PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to watch the draft without breaking the bank?

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
All I have is basic cable from XFinity/Comcast. When I tried to upgrade get the NFL channel or ESPN for a month or so, they wanted an extra $100 for a sports package.

I said no, but then they suggested pay-per-view, but there seems to be a lot of crapola to sign up for that, starting with having to sign up for a freaking Peacock Plus plan at $5 / month, but then I have to pay god knows what extra.

Is there a sane, simple way to watch the draft besides going to a sports bar and drowning my sorrows after the Patriots trade out of the first round with Waddle, etc. on the board?

I tried to watch NFL.com live, but they want to plug an extension into my browser. I assume that ESPN.com will try to pull the same type of crap....help!

I thought I read somewhere that the draft is also being broadcast on ABC, but I'd need to go find that again. If I can dig it up somewhere I'll edit the post... until then, just assume I'm full of s**t.

EDIT: For once I am not! Can't find where I read it originally, but just checked my XFinity app and it's being aired on ABC, which I would assume is part of your basic cable package as well.

All I have is basic cable from XFinity/Comcast. When I tried to upgrade get the NFL channel or ESPN for a month or so, they wanted an extra $100 for a sports package.

I said no, but then they suggested pay-per-view, but there seems to be a lot of crapola to sign up for that, starting with having to sign up for a freaking Peacock Plus plan at $5 / month, but then I have to pay god knows what extra.

Is there a sane, simple way to watch the draft besides going to a sports bar and drowning my sorrows after the Patriots trade out of the first round with Waddle, etc. on the board?

I tried to watch NFL.com live, but they want to plug an extension into my browser. I assume that ESPN.com will try to pull the same type of crap....help!

Your first mistake is still using Comcast/Xfinity for TV. Cut the cord, get yourself an Amazon fire stick or Roku and pick a streaming service.

If it ain't on over the air TV I'm not watching it. Between internets and now fcking Amazon Prime my budget is blown out. I'll follow here and on the nfl.com feed. That works for me. Plus we can't miss the new Law and Order on Thursday...

If it ain't on over the air TV I'm not watching it. Between internets and now fcking Amazon Prime my budget is blown out. I'll follow here and on the nfl.com feed. That works for me. Plus we can't miss the new Law and Order on Thursday...
ABC
NFLN
ESPN

Does the NFL.com feed have the full show or is it just a ticker tape of picks?

Supposedly ABC will be carrying it, but I assume it will be flooded with commercials....

Over here local time on Sky pay.........

8.00pm to 11.00pm - Draft preview
11.00pm to 12.00am - Draft red carpet !!!
12.00am to 01.00am - Draft Kick Off
01.00am to 04.30am - Draft live Day 1

Your first mistake is still using Comcast/Xfinity for TV. Cut the cord, get yourself an Amazon fire stick or Roku and pick a streaming service.
yes do that and then also get 6 more streaming services and then pay the same as cable anyway lol

Does the NFL.com feed have the full show or is it just a ticker tape of picks?

Supposedly ABC will be carrying it, but I assume it will be flooded with commercials....
Commercials are necessary for draft telecasts anyway.... who wants to hear analysts say "twitchy" ad nauseam?

yes do that and then also get 6 more streaming services and then pay the same as cable anyway lol

Yeah, that’s not how streaming services work.....it is clearly less expensive than cable TV, especially for people who aren’t interested in premium channels.

Yeah, that’s not how streaming services work.....it is clearly less expensive than cable TV, especially for people who aren’t interested in premium channels.
what do you mean thats "not how streaming services work?"

its basic math
15/mo for 7 streaming services costs more than like $80/mo cable

but maybe it's just semantics. most people like seeing the 10-15 dollar chargers on their account versus one big fat $120 one. its like the $19.99 vs $20.00 trick. if you get 1 streaming service for 1 or 2 shows, and then another service for another show, etc it all adds up in the end. not always, obviously. but a lot of the time

what do you mean thats "not how streaming services work?"

its basic math
15/mo for 7 streaming services costs more than like $80/mo cable

but maybe it's just semantics. most people like seeing the 10-15 dollar chargers on their account versus one big fat $120 one. its like the $19.99 vs $20.00 trick. if you get 1 streaming service for 1 or 2 shows, and then another service for another show, etc it all adds up in the end. not always, obviously. but a lot of the time

You’re still wrong. Feel free to continue to enjoy your cable TV, though. For a meat and potatoes guy like Fred, though, streaming is clearly less expensive.

You’re still wrong. Feel free to continue to enjoy your cable TV, though. For a meat and potatoes guy like Fred, though, streaming is clearly less expensive.
nothing you say can make me wrong lol. im fundamentally right. you can indeed pay more money in streaming services than some cable packages. cant argue against that

and btw i have both. but use like none of them except during football season

I thought I read somewhere that the draft is also being broadcast on ABC, but I'd need to go find that again. If I can dig it up somewhere I'll edit the post... until then, just assume I'm full of s**t.

EDIT: For once I am not! Can't find where I read it originally, but just checked my XFinity app and it's being aired on ABC, which I would assume is part of your basic cable package as well.

I just read that it is available on ABC too.

Screenshots_2021-04-27-15-17-11.png

nothing you say can make me wrong lol. im fundamentally right. you can indeed pay more money in streaming services than some cable packages. cant argue against that

and btw i have both. but use like none of them except during football season

Depends on what you want available. I use an HD antenna for all the local channels. Fox, NBC, ABC etc... I have Amazon free with phone service and pay for Netflix.

Also have a Yahoo account which plays free Thursday or Monday night games. I can't remember which.

Also have a game pass subscription that costs $100 a year.

Depends on what you want available. I use an HD antenna for all the local channels. Fox, NBC, ABC etc... I have Amazon free with phone service and pay for Netflix.

Also have a Yahoo account which plays free Thursday or Monday night games. I can't remember which.

Also have a game pass subscription that costs $100 a year.
Oh for sure. Hell if you're like me and the only thing you care about is football you could just get rid of streaming services and cable altogether and just watch the free streams on reddit lol.

My point was, it is possible to pay more in streaming than for cable. Not everyone does. But it can happen. Was just a passing joke

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back