PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I’m going to miss Brady but I have become really excited about Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes his soph year. He had like 2 good games his soph year. I've seen all the videos. What happened his college 3rd year ? Also preseason game4 just 9 months ago, super shaky under any pass pressure.
1 pre season game does not a career make. Hes entitled to learn from that game and grow from the experience

When Brady started over Bledsoe, he went several games without throwing a pick. If Stidham can do the same then half of the battle will be won. I think he'll be ok.

I mean, i'm hopeful for sure. Easier to set expectations really low, 6 or 7 wins. If i can see some encouraging signs from him this year, i'll take it.

When it moves ... I will know.

Brady wasn't one of the best quarterbacks in the league last year but people assume that Stidham won't be worse than Brady was. The reality is that Stidham is a huge question mark we know nothing about and the balance of probability for a 4th round draft pick is that he's more likely to be one of the worst starting QBs in the league than one of the best.

The Patriots don't really have the skill players to make up for that; I think Brady is fading but I also think the bleak skill around him didn't help. It's unlikely because they still have Edelman and White and McDaniels is a good coach, but they could legitimately have the worst offense in football this season. That's within the range of possible outcomes for this season. Remember the Curtis Painter Colts? And that team had Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, and Dallas Clark!
You are correct in stating the Stidham is a "huge question mark we know nothing about." It is not correct to say that Stidham is a huge question mark that Belichick and the Patriot coaching staff know nothing about.

He's got the best coaching staff to get him to the next level.
If he will become clutch we are his best spot.

He needs time though. We all have to be patient. It’s going to be a bumpy ride, especially with the tough schedule.

I don’t understand the turnover machine comment, he had 13 interceptions in 3 college seasons.

I agree that the biggest concern about Stidham is composure under pressure, but his problem is not throwing it up for grabs, it's taking unnecessary sacks including strip sacks.

You are correct in stating the Stidham is a "huge question mark we know nothing about." It is not correct to say that Stidham is a huge question mark that Belichick and the Patriot coaching staff know nothing about.

The Patriots coaching staff has seen Jarret Stidham play as many meaningful snaps as we have. He probably looks good in practice. We'll see how that translates to games.

He needs time though. We all have to be patient. It’s going to be a bumpy ride, especially with the tough schedule.

KC
BALT
SF
SEATTLE
HOUSTON

BUFFALO could be improved.

In some of the post game threads last season posters at the game pointed out that WRs were open on certain plays, but Brady did not throw them the ball. I know that Dorsett was on Bradys 5hitlist. Gordon was ignored at times.

So, its going to be refreshing to start of with a clean palate with all receiving options open. Spreading the ball around served the Pats and Brady so well in the beginning of his career in lieu of locking on to a couple of players. I believe that we will see an old school Parcells team approach winning with all 53 guys. 2001 Patriots style team that won in all 3 phases of the game.

The Patriots coaching staff has seen Jarret Stidham play as many meaningful snaps as we have. He probably looks good in practice. We'll see how that translates to games.

Exactly. NFL QB is not an easy extrapolation to make, even for the all-time greats under ideal conditions. Bill Walsh thought Giovanni Carmazzi was the next big thing and not Tom Brady. Hell, his guy was a way wore pick than Marc Bulger.

I feel like some Patriots fans are extremely casual about the risks of a QB change. People are acting like the floor for QB play is Matt Cassel and going 10-6 in 2021 is no biggie. You want to see the floor? Go watch Nathan Peterman's NFL highlights.

Exactly. NFL QB is not an easy extrapolation to make, even for the all-time greats under ideal conditions. Bill Walsh thought Giovanni Carmazzi was the next big thing and not Tom Brady. Hell, his guy was a way wore pick than Marc Bulger.

I feel like some Patriots fans are extremely casual about the risks of a QB change. People are acting like the floor for QB play is Matt Cassel and going 10-6 in 2021 is no biggie. You want to see the floor? Go watch Nathan Peterman's NFL highlights.

Cassel was also playing with the same players that had come off the single greatest offensive season in NFL history. Had he been playing with an aging Edelman, James White, and a whole ton of garbage and question marks besides, he would not have managed 11-5 that year.

I think people are just excited for some change though. I'm not particularly optimistic about Stidham, but I am excited for the question marks that he represents.

In some of the post game threads last season posters at the game pointed out that WRs were open on certain plays, but Brady did not throw them the ball. I know that Dorsett was on Bradys 5hitlist. Gordon was ignored at times.

So, its going to be refreshing to start of with a clean palate with all receiving options open. Spreading the ball around served the Pats and Brady so well in the beginning of his career in lieu of locking on to a couple of players. I believe that we will see an old school Parcells team approach winning with all 53 guys. 2001 Patriots style team that won in all 3 phases of the game.

There is no NFL offense where getting open by running the wrong route will get you the ball consistently.

The QB has to throw to where the receiver is supposed to be before they get there, usually before they even make their break; QBs don't wait for the guy to get open and then throw very often at the NFL level.

There is no NFL offense where getting open by running the wrong route will get you the ball consistently.

The QB has to throw to where the receiver is supposed to be before they get there, usually before they even make their break; QBs don't wait for the guy to get open and then throw very often at the NFL level.

Wrong

Watch KC. Mahones improvises.

Wrong

Watch KC. Mahones improvises.

The word you skipped is "consistently."

Mahomes making freak throws makes the highlight reels, but almost everything the Chiefs do is within the framework of Andy Reid's offense.

Kelce and Hill aren't constantly botching their routes within that system.

Cassel was also playing with the same players that had come off the single greatest offensive season in NFL history. Had he been playing with an aging Edelman, James White, and a whole ton of garbage and question marks besides, he would not have managed 11-5 that year.

I think people are just excited for some change though. I'm not particularly optimistic about Stidham, but I am excited for the question marks that he represents.

Cassel was a very different QB than Brady. Way more mobile. The offense in 08 suited him not Brady. Stidham too will not run Brady’s offense.

Cassel was a very different QB than Brady. Way more mobile. The offense in 08 suited him not Brady. Stidham too will not run Brady’s offense.

Okay but that doesn't say anything about the talent around him, which is currently negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST