PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to watch the draft without breaking the bank?

nothing you say can make me wrong lol. im fundamentally right. you can indeed pay more money in streaming services than some cable packages. cant argue against that

and btw i have both. but use like none of them except during football season

Forgot to add that I pay $49 a month for internet.

Oh for sure. Hell if you're like me and the only thing you care about is football you could just get rid of streaming services and cable altogether and just watch the free streams on reddit lol.

My point was, it is possible to pay more in streaming than for cable. Not everyone does. But it can happen. Was just a passing joke

You're right. Streaming can add up quickly.

I tried to watch NFL.com live, but they want to plug an extension into my browser. I assume that ESPN.com will try to pull the same type of crap....help!

Why won't you add an extension to your browser? It doesn't make any sense- its by far the cheapest option

Does the NFL.com feed have the full show or is it just a ticker tape of picks?

Supposedly ABC will be carrying it, but I assume it will be flooded with commercials....
Assuming its just the ticker tape. Which works for me.

Go to a bar or a restaurant. You can do that, can't you @FredFromDartmouth?
'Cause I will probably start drinking about selection 10 and then when we get to 15, the Patriots will trade back to 31 and by the time they get there I will be snoggered and when the Patriots trade down again from 31, I will try to drown my sorrows in another round. Not being able to drive, I will make a slobbery call to the wife who will give me the silent treatment as I pour myself into the car, mumbling about it all being Nike's fault then the next day I have the triple threat of a mad wife, a bad hangover, and having to face my boss at work.

If I watch at home, I can at least work out on my rowing machine while watching the early picks and then pop a frosty one. It will only be a short slide in the gutter to my bed.

Just hit me up mane. Ill provide my expert analysis as the picks roll in and throw in some terrible dad jokes in at the same time

I did the VPN NFL Europe Game Pass thing one season. It's a pain in the ass.
Game Pass is worth it in my opinion. Just hide until the game is over so you don't know the outcome. Can also listen to the games.
Wasn't worth it last season.

Forgot to add that I pay $49 a month for internet.
Right, but most people would be paying for that even if they never streamed media over the Internet.

In my case, I will use over-the-air TV to watch ABC on draft night, with the audio on low or mute.

I will probably find someone doing a live stream on YouTube that night and watch it on a 'second screen', phone, tablet or laptop, who knows. I found a good one last year. Also I think I heard Bill Simmons saying 'The Ringer' would be doing a live stream, but given they got bought out by Spotify, it'll probably be loaded with dumb-ass commercials.

As for the cord cutting stuff, I've been all in for at least the last five years or so. I have a large two-bay antenna in my attic mounted off a J-pole attached to the eaves pointing towards the towers in Needham, and a pre-amp because CH25 was marginal without it. I bought it all on Amazon for $130 and installed it myself, it was wikked easy. This was about what I was paying for one month of cable TV (basic package, plus "HD sports package" and nothing else). Now I can pull in all the Boston stations no problem at all.

And of course now I don't need to bend over every month as Komkast boosts the prices. Well, I still do for Internet, they just raised the cheapest service they offer from $49.95 to $54.95, which is a rip off.

'Cause I will probably start drinking about selection 10 and then when we get to 15, the Patriots will trade back to 31 and by the time they get there I will be snoggered and when the Patriots trade down again from 31, I will try to drown my sorrows in another round. Not being able to drive, I will make a slobbery call to the wife who will give me the silent treatment as I pour myself into the car, mumbling about it all being Nike's fault then the next day I have the triple threat of a mad wife, a bad hangover, and having to face my boss at work.

If I watch at home, I can at least work out on my rowing machine while watching the early picks and then pop a frosty one. It will only be a short slide in the gutter to my bed.
Hope you don't doze off before we pick the next N'Keal Harry or Sony Michel! ;)

Last edited:
Commercials are necessary for draft telecasts anyway.... who wants to hear analysts say "twitchy" ad nauseam?
Now you gone done it... draft drinking game?

Little sips when you hear...
Rangy
Twitchy
Long
Vertical
Take the top off a defense
Get home

Chug for comparisons to the 1999 draft that had Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpeper, and Cade McNown picked by pick 12.

Additions welcome. ...

Now you gone done it... draft drinking game?

Little sips when you hear...
Rangy
Twitchy
Long
Vertical
Take the top off a defense
Get home

Chug for comparisons to the 1999 draft that had Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpeper, and Cade McNown picked by pick 12.

Additions welcome. ...

Strong Arm
Leadership
All the tools
Can make all the throws
Accuracy

Between your list and my list we better take Friday off.

I looked at ESPN+ and found that is was, like $7 a month, but I suspect that ESPN+ will not even carry the live draft. Streaming ESPN or NFL.com through a streaming servics is such a pain the butt. Screw it; I will watch ABC

Strong Arm
Leadership
All the tools
Can make all the throws
Accuracy

Between your list and my list we better take Friday off.

"We could not believe that [insert player such as, ah, Bo Callahan?] was still available...."

Or swill a beer every time the Commish gets a bear hug...do a boilermaker if he cracks a rib.

"We could not believe that [insert player such as, ah, Bo Callahan?] was still available...."

Or swill a beer every time the Commish gets a bear hug...do a boilermaker if he cracks a rib.

If he cracks a rib I won't be available until Wednesday.

NFL.com usually stream it live

Your first mistake is still using Comcast/Xfinity for TV. Cut the cord, get yourself an Amazon fire stick or Roku and pick a streaming service.

May not be his fault. There are some areas in NE where Comcast is your only choice for internet.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back