PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How should the Patriots use their cap $ in 2024 Free Agency?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the #1 free agency priority for the Patriots?

• Sign a RB (e.g. Derrick Henry, Saquon Barkley, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How should they spend it?

expensive GIF

The first and most important way to fix the offense... find a QB.

WR's and weapons with no QB are like cars with no engines... useless.

Find a QB and LT in the first two rounds of the draft, then pepper the roster with "weapons" from the third round on.

In free agency… sign Onwenu, two of your three TE’s, Duggar if you can afford him, Uche as well… sign your own best players.

Right on the money.

Pats need to Re-Sign: Onwenu, Dugger, Jennings, Bourne.

Pats need to look at:
S - Xavier McKinney, Geno Stone, Julian Blackmon, Kamren Curl
CB - Jaylon Johnson, Keisean Nixon, L'Jarius Sneed, A'doree Jackon, Kendall Fuller
TE - Dalton Schultz, Drew Sample,
DT - Leonard Williams, Christian Wilkins
QB - ??
RB - Elliott, Z. Moss, Edmunds, Swift, Singletary,
WR - Not unless the Pats were 10000% sold that the Bears or Commanders were taking MHJ.

Tagging Henry would cost 18M which is ridiculous and wont happen but I think he should be easy enough to resign

Henry's last contract averaged 12.5/YR. Franchising him means 120%. That's 15M. Not 18. I goofed. it is 18.. Thanks @Sciz

I still wouldn't do it because he's not worth that.

Last edited:
The first and most important way to fix the offense... find a QB.

WR's and weapons with no QB are like cars with no engines... useless.

Find a QB and LT in the first two rounds of the draft, then pepper the roster with "weapons" from the third round on.

In free agency… sign Onwenu, two of your three TE’s, Duggar if you can afford him, Uche as well… sign your own best players.

UCHE isn't one of the Pats best players. Jennings is better than Uche.

I'd rather seen other TEs than Henry, Gesicki and Brown..

Expert analysis Cousin, Well thought out.

The big thing is blocking scheme to me. We did not fair well when we went to Zone blocking in the past. By the way Onwenu is the first you sign.

Dugger is a nice weapon but we can't keep 4 Strong Safeties. I think Mapu is better suited for a LB. Get a real Free Safety. They like Bledsoe.

Do we want to put our chips in on the holy three QBs in the first three picks who has a documented 50%-50% chance to succeed, or do we reinforce our glaring holes with quality and add a FA or a later round QB pick? I am for the later.I am not a fanboy of Fields but at the second he is better than the holy three who have not taken an NFL snap. Ok , then spend a little more for Kirk Cousins and perhaps get a chance at the playoffs............ Yep resign Henry, Draft MHJ at pick #3 and shore up the OL and I think we have enough running game and defense to be a 9 or 10 wins Team with him. (I think the Vikes will resign him sadly). Mayfield goes back to Tampa and some want Brissett? Worse passing completion than Mac Jones.

DW Toys
This is going to be a 3 to 4 year rebuild to true contender status (and that's if every move made is both right and works).
Right on the money.
If the money isn't that much more, I'd swap out Henry for Fant.

Expert analysis Cousin, Well thought out.

The big thing is blocking scheme to me. We did not fair well when we went to Zone blocking in the past. By the way Onwenu is the first you sign.

Dugger is a nice weapon but we can't keep 4 Strong Safeties. I think Mapu is better suited for a LB. Get a real Free Safety. They like Bledsoe.

Do we want to put our chips in on the holy three QBs in the first three picks who has a documented 50%-50% chance to succeed, or do we reinforce our glaring holes with quality and add a FA or a later round QB pick? I am for the later.I am not a fanboy of Fields but at the second he is better than the holy three who have not taken an NFL snap. Ok , then spend a little more for Kirk Cousins and perhaps get a chance at the playoffs............ Yep resign Henry, Draft MHJ at pick #3 and shore up the OL and I think we have enough running game and defense to be a 9 or 10 wins Team with him. (I think the Vikes will resign him sadly). Mayfield goes back to Tampa and some want Brissett? Worse passing completion than Mac Jones.

DW Toys
Really interesting stuff from you and Hyped, toys. With 64-68 MM, this HAS to be a combo FA/draft coordinated build up. Lets start with the draft.

I'm pretty sure they will go QB in the first. They say its a 50-50 shot even with high QB drafts, but this one seems more like a 70-30 selection. If Williams is the #1, then who should we be rooting for at #3, Maye or Daniels. My first instinct was to root for us getting Daniels. He had the best single year as a QB in resent memory. The best deep passer and the most athletic AND is probably the guy who aces the combine. About the only 2 negatives I have on him is that one, of the 3 he is the most likely to need to sit a year to reach his maximum potential, and two, he's got the dreaded skinny legs syndrome. My biggest worry is his "availability".

The worries on Maye is that he had a better 2022 than 2023. But that being said, of the top 3 he is the guy who has done more with less over his college career. None of his WR's are going to be picked in the first 2 days of the draft. He is also the biggest and strongest of the 3 as well as being very athletic. He is also more first year ready than Daniels, I think.

I THINK he's the guy who is going to be there at #3. The hype on Daniels will grow at the combine and Washington will want him. Still the ultimate success of each QB will NOT be who can run the fastest or has the best arm. In the end it will always be about 3 things. Who can "process" the fastest. Who will continue to get better as his career goes one, and who is "available" for the vast majority of his games.

One the surface, that guy for me is Drake Maye.

So, if you pick a QB in the first how does the rest of first 3 picks go. Well that all depends on what you do in FA. I think we need to spend heavily on new FA's at the OT and WR positions. I want to resign Owenu, Duggar, and Bourne. Its important to the lockerrrom to resign your own guys. Duggar and Owenu will get market deals and Bourne be relatively cheap. In the first week of FA I'd like to see and OT like Fant or Smith signed as well as RIdley (if his head is on straight).

If we want to maximize Mac's trade value we will need to keep him with us this year, especially if the QB pick is Daniels. Let him compete in camp and see if we can get back to 2021 Mac. THEN ship him out at the trade deadline or at the end of the season. IF he gets his game back, he can become a solid back up with some value and you need good back ups as we saw last year.

The other thought is to cut bait with Mac, and bring in a Tannehill or Mariota to be the bridge guy for the rookie,

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft I think the best value would be at the WR and DB areas. Then look for steals on the OL 4-7. We found a good one in Sow last season. Imho, an OL of Fant/Smith, Strange, Andrews, Sow, and Owenu could be a stout starting 5

So to recap - grab an OT and WR in the first week of the draft. Resign Duggar, Owenu, Bourne, Brown. Then in the draft go QB, WR/TE, DB in the first 3 rounds of the draft and we have at least 4 impact players added to the squad.

So, Chukwuma Okorafor was released by the Steelers. I would definitely look at signing him NOW since he was cut and wouldn't count against the Comp Picks. He's a better LT than anything we have and he's only 26.

I wonder if the Pats looked at Jeremiah Moon who was waived by the Ravens and claimed by the Steelers. 6'5-250lb athletic Edge guy.

Really interesting stuff from you and Hyped, toys. With 64-68 MM, this HAS to be a combo FA/draft coordinated build up. Lets start with the draft.

I'm pretty sure they will go QB in the first. They say its a 50-50 shot even with high QB drafts, but this one seems more like a 70-30 selection. If Williams is the #1, then who should we be rooting for at #3, Maye or Daniels. My first instinct was to root for us getting Daniels. He had the best single year as a QB in resent memory. The best deep passer and the most athletic AND is probably the guy who aces the combine. About the only 2 negatives I have on him is that one, of the 3 he is the most likely to need to sit a year to reach his maximum potential, and two, he's got the dreaded skinny legs syndrome. My biggest worry is his "availability".

The worries on Maye is that he had a better 2022 than 2023. But that being said, of the top 3 he is the guy who has done more with less over his college career. None of his WR's are going to be picked in the first 2 days of the draft. He is also the biggest and strongest of the 3 as well as being very athletic. He is also more first year ready than Daniels, I think.

I THINK he's the guy who is going to be there at #3. The hype on Daniels will grow at the combine and Washington will want him. Still the ultimate success of each QB will NOT be who can run the fastest or has the best arm. In the end it will always be about 3 things. Who can "process" the fastest. Who will continue to get better as his career goes one, and who is "available" for the vast majority of his games.

So, if you pick a QB in the first how does the rest of first 3 picks go. Well that all depends on what you do in FA. I think we need to spend heavily on new FA's at the OT and WR positions. I want to resign Owenu, Duggar, and Bourne. Its important to the lockerrrom to resign your own guys. Duggar and Owenu will get market deals and Bourne be relatively cheap. In the first week of FA I'd like to see and OT like Fant or Smith signed as well as RIdley (if his head is on straight).

If we want to maximize Mac's trade value we will need to keep him with us this year, especially if the QB pick is Daniels. Let him compete in camp and see if we can get back to 2021 Mac. THEN ship him out at the trade deadline or at the end of the season. IF he gets his game back, he can become a solid back up with some value and you need good back ups as we saw last year.

The other thought is to cut bait with Mac, and bring in a Tannehill or Mariota to be the bridge guy for the rookie,

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft I think the best value would be at the WR and DB areas. Then look for steals on the OL 4-7. We found a good one in Sow last season. Imho, an OL of Fant/Smith, Strange, Andrews, Sow, and Owenu could be a stout starting 5

So to recap - grab an OT and WR in the first week of the draft. Resign Duggar, Owenu, Bourne, Brown. Then in the draft go QB, WR/TE, DB in the first 3 rounds of the draft and we have at least 4 impact players added to the squad.

Holy ****, it’s PatsfanKen. Hi Ken. How the hell are you? Great to see that your typing fingers are out of their casts.

The best way to maximize Mac Jones trade value is to legally change his name to Caleb Williams and hope no one notices.

I agree with you on overall draft strategy, but they could also get a starting OT by moving up into the 20’s in the first round and taking a guy like Tyler Guyton. The top end of this OT is the deepest I have ever seen. They could also go WR, but that class is also really deep, and there should be good prospects there on day 3, if they chose to use their 3rd to move up for an OT in the 1st. Or they could go QB at #3, OT at # 32, and WR with their .3rd, or move into the 2nd for a WR.

We wasted a lot of money in 2021 by trying to fix holes. I want to sign 1 or 2 élite players.
An edge like Josh Allen and maybe Snead at CB. Not giving Pittman 20m+. Evans ain’t coming here. There are no elite tackles available. We’re in a 3yr rebuild. Patience Grasshopper.

I would like to keep Onwenu and Dugger. I wouldn’t. But, we’re going to take a QB at 3. Probably makes sense to take a LT at 34. Or, move up a little.

This is going to be a 3 to 4 year rebuild to true contender status (and that's if every move made is both right and works).

If the money isn't that much more, I'd swap out Henry for Fant.

I never said anything about signing Henry or Fant.

I think they can get to contender status by 26’ if they make the right moves, but I would pass on big ticket items from this free agent class, and focus instead on re-signing defenders they want to keep as their core, and use free agency to build a strong middle tier of players, then use the Draft for critical players at QB, OT, and WR, and next year’s free agency for the bigger ticket players, as that way you get them when you are closer to contending. I don’t see the point in paying big money for a couple of years where they aren’t contenders. I would be building to try and get a WC spot in 25’, and contending from 26’ on.

The best way to maximize Mac Jones trade value is to legally change his name to Caleb Williams and hope no one notices.

I agree with you on overall draft strategy, but they could also get a starting OT by moving up into the 20’s in the first round and taking a guy like Tyler Guyton. The top end of this OT is the deepest I have ever seen. They could also go WR, but that class is also really deep, and there should be good prospects there on day 3, if they chose to use their 3rd to move up for an OT in the 1st. Or they could go QB at #3, OT at # 32, and WR with their .3rd, or move into the 2nd for a WR.
We would need to use our 2nd and 3rd to move up to about 23 or 24 to take our OT; the value is there.

It’s too bad this free agent class kind of sucks. Just about everyone you would want will be tagged.

Not gonna fault Kraft if they decide to go with low key signings this fa. No need to grossly overpay when someone else may be released in June. Will make them front runners for that players services with money in hand to scoop him up.

Kind of stuck paying Onwenu as the loss will set the oline back in your new QB’s first year.
I would argue it looks like it can be a very strong class on defense. Loads of pass rushers likely on the market, I do think we should add a piece there.

But offensively, I agree. Pretty low on options for most of our needs. Just hope a couple of the WR’s hit the market.

We would need to use our 2nd and 3rd to move up to about 23 or 24 to take our OT; the value is there.

Agree, they can get a reslly good OT or WR in the 20’s.Tyler Guyton, Troy Franklin e.g….

I never said anything about signing Henry or Fant.

I think they can get to contender status by 26’ if they make the right moves, but I would pass on big ticket items from this free agent class, and focus instead on re-signing defenders they want to keep as their core, and use free agency to build a strong middle tier of players, then use the Draft for critical players at QB, OT, and WR, and next year’s free agency for the bigger ticket players, as that way you get them when you are closer to contending. I don’t see the point in paying big money for a couple of years where they aren’t contenders. I would be building to try and get a WC spot in 25’, and contending from 26’ on.
The Texans taught everyone that it can be much faster than that if you truly hit at QB.

If Maye/Daniels comes here and plays OROY level good, is WC spot contention off the table? I’d argue our defense is already playoff caliber when healthy. Find one major weapon at WR, make sure the line is at least competent, and then the formula is there.

I would argue it looks like it can be a very strong class on defense. Loads of pass rushers likely on the market, I do think we should add a piece there.

But offensively, I agree. Pretty low on options for most of our needs. Just hope a couple of the WR’s hit the market.
I suspect that the only significant WR signing will be Bourne.

In any case, we are starting in a serious rebuild on Offense. We have no TE's, no OT's and no QB's. We can focus on WR's next year.

It is expensive to make a mistake on a $15M+ player. Next year, we will know our system better, and will be better able to choose WR's that fit in.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back