PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to lose to the Jets in week 17

You can’t call a guy playing for pretty much the first time since high school throwing a bad pass a cheating conspiracy.
Cassell played practically the Entire game...It wasn't like he needed to loosen-up his arm or anything:

Cassell played practically the Entire game...It wasn't like he needed to loosen-up his arm or anything:

Driving for a td and making a bad pass on the 2 pt conversion has to be the lamest claim of tanking I have ever heard.

I did not realize that Flutie got an AFC ST Player of the Week for that drop kick! BB putting sentimentality over the win. Worth it I think.

I did not realize that Flutie got an AFC ST Player of the Week for that drop kick! BB putting sentimentality over the win. Worth it I think.
He made the kick.

So. It didn’t affect the game.
At the time of the decision, the game was very much in doubt, so sentimentality took precedence over the win from a risk standpoint. Then again, taking out Brady to put in Cassel far exceeded any probability changes that the drop kick decision effected, so my argument is pretty moot.

At the time of the decision, the game was very much in doubt, so sentimentality took precedence over the win from a risk standpoint. Then again, taking out Brady to put in Cassel far exceeded any probability changes that the drop kick decision effected, so my argument is pretty moot.
You can’t say he risked winning when the kick was good.
Resting Brady was the right thing to do.

You can’t say he risked winning when the kick was good.
Resting Brady was the right thing to do.
Of course I can - it lowered the odds with the attempt. A short XP attempt has a much higher percentage of success than a drop kick attempt - part of the reason why it hadn't been attempted in 64 years. That being said, as I alluded to in the end, you're absolutely right that in the grand scheme of things, it really really didn't affect the game because he rested Brady. Their chances of winning plummeted when Cassel came in, and the drop kick attempt didn't really matter comparatively speaking.

Of course I can - it lowered the odds with the attempt. A short XP attempt has a much higher percentage of success than a drop kick attempt - part of the reason why it hadn't been attempted in 64 years. That being said, as I alluded to in the end, you're absolutely right that in the grand scheme of things, it really really didn't affect the game because he rested Brady. Their chances of winning plummeted when Cassel came in, and the drop kick attempt didn't really matter comparatively speaking.
Rumor is flute never missed on those so I doubt it had any risk.
The point in all of this was people were off their rockers saying belichick threw the game and lost on purpose.

Rumor is flute never missed on those so I doubt it had any risk.
The point in all of this was people were off their rockers saying belichick threw the game and lost on purpose.
Earlier I found a quote that Flutie was 80% confident he was going to make it, but he was probably just underestimating it because he'd never done it in a game (obv), so I'd believe that rumor.

Sorry to push - I am definitely not one of those people who think that.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back