PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical question. Would you rather have Tom Brady or Mac Jones going into the 2022 season.?

Brady brought his team back yesterday. Mack couldn't even sniff at doing the same last week.
No player on any team, ever, could carry his team to victory when the opposing team scores a touchdown every single time they have the ball.

Brady's comeback from 28-3 to a 34-28 OT win depended on the 28 staying put at 28. It was amazing and maybe my favorite sports memory, but let's not ignore the fact that it was do or die for the D as well.

Brady's comeback from 27-3 yesterday would have been a win too, I'd bet, if 27 stayed put at 27. But it didn't, and that's no bad reflection on Brady either.

Mac Jones. Brady is retiring this off-season or next, The Patriots are in the process of rebuilding to contender status, and even Brady wouldn’t win a Championship with the current team next season . Give Jones weapons and spend the rest of their resources in defense. Time to move on.

was this some kind of trick question?..or is there some kind of new mind altering drug that has hit the area market?

Do we get Evans, Godwin, Gronkowski, Fournette also? If so then Brady. Otherwise Mac.

The real question—do you want:
  • Mac Jones and the cap space and draft capital to improve the team around him, or
  • A more expensive veteran QB?
Given that choice, I'll take Mac.

Last edited:
Agreed. He would have been back in the NFC Championship Game (and winning it against his old pal, Jimmy G IMO) if it wasn't for his defense forgetting they had to play the last 45 seconds of regulation. Mac played well for a rookie this year, but at the end of the year he was just a rookie. Brady brought his team back yesterday. Mack couldn't even sniff at doing the same last week.
At one point I was wondering if we could get comeback holidays on 3/27 and 3/28. Then the coaches took over and blew it.

Why wouldn't I chose Brady under any circumstances? It's a major improvement in the most important position and any salary difference is well worth it.

Why wouldn't I chose Brady under any circumstances? It's a major improvement in the most important position and any salary difference is well worth it.
Well he costs a lot more , is 44, and was circumspect about retiring. He improves the position next year, if he plays, but probably degrades it when he quits.

Brady could out perform and probably stay more healthy than Mac Jones for the entire duration of Mac Jones rookie contract.

That ship didn't really sail. Bill cut the ropes and let it drift away. ;)
And it was the right decision.
We won as many Sbs in the last 2 years without Brady (and the resulting cap hit) than we would have with him (and not having the players who were here because of the extra cap money)
And we head into 2022 stronger than if he had stayed.

Brady could out perform and probably stay more healthy than Mac Jones for the entire duration of Mac Jones rookie contract.
I guess not since he isn’t playing football any more.

The real question—do you want:
  • Mac Jones and the cap space and draft capital to improve the team around him, or
  • A more expensive veteran QB?
Given that choice, I'll take Mac.

What draft capital?

And it was the right decision.
We won as many Sbs in the last 2 years without Brady (and the resulting cap hit) than we would have with him (and not having the players who were here because of the extra cap money)
And we head into 2022 stronger than if he had stayed.
Keeping Brady wasn't going to cost us players. The difference could have been just one player. Whoever that player was it would have been better to keep Brady.

Nobody, including you, has any clue how the team would have done with Brady as the QB this year. If I had to bet though I'd say that the Pats would have been better off with Brady than Jones. There would also be the benefit of having Jones learn for a year.

Keeping Brady wasn't going to cost us players. The difference could have been just one player. Whoever that player was it would have been better to keep Brady.

Nobody, including you, has any clue how the team would have done with Brady as the QB this year. If I had to bet though I'd say that the Pats would have been better off with Brady than Jones. There would also be the benefit of having Jones learn for a year.
Keeping Brady for 2 years would have cost 50 mill plus probably dead money next year like Tampa will pay.
The patriots + Brady - 50 mill of cap Soave wouldn’t have been the same team that surrounded Jones. At least half of the acquisitions wouldn’t have been here.
Then we would be rebuilding now with fewer players and a dead money hit. And we would have jones because we would have been picking lower if Brady was the 2020 QB instead of Newton.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back