PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hurricane Matthew threatens the East Coast...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 8 miles from the ocean, almost due East of Lake Okeechobee, the big dot you see on every FL map.

It's getting serious, as the possibility of tropical storm force winds has gone from 20% a few days ago to about 90% now. The possibility of hurricane force winds has gone from 0% a few days ago to about 30% now.

So I have gas for the generator, propane for the grill, gas in the car, food & water in abundance, have stowed away all patio furniture and anything else that could blow around. 70% of the house has high impact windows that don't need shutters. Tomorrow morning the rest (sliders facing the pool) will get their shutters.

Not fun, but it's been 10 years since we've done this drill and it's not like we haven't seen it coming.

I hope for minimal power outages. But if there's no power on Sunday, I'll find a sports bar with power!

We'll be safe. I'm on (relatively speaking) high ground, so even 10 inches of rain isn't a problem, as long as the roof stays on!

Hard to think about the inconvenience of trying to watch a football game when I imagine what is going on in Haiti and what is likely to happen in the Bahamas.
That entire area is under hurricane warning now according to NOAA. You're almost certainly gonna get 75+ winds.

Good luck. I got friends and family in Jupiter and st lucie area. Luckily Tampa will just get some mild wind and rain.

Just saw the latest forecast for NE. Most models and forecasters including the National Weather Service predicting out to sea south and east of us. Eastern Florida and SE states still under the gun. Still a somewhat fluid situation.

I got friends and family in Jupiter and st lucie area.
I'm in Palm Beach Gardens, which borders Jupiter. Every update moves that darn track closer and closer to land, keeping in mind that you can be 60 miles away from the center of the track and still get hurricane force winds.

I'm staying in constant contact with family in south Florida. I'm in Jacksonville Beach and we may get evacuated. They're expecting 7' storm surges. The news here is saying that they're not confident in their predictions and any deviation could lead to a catastrophe. It could either be a tropical storm or Andrew all over again.

Meteorologists not confident in their predictions? I'm shocked!

I'm in Palm Beach Gardens, which borders Jupiter. Every update moves that darn track closer and closer to land, keeping in mind that you can be 60 miles away from the center of the track and still get hurricane force winds.
Yea, I've already informed them they can come over to west coast if they want to evac. Worst storm I've been through was Charley and that was pretty darn wicked. Can still see spots down south where it sheared the tree tops. Good luck and be safe.

If only Exponent scientists understood the concepts that go into the "cone of uncertainty" charts.

I think the "scientists" over at Exponent reach their conclusions pretty much the same way meteorologists do - i.e. by flipping a coin.

I'm 8 miles from the ocean, almost due East of Lake Okeechobee, the big dot you see on every FL map.

It's getting serious, as the possibility of tropical storm force winds has gone from 20% a few days ago to about 90% now. The possibility of hurricane force winds has gone from 0% a few days ago to about 30% now.

So I have gas for the generator, propane for the grill, gas in the car, food & water in abundance, have stowed away all patio furniture and anything else that could blow around. 70% of the house has high impact windows that don't need shutters. Tomorrow morning the rest (sliders facing the pool) will get their shutters.

Not fun, but it's been 10 years since we've done this drill and it's not like we haven't seen it coming.

I hope for minimal power outages. But if there's no power on Sunday, I'll find a sports bar with power!

We'll be safe. I'm on (relatively speaking) high ground, so even 10 inches of rain isn't a problem, as long as the roof stays on!

Hard to think about the inconvenience of trying to watch a football game when I imagine what is going on in Haiti and what is likely to happen in the Bahamas.

I agree **** the games. I'm in Volusia County and headed down to Boca in the morning to secure my house. Hopefully it heads out further east but it doesn't look good.

Just heard there's a hurricane headed to Cleveland due to hit Sunday. Category 5 or 6 TD.

Seriously though, you guys take care and be safe.

The 0z GFS is out and it is weird. Direct hit for Florida-South Carolina, takes a turn out to sea, then goes south and hits the Bahamas AGAIN! WTF?

My guess, the models have it wrong and it hits Florida then goes into the GoM!

The 0z GFS is out and it is weird. Direct hit for Florida-South Carolina, takes a turn out to sea, then goes south and hits the Bahamas AGAIN! WTF?

It's supposed to come up the east coast then take a turn. One model that I've seen is that it turns again and heads back toward Florida but the rest of them have it going out into the Atlantic Ocean again. Some reports I've seen have it strengthening into a Category 4 before it hits Florida. Not fun.

Just heard this AM it's not going to impact us at all...Mark Rosenthal doesn't lie:confused::confused::confused:

Lot of atmospheric events are at play. there is a strong high pressure ridge in Mid-Atlantic that is not allowing #Matthew to go north east + other factors like an approaching frontal boundary that will influence it. It is getting pushed in all directions but something gotta give at some point !

Model mayhem at the best :confused:

Last edited:
As long as the power does not go out idc
If it does then just be patient with the utility guys in your area. My dad has worked in that field all his life. They're pretty much risking their lives so the residents can open their refrigerator and have a light come on inside when they do. Their first priority will be getting first responders up and running. Police and fire stations, government, etc. After that, they restore the circuits one at a time starting with the circuits that will cut power back on to the biggest number of houses and then they work their way down.

I think the "scientists" over at Exponent reach their conclusions pretty much the same way meteorologists do - i.e. by flipping a coin.

could a DA's office charge Exponent with fraud?

So it's gonna pull an Ivan. Damn thing hit Florida twice in 2005.

Ivan_2004_track.png

That thing is backtracking more that King Roger's stance on comparing deflategate and the punishment thereof to his "authority" for punishment under the drug policy...

...took a while but I got there eventually...

That's actually pretty badass. Not going to lie.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-05-12-59-14.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-05-12-59-14.png
    817.6 KB · Views: 17
I'm staying in constant contact with family in south Florida. I'm in Jacksonville Beach and we may get evacuated. They're expecting 7' storm surges. The news here is saying that they're not confident in their predictions and any deviation could lead to a catastrophe. It could either be a tropical storm or Andrew all over again.

My crazy brother who lives in Miami Beach is planning on staying put. He lived in New Orleans back when Katrina hit and I had to convince back then to get the heck out of there. Hopefully I can do so again this time. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes