PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you rate the Jones and Hightower picks?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What grade would you give the picks?

• A

Votes: 180 87.8%
  • B

Votes: 24 11.7%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I give it an A. Finally some speed and more strength. Front 7 will be pretty good in the years to come

Right now an A. Highly rated prospects in positions of need. What becomes of the rest of the draft and the on-traded picks will determine the value of these trades.

i think most would agree they got the best available players and they filled a need. thats got to be a A? time will tell.

Jets fans trying to reach and find bad things about our draft so far :singing:

I don't really understand how Hightower fits. Jones obviously plays 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, and Hightower would play 4-3 LB or 3-4 ILB. He would either be displacing Spikes or Ninkovich, and I feel like that would be putting talent on the bench.

But I still give them an A because there's not much else they could have done with the pick. I'm not as down on our DTs as most people are. Let's grab an interior OL (Silatolu?) and CB (Jenkins?) tomorrow night and anything else is icing on the cake.

A+

Love this draft.

What was Jones knee injury? ACL? Hightowers the same?

Gave it an A because this was my dream 1st round.

That's not good though becuase one of my most famous post draft quotes was. "Why the hell would they waste a pick on that Brady kid. They have their future QB in Michael Bishop"

An A just for Hightower alone. He'll be an immediate impact player.

Jones may need some work with his pass rush techniques but is real stout vs the run.

After we add a CB w/ ball skills, we will have improved both the run and pass defense w/ 3 players. This, I have no doubt.

Jets fans trying to reach and find bad things about our draft so far :singing:

Playing Devil's advocate, Jones is not a guarantee to be a beast as a pass rusher, never had a 10+ season, and Hightower has a reconstructed knee. That being said, I'm personally excited about the potential of both picks. Love Jones' size and potential, and absolutely drool over what Hightower brings to the table as far as size versatility, and if he can stay healthy, he's just an overall stud prospect. Overall, I give it an A-, I understand the Jet's fans comments. Maybe a combo of Mercilus and Upshaw would be a more potent mix than Jones and Hightower.

I'm sure BB saw something in Jones that wowed him though.

Fantastic. Not what I was expecting. Better.

I think the hightower pick is a Gronk pick, we moved up to grab what the Ravens want, Ravens knows this guy is the best available guy to replace Ray Lewis, and Nick Seban had told BB something that we don't know about Hightower, but everyone who saw the national championship game should know how good this guy is

Go read the Ravens board. They wanted both guys.
I LOVE IT!

Playing Devil's advocate, Jones is not a guarantee to be a beast as a pass rusher, never had a 10+ season, and Hightower has a reconstructed knee. That being said, I'm personally excited about the potential of both picks. Love Jones' size and potential, and absolutely drool over what Hightower brings to the table as far as size versatility, and if he can stay healthy, he's just an overall stud prospect. Overall, I give it an A-, I understand the Jet's fans comments. Maybe a combo of Mercilus and Upshaw would be a more potent mix than Jones and Hightower.

I'm sure BB saw something in Jones that wowed him though.

Jones had knee surgery as well..didn't he?

And hightowers knee was 2 years ago...numbers picked up last year which was his 2nd year back after the surgery

you guys had better be happy with this draft -- 2 trade ups in one round.

and OMGPASSRUSH!!

Went with B but the potential is there for that to become an A, and soon.

Nice job, the best team in the AFC adds some potential immediate impact.

I don't really understand how Hightower fits. Jones obviously plays 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, and Hightower would play 4-3 LB or 3-4 ILB. He would either be displacing Spikes or Ninkovich, and I feel like that would be putting talent on the bench.

But I still give them an A because there's not much else they could have done with the pick. I'm not as down on our DTs as most people are. Let's grab an interior OL (Silatolu?) and CB (Jenkins?) tomorrow night and anything else is icing on the cake.

Hightower fits because, in a nickel scheme when the Pats like to play 2-Dline and 4 LBers, you can put Hightower and Mayo inside with Jones and Ninkovich outside.

Hightower gives them flexibility in the ILB rotation in the 3-4. Something they really haven't had and it has hurt them. Particularly last year when Fletcher and Spikes were both injured.

Jones can be the elephant ala Willie McGinest.. I believe that, with these guys, the Pats actually will have a lot of flexibility to rush the passer from various positions like they did in 2003 and 2004. When their pass rush was so effective.

Jones had knee surgery as well..didn't he?

And hightowers knee was 2 years ago...numbers picked up last year which was his 2nd year back after the surgery

Jones did not have knee surgery. He had an unspecified knee injury and missed 5 games. To me, that says sprained MCL.. He played the rest of the season with no lingering issues and performed well at the Combine and his Pro-Day.

The thing that both of these players have is LEADERSHIP. Jones is noted for spending time helping teammates and coaching them up on the scheme and Hightower took over leadership from Rolando McClain and likes to spend time in the film room..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes