PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I’ve seen patriot teams with worst talent have better results on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
On paper this isn’t a super talent deficient team. Aghlor, Bourne, meyers are solid not elite but solid receivers. David Andrews is a pro bowl center, Isaiah Wynn was a first round draft pick 3 years ago. Hunter Henry and Jonu smith are a huge upgrade from Matt lacosse and Ryan Izzo. Yet so far we haven’t seen that translate to wins yet.

Nobody is giving us a chance in hell against the bucs, I just think the ceiling for this team is higher than most people think. The play calling has been atrocious, it’s all vanilla plays, no motion or anything like that. Teams know we have a rookie qb so they’re blitzing him on every other play. The coaching staff needs to keep this in mind.

Starting 1-2 is no cause for panic, as previous patriot teams have gotten it together in October. I think nothing would hurt Bill’s ego more than to lose to Brady at home and fall to 0-3 in home games and 1-3 on the year. I think it’s going to be closer than everyone thinks it’ll be.

Outside of 2020 has there been a worse Patriot team since 2001?
2013 was pretty bad from recent memory, but we had TB

I have seen Patriots teams with more talent start the season about as bad as this team has and ended up winning the Super Bowl. Remember in 2014 when Trent Dilfer said in week four that the Pats "are just not good anymore"?

I don't think this team will go the Super Bowl. Hell, I am not even confident that they will make the playoffs or even be in the mix in December. But I am 100% confident that this team will get significantly better as the season goes along.

On paper this isn’t a super talent deficient team. Aghlor, Bourne, meyers are solid not elite but solid receivers. David Andrews is a pro bowl center, Isaiah Wynn was a first round draft pick 3 years ago. Hunter Henry and Jonu smith are a huge upgrade from Matt lacosse and Ryan Izzo. Yet so far we haven’t seen that translate to wins yet.
A few good pieces doesn't make a good team. The lack of talent on this team is going to take a lot of work to overcome, at least a few years. I believe that the cornerstone is in place. Nowhere to go but up, imho. For those expecting more than that, my condolences.

This seems to be neglected in every one of these "We started 1-2 and won the super bowl before!"

To be fair, Brady also was the qb when those teams were 1-2 or 2-2 looking like crap and he usually was not part of the issue. The teams around him improved over time. Not saying this team is super bowl bound but expecting improvement especially on a team with so many new pieces isn’t unreasonable with or without Brady.

In 2008 bill went 11-5 with Matt cassel at qb. In 2016 more recently he went 3-1 with Jimmy g and jacoby brissett at qb.
2008 they lost 5 more games than the year before. It was an undefeated super team that didnt make the playoffs. 2016. Won on a missed arizona FG, Jimmy could not stay healthy through the second game. Brissett won against texans when the texans fumbled 3 times inside their own 25, also was shut out by the Bills at him in that same year.

To be fair, Brady also was the qb when those teams were 1-2 or 2-2 and he usually was not part of the issue. The teams around him improved over time. Not saying this team is super bowl bound but expecting improvement especially on a team with so many new pieces isn’t unreasonable with or without Brady.
I dont think Mac is the issue either. Granted he is a rookie but hes playing better than most rookies out there. Mac cant block and catch the ball. Defenses know we have a rookie so theyre blitzing on every other play and as we saw in the super bowl, it doesnt matter if you have Mahomes out there, poor O line play always equals a loss.

I dont think Mac is the issue either. Granted he is a rookie but hes playing better than most rookies out there. Mac cant block and catch the ball. Defenses know we have a rookie so theyre blitzing on every other play and as we saw in the super bowl, it doesnt matter if you have Mahomes out there, poor O line play always equals a loss.
Mac is not the issue, he is just not doing anything to improve the issue.

To be fair, Brady also was the qb when those teams were 1-2 or 2-2 looking like crap and he usually was not part of the issue. The teams around him improved over time. Not saying this team is super bowl bound but expecting improvement especially on a team with so many new pieces isn’t unreasonable with or without Brady.
I would hope Mac improves with more experience as the year goes on but the schedule gets much tougher from here on out so I don't know how much the team as a whole will improve. Tampa, Dallas, a west coast trip to LAC, away against Carolina, Nick Chubb and a solid Browns team, short week on the road for TNF against Atlanta, Derrick Henry and the Titans, then still two games against the Bills. Unless Mac makes significant strides I can't see this team winning more than 6-7 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes