PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Howe: Pats not close to trading Gilmore

Yep, that certainly would've been in the best interest of the T-E-A-M...but Halas & Shula are within reach, so...

Gillmore was probably not the difference between 7-9 and 6-10 last season so might as well have gotten an asset for him that could now be contributing. Oh well.

BTW, why was Howe taken off the Pats beat on The Athletic? Does anyone know?

I assume it is because he is moving up to be a national NFL guy? The new guy is cool, but just wondering.
================

And Gilmore is not going anywhere, not getting a raise, and etc...until he's ready to play, IMO.

As it stands now, the Pats will most liklely get a third round comp pick if Gilmore leaves in the off season. I doubt they will get much more for him if they trade him after week 6. Because whoever trades for him, would then have to pony up the money for a new contract.

So Hopefully, he "recovers" from this injury and comes back to play for the Pats this year.
This is probably what happens. I think his house on the market last year was a real thing.

BTW, why was Howe taken off the Pats beat on The Athletic? Does anyone know?

I assume it is because he is moving up to be a national NFL guy? The new guy is cool, but just wondering.
================

And Gilmore is not going anywhere, not getting a raise, and etc...until he's ready to play, IMO.
This reminds me of Aqib Talib in 2012. He was an injury prone disappointment on terrible Bucs teams and the Pats took a chance on him. He played great through his two seasons here until his had two straight AFCCG injuries.

Contending teams should seriously consider trading for Gilmore. Bill knows Gilmore at 31 is probably not worth a first.

I think he's played his last down here. I hope I'm wrong.

Your enthusiasm for our secondary is not shared by everyone...including me.

No argument here.

He's on the Reserve/PUP list and must miss at least the first 6 games.
6 weeks, which runs right up against the week 8, iirc, trade deadline

Darius Slay was 29 when he signed his deal. Gilmore is 31 and coming off a serious injury.

I wouldn't give him a new contract until he plays and we can all see what he's got. He already got paid for past performance.

Even if they do trade him, it won't be for at least five weeks. I doubt any team will trade for him while he has five weeks to go on PUP. And when he gets off, they probably won't get enough for him to make it worth it with only 10-11 games left in the season for him to play.

I think the Pats should have traded him before last season. They weren't going anywhere anyways after Brady walked. They could have gotten good value and probably used the money saved to get his replacement.

Darius Slay was 29 when he signed his deal. Gilmore is 31 and coming off a serious injury.

I wouldn't give him a new contract until he plays and we can all see what he's got. He already got paid for past performance.
When Slay gets hurt again, with his overpaid and overrated behind on IR, that team or Dallas would be a logical trade partner.

When Slay gets hurt again, with his overpaid and overrated behind on IR, that team or Dallas would be a logical trade partner.
Bill probably wants a 1 or a 2 + 4 and no one is paying anything until Gilmore gets on the field.

If they were going to trade him, it should have been midway through the 2020 season when it was clear the team was going nowhere. It makes zero sense to trade him now.
Same with Thuney. Wasted like 8M in cap and didn’t get a pick for him. Not the end of the world but clearly a mistake.

I only was willing to hang onto him if a deal seemed probably and it never seemed to be close.

I am telling you do not trust Mills as a potential starter. JC Jackson is just a CB2 and and I think his value raises when a legit CB alike Gilmore is next to him.
IMO the best team interest is to keep Gilmore pay him a reasonable money and make our secondary a real deal.

I am telling you do not trust Mills as a potential starter. JC Jackson is just a CB2 and and I think his value raises when a legit CB alike Gilmore is next to him.
IMO the best team interest is to keep Gilmore pay him a reasonable money and make our secondary a real deal.

Pats are mixing incongruent strategies. If you were going for a ring, then sure spend big money on FA's but also should keep Gilmore happy. If you are just going for a development year because your QB is a rookie, then OK maybe move Gilmore but then also consider old vets like Hightower or McCourty, give multiple young guys a lot of snaps then at CB, LB, FS.

Right now the team spent huge money but is making Gilmore unhappy, and so this team is in a weird thing.

Pats are mixing incongruent strategies. If you were going for a ring, then sure spend big money on FA's but also should keep Gilmore happy. If you are just going for a development year because your QB is a rookie, then OK maybe move Gilmore but then also consider old vets like Hightower or McCourty, give multiple young guys a lot of snaps then at CB, LB, FS.

Right now the team spent huge money but is making Gilmore unhappy, and so this team is in a weird thing.
Yes, the question is what we or even more BB expects from the team. IMO it is hard to believe we are a contender and we are chasing the ring this season. However getting the playoffs is achievable and would be treated as a success. Give a chance for Mac to develop and be a leader, give young players more minutes, that is obvious. More complicated is where is the place for Gilmore in this BB's vision.

Same with Thuney. Wasted like 8M in cap and didn’t get a pick for him. Not the end of the world but clearly a mistake.

I only was willing to hang onto him if a deal seemed probably and it never seemed to be close.
He didn't trade Thuney because Bill tried to re-sign him during FA.
Yeah Mills is bad. Bizarre signing. Jackson is not taking advantage of his opportunity to make big money. He gets INT's against non #1's, but continues to get beat by the #1's.

He was a good player in Detroit, but that was it. He benefited from the media overhyping him. He's been terrible in Philly.

He didn't trade Thuney because Bill tried to re-sign him during FA.

Yeah Mills is bad. Bizarre signing. Jackson is not taking advantage of his opportunity to make big money. He gets INT's against non #1's, but continues to get beat by the #1's.

I thin the Mills signing might be tied to McCourty and the Safety position. Could be wrong, just get that vibe based on guys like McCourty or a guy like Slater possibly retiring at any time. Wasn't Mills moved to S in Philly from CB?

Are you willing to give up at least a first round pick in addition to Gilmore? Because that trade is not happening if it's just player for player.
I'm betting the best you could get for Gilmore now or at the deadline WITHOUT evidence he's fully recovered and can still play at a high level...a 4th or a 5th..IF they're extremely lucky on the Pats side and desperate on the trading partner side.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back