PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hoyer Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m very shocked by this. I thought for sure Hoyer was gonna be Brady’s back up. He looked better in camp this year by a lot over last year. I probably like Stidham more than most people here, I was extremely impressed by his play, but I think Hoyer could’ve won a game or two if the unspeakable happened, not sure about if Stidham can at this point.

Belichick has forgotten more about football than I’ll ever know, obviously he’s very impressed by Stidham, enough so that he’s Brady’s safety net. If Brady can stay healthy, he may have a monster season. This may be Jimmy G part 2. Stidham is very talented, and if he had come out a year earlier, would’ve been a 1st round pick. It turned out to be a GREAT pick in the 4th round.

Also, I’m shocked they couldn’t get something for Hoyer in a trade. Think about teams like the Eagles, they are desperate for a backup QB.

I know this news has hit a lot of us really hard. Let's just focus on making it through today. Know you are loved, friends, you can over come this and see the sunrise tomorrow.

I think this is the way to go. Keep the roster spot for depth.

Stidham has looked good, the defense looks great and a strong running game makes this an easier decision.

No disrespect to Hoyer. He his part for those trophies.

Most people on this board (including me) don’t know how to evaluate the QB position
Yea I'm just messing around but some do, to an extent. Certainly more than others. Many posters tried sticking their chest out talking down to posters who thought their was a discussion to be had.

I always thought there was a path for Hoyer on the 53 but thought Stidham made it a tough decision early on & it was a real possibility (QB2).

Last edited:
I wish Hoyer could have stuck around but it's time to look to the future. Stidham is possibly the future QB1...let's embrace it and move forward.

Tell me Andy who do you think the Colts would rather have backing up Jacoby. Brian Hoyer, or Jim Kelly's drunken nephew? And that's just one market. The Lions would be another. And who is backing up Deshawn in Texas? And that's just the Patriots related situations.
They may rather have Kelly because they aren’t winning anyway. What would you do play the young guy you are high on a veteran in the back 9?
You can make an argument that Hoyer could beat out some backups but there isn’t a team out there saying if our qb goes down we can go all the way with Hoyer. He is one of a large group of meh. But he’s our meh.

I'd still rather have Hoyer. Stidham has way more upside, but I just don't think he's ready. Let's hope it doesn't matter for a few more years, eh?

Benching Butler
Allowing 5 9 Ellis Hobbs on a island against 6 6 Plaxico
Not paying TY Law market value.
Drafting Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson in a draft loaded with defensive stars.
Drafting Jeremy Mincey over Carlos Dunlap.
I mean he has made mistakes.
WTF...

A little surprising to me given Stidham's shaky/messy start to the last preseason game, but I guess I can see it as there were several other groups of players that were so deep, we really need the roster spot. Thanks for everything Brian and good luck to you in catching on elsewhere, or maybe he's agreed to be part of the shadow roster.

Im a little suprised by that but its good news imo regarding bb’s faith in stidham.

I’m very shocked by this. I thought for sure Hoyer was gonna be Brady’s back up. He looked better in camp this year by a lot over last year. I probably like Stidham more than most people here, I was extremely impressed by his play, but I think Hoyer could’ve won a game or two if the unspeakable happened, not sure about if Stidham can at this point.

Belichick has forgotten more about football than I’ll ever know, obviously he’s very impressed by Stidham, enough so that he’s Brady’s safety net. If Brady can stay healthy, he may have a monster season. This may be Jimmy G part 2. Stidham is very talented, and if he had come out a year earlier, would’ve been a 1st round pick. It turned out to be a GREAT pick in the 4th round.

Also, I’m shocked they couldn’t get something for Hoyer in a trade. Think about teams like the Eagles, they are desperate for a backup QB.
You were shocked twice in one thread. Looks like a good weekend!;)

I wonder if Hoyer might just take his $1.5 million guaranteed and call it a career. He made enough in the middle of his career that he doesn’t need to keep playing away from his family for near minimum salary.
I would hope the Pats might like to have him as a coaching assistant in the near future if that's the case.

The noodle has been sliced ... hallelujah.

Thank god. People were out of their minds calling him valuable.

Benching Butler
Allowing 5 9 Ellis Hobbs on a island against 6 6 Plaxico
Not paying TY Law market value.
Drafting Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson in a draft loaded with defensive stars.
Drafting Jeremy Mincey over Carlos Dunlap.
I mean he has made mistakes.
Ok, so let's posit that Belichik's not perfect. He'll just have to settle for GOAT.

A little surprising to me given Stidham's shaky/messy start to the last preseason game
Did you notice Ferentz at center getting tossed around like a pillow and shoved backwards into Studham’s pocket. Rewatch that first series

It's reported that there's interest on both sides in re-signing Thomas. Haven't heard that about Hoyer, though doesn't mean it won't happen.

I believe that Hoyer cannot be expected not to listen to offers from other teams. It seems very likely that someone would offer him more guaranteed money than he has, perhaps a 2 year contract.

It's reported that there's interest on both sides in re-signing Thomas. Haven't heard that about Hoyer, though doesn't mean it won't happen.

Will be interesting to see how Stidham settles into the role of Scout team QB. Hoyer put in some crucial reps for the defense during the practice for SB 53 and it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back