without Brady, the Pats got better as year went along.

And also basing it on the fact the Pats have 11 new starters from last year including a rookie QB. Forget the Patriots. Most teams in this situation would get significantly better as the year goes on especially if they have systems as complicated as the Patriots.

Would agree this team is underperforming right now, and I think it has plenty of room to improve throughout the year. It starts with the OL and TEs. If they can start to gel and play to their potential the offense might start to look very different. Clean up the penalties in addition to that and we can be very competitive later in the season. One of my bigger concerns going forward is actually Hightower and the LB corps. Need an infusion of youth and athleticism there.

Outside of 2020 has there been a worse Patriot team since 2001?
Had they not won in 2001, they would definitely contend as one of the worst rosters in the Brady era. They were old and slow on D and the skill players on Offense were offensive. With that being said, contenders for being worse than 2001 are 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2013.

It isn't moving the goalposts. It is a simple question.

Probably the leanest team in the Brady era but I would still take that one over this one.
You can pull up any stats you want. No team in recent memory from that 2010 to 2013 gave me any confidence whatsoever on 3rd down. Every single third down for 3 years i felt like the other team would 100% make it. Even if it was 3rd and 29 I felt this defense would blow it.

Last year was one year. We COVID issues. We far more talent issues. More often than not including 2008 without Brady, the Pats got better as year went along.

And also basing it on the fact the Pats have 11 new starters from last year including a rookie QB. Forget the Patriots. Most teams in this situation would get significantly better as the year goes on especially if they have systems as complicated as the Patriots.
But why continue having a complicated system when it prevents players from coming in and picking it up quickly?

Those bad 90s teams would roll this current roster. Stephens would have a field day. They need to play up to their potential. Better effort this Sunday night would be a great start.

But why continue having a complicated system when it prevents players from coming in and picking it up quickly?

That is the other thing. They aren't probably using the full playbook and are using more basic schemes until players get used to the playbook. That is a large reason why the Pats started out to slow starts in 2014 and 2018 and ended up winning the Super Bowl.

2008 they lost 5 more games than the year before. It was an undefeated super team that didnt make the playoffs. 2016. Won on a missed arizona FG, Jimmy could not stay healthy through the second game. Brissett won against texans when the texans fumbled 3 times inside their own 25, also was shut out by the Bills at him in that same year.
Sorry you might be right on the rest of your post but this **** drives me crazy. They lost 5 more games than the year before! OK but they won 1 more game than the year after what's the point every season's different

The OL has sucked. Mac isn't seasoned yet enough to immediately recognize where the blitz is coming from to exploit coverage holes, shift protection prior to snap to counter a blitz or change to a better play when he recognizes a blitz coming. Nor is he experienced enough on how to slide in the pocket to avoid rushers in the NFL level.

If you looked at Lazar's breakdown, he showed that receivers are open but Mac just doesn't have time to throw, doesn't quickly recognize where to throw when there's a breakdown in protection, or doesn't step up in the pocket fast enough.

He's a rookie so I didn't expect him to be able to do all the above right from the get go. I did expected our OL to be a lot better than what they are.

Preseason games where Mac had time to throw resulted in expectations to be higher because of how good he looked when he had a clean pocket. I think that's his potential once our OL is fixed.

IMO, this team looks like it needs about 8-10 more weeks of practice to gel at all. They are like a bunch of strangers just starting to play together.

8-10 weeks to get it together is probably too long to salvage the season. And even if this team 'gels' it still may be middle of the pack.

Even when Brady had a weaker looking roster, he would still have a mind-meld continuity with key players over multiple years (JE11, Gronk, Dola, Welker, etc.,) and knew the system better than anyone. Brady's team had a multi-decade rolling continuity. This team had basically a summer with a rookie QB.

The OL has sucked. Mac isn't seasoned yet enough to immediately recognize where the blitz is coming from to exploit coverage holes, shift protection prior to snap to counter a blitz or change to a better play when he recognizes a blitz coming. Nor is he experienced enough on how to slide in the pocket to avoid rushers in the NFL level.

If you looked at Lazar's breakdown, he showed that receivers are open but Mac just doesn't have time to throw, doesn't quickly recognize where to throw when there's a breakdown in protection, or doesn't step up in the pocket fast enough.

He's a rookie so I didn't expect him to be able to do all the above right from the get go. I did expected our OL to be a lot better than what they are.
They've been underwhelming for sure. I thought we would have a running attack as potent as Cleveland and Ravens maybe a tad below them since they're more dynamic, but a B+, A- type of running game would do wonders for.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back