PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to watch tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan7983

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Hey guys,
as its the off season, besides following the roster building, now is the time to dive a little deeper into football tactics, schemes, formations and so on. I never played the game myself, so all I can do is read game analysis, rewatch games and try to recognize as much as possible. I have access to the gamepass, so I can watch all-22 film. But how do you do it? In NFL documentations you can see coaches and players look at single plays, reeling back and forth to see how the play develops, how the players move, who gets blocked... Using the gamepass you cannot do that. You can just jump back a couple seconds, wait for the buffering and see the play again. No reeling possible. So how do you guys do it (if at all)? I could try to download the film to my hard drive. Any software suggestions? What videoplayer do you use? Any hardware?

My method is:

1. Print out a depth chart. Players #'s, position etc...
2. Use that to recognize who is on the field against opponents personnel. Run formations, empty backfields etc....
3. Watch each play variously. In gamepass you can click on the video screen which allows you to use the arrow keys to skip back or forwards. You can also click on the play speed to watch the play in slow motion.

4. I use wondershare filmora software to catch video recordings if I want to post something here.
5. I use PicPick to catch and draw up screen shots of a certain play.

By the way I've been doing this for a few years and still don't know what I'm looking at half the time. But it's fun to do and posting the video and screenshots here allows those who do know what they're looking at to comment which is where I learn the most.

5dvb.gif

At work I'll edit this later on what I do but here's a piece that I've heard stories about in the past.

3. Watch each play variously. In gamepass you can click on the video screen which allows you to use the arrow keys to skip back or forwards. You can also click on the play speed to watch the play in slow motion.

I tried it but it didnt work for me as described. Using the arrow keys I can jump back 10 seconds, but I would prefer going backwards in real time (kind of watch players running backwards etc.). Also I couldn't find the option to set the play speed to slow motion. Either the option isn't there (I'm using the european gamepass) or I'm just plain stupid :)

I already read Pat Kirwans book, really interesting and it helps a lot, watching/understanding the game. I also own Steve Belichicks book on scouting methods, will give it a try.

I read the original book several years ago and found it useful.

Apparently Kirwan has updated it with version 2.0

Take Your Eye Off the Ball: How to watch Football by Knowing Where to Look - by Pat Kirwan | Amazon

I would suggest looking at that book first before jumping into tape (as mentioned above by Tony, try NFL's Gamepass when you are ready - they do have a free trial).

NFL Game Pass | Replay Every NFL Game of the Season

Someone here suggested that book to me a few years ago. I love that book, the CD that came with it and his website (which is not longer available). All very informative stuff.

I tried it but it didnt work for me as described. Using the arrow keys I can jump back 10 seconds, but I would prefer going backwards in real time (kind of watch players running backwards etc.). Also I couldn't find the option to set the play speed to slow motion. Either the option isn't there (I'm using the european gamepass) or I'm just plain stupid :)

I already read Pat Kirwans book, really interesting and it helps a lot, watching/understanding the game. I also own Steve Belichicks book on scouting methods, will give it a try.

When you hover the mouse over the playscreen a toolbar automatically pops up on the bottom. That's where the Slow option is. Maybe the Euro version doesn't have it.

upload_2019-2-16_17-20-15.png

A few years ago a friend of mine used to brag that the Pats used the stuff from his place of work, Avid Technology - Wikipedia in Burlington. No idea if it was off the shelf or customized.

When you hover the mouse over the playscreen a toolbar automatically pops up on the bottom. That's where the Slow option is. Maybe the Euro version doesn't have it.

View attachment 22599

Nope. Totally different interface. Hopefully they will change that some day, I dont see why there must be anything different depending on the country...

Nope. Totally different interface. Hopefully they will change that some day, I dont see why there must be anything different depending on the country...

That's unfortunate. It's a very useful tool to have. Send them a message and see if they plan on standardizing the Euro version or at least find out why they are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots