PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical question. Would you rather have Tom Brady or Mac Jones going into the 2022 season.?

moosekill

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The past is the past. We can argue and debate as to whether or not the Patriots would have been better in 2020 and 2021 if they had reached and agreement with Tom to keep him here. But they didn't and he left.

So with that being said, going into 2022, knowing everything we know right now, would you rather be the Patriots with Jones, or Tampa with Brady?

Brady (and Gronk)

The past is the past. We can argue and debate as to whether or not the Patriots would have been better in 2020 and 2021 if they had reached and agreement with Tom to keep him here. But they didn't and he left.

So with that being said, going into 2022, knowing everything we know right now, would you rather be the Patriots with Jones, or Tampa with Brady?
The only reason why Brady had a prayer was because the Rams fumbled 4 times.

Brady still had Evans, Miller, Gronk and Fournette.

Tampa with Brady and Patriots with Jones are comparing apples and oranges. One team is elite and still a Super Bowl contender, the other one is rebuilding and at least 2 seasons away from being ready to compete in the AFC.

Unless the question is would you rather have Brady or Jones on the Patriots for 2022? Then that's easy. Brady. Bill can work around the deficiencies on defense with Brady on the team. With a young QB still figuring things out it's way harder as we all saw.

Tampa with Brady and Patriots with Jones are comparing apples and oranges. One team is elite and still a Super Bowl contender, the other one is rebuilding and at least 2 seasons away from being ready to compete in the AFC.

Unless the question is would you rather have Brady or Jones on the Patriots for 2022? Then that's easy. Brady. Bill can work around the deficiencies on defense with Brady on the team. With a young QB still figuring things out it's way harder as we all saw.
I don’t think it’s a serious thread. It appears to be the old dudes doing a little bit of mutual masturbation.

That REALLY REALLY depends. Are we talking JUST for the 2022 season, assuming the NFL never plays another season? Tom is the easy answer. But I don't think that's going to happen, so gotta go with Mac. Kid has some buildable skills. Processing speed, work ethic, accuracy are all traits that are virtually impossible to improve once you reach the NFL. Many QBs lack one or more of these traits coming out of college and they never get better.

Arm strength can improve, weapons can improve. Knowing how to place the ball? Showing the manic desire to learn and not repeat mistakes? Mac's got those important traits.

For one season? Obviously Brady. But this is almost definitely gonna be his last season so if you’re talking a straight up exchange no that’s insane.

I don’t think it’s a serious thread. It appears to be the old dudes doing a little bit of mutual masturbation.
No, I was actually being serious. I think you have a few questions right now. 1. Will Brady be back and play in 2022, obviously the biggest question. If so, how many more years will he play 2. Will Jones continue to improve. 3. Will Jone's salary allow the Patriots to invest more money into other positions to make them stronger.

Mac Jones……love Brady and what he did as a Patriot, but that ship has sailed.

Right, if you get to ignore the salary cap...

Brady costs $18M against the cap in 2022 and has two voidable years 2022-3 pretty much guaranteeing a $25M cap hit in 2023 even if he is not playing for Tampa. He can do to Tampa what he did to us, leave for greener pastures, or just retire, but either way Tampa is stuck with the big bang on the salary cap.

Mac costs $3.5M against the cap in 2022, then $4.2M in 2023 and $5.0M in 2024.

The difference in salary cap means you can have Mac plus an elite class FA signing for the next three years, vs one year of Tom then salary cap hell the year after, or maybe 2-3 middle class players, all depends on how you structure the deals.

If no salary cap you take TB12, he's the ****ing GOAT! But that ignores the fact that one big reason he isn't here still is the salary cap.

If you’re asking for one season, easily brady. If you’re asking if its brady for whatever year or couple years he has left vs mac for 15+ years, easily mac.

No, I was actually being serious. I think you have a few questions right now. 1. Will Brady be back and play in 2022, obviously the biggest question. If so, how many more years will he play 2. Will Jones continue to improve. 3. Will Jone's salary allow the Patriots to invest more money into other positions to make them stronger.
1. Yes. He will play in 2022 and then year to year after that.
2. Yes I think so. The window just closed on the "he's a rookie" excuse - now we need to see a much better QB next year and I think we will.
3. Hope so. The defense needs a lot of attention.

Last edited:
One season Brady
Realistically longterm Mac. Brady is either gone this year or next

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing