PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How should the Patriots use their cap $ in 2024 Free Agency?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the #1 free agency priority for the Patriots?

• Sign a RB (e.g. Derrick Henry, Saquon Barkley, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the focus in this forum right now is on the draft, but before that happens there is this little thing called free agency. How do you want the team to use their available $66 million?

What players should the Patriots retain, who should they let go? Which positions/players on other teams should they target.

Important Dates:
- Feb 20: Teams may designate Franchise or Transition Players.
- March 5: Deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
- March 11-13: Teams are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents.
- March 13: 2024 League Year and Free Agency signing period begins at 4:00 p.m.

Some resources on what free agents will be available. This will expand at some point with cap casualties.

This one from Spotrac is useful as you can filter by position, team, and more.

Some more comparisons on availble cap space.
Saints, Dolphins, Bills, Chargers, Broncos, Cowboys, Browns and Steelers are currently upside down.

Thoughts:

1.) Decisions, decisions, decisions....

2.) My priorities would depend on these factors:

- What kind of offensive scheme will Van Pelt run? West Coast? And by extension, what kind of OL blocking scheme will Scott Peterson want to install? If it is zone blocking, then we might want to pass on Onwenu. If not, we should then re-sign Onwenu.

- How much money to sign a starter in FA vs. drafting a starter? E.g. Why go after Kirk Cousins when we can just draft Jayden Daniels on a rookie deal?

- Positional availability in the draft. E.g. WR is supposed to be DEEP in this draft...so...maybe pass on the top tier FA WR's...re-sign Bourne...pass on MHJ...and draft a WR or two in rounds 2-4.

3.) So, with the caveat of the above factors possibly later shifting my priorities...I'll ASSUME these factors:

- We run a West Coast Zone Blocking Offense.
- We plan to draft either Daniels or Maye with pick #3 (meaning no OL/WR in the draft until rounds 2+).

My priorities would be this:

1.) Sign one of the top OT's in free agency to replace Trent Brown (who I assume we will let walk). That takes care of one tackle spot. And we can draft the other tackle in rounds 2+ and have him compete with whoever we tried out there last year before we moved Onwenu outside. The interior of the line should be OK with Sow manning RG, Andrews suiting up for another season, and Strange healing up to man the LG spot. Not ideal, but a different blocking scheme could help (we tried this with Patricia though).

2.) Resign our own free agents in Kendrick Bourne (who I think will come with a bit of an ACL/Hometown discount) Anfernee Jennings, Mack Wilson, Pharaoh Brown, and/or Hunter Henry. These guys should provide us with some value....hope none of them wants to break the bank.

3.) Sign our Dugger replacement. Doesn't have to be as good, but needs to be solid enough and doesn't break the bank.

4.) Dip into the DEEP FA defensive player market for upgrades all across the board so we can go offense heavy in the draft.

What teams need to free up cap, who could release or trade good WRs on the cheap?
That’s our target.

Right now Pittman is going to be a very rich man.

Onwenu is a great guard, a decent tackle...if he wants tackle money you have to let him go....plus we don't know the scheme fit yet.
OT is pretty bad in FA, two of the top 3 are our guys, plus one 33yro who has spent his entire career in Dallas
Making RB a priority doesn't make alot of sense
Top tier QB is just a bandaid that will either keep your rookie from starting if they are ready, or will win you some games you probably don't want to win.

These three make sense to me:
S, someone to replace Dugger? An actual middle of the field guy?
A TE, going to need something there
Mid QB to act as a bridge for the next season or two?

Most of the focus in this forum right now is on the draft, but before that happens there is this little thing called free agency. How do you want the team to use their available $66 million?

What players should the Patriots retain, who should they let go? Which positions/players on other teams should they target.

Important Dates:
- Feb 20: Teams may designate Franchise or Transition Players.
- March 5: Deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
- March 11-13: Teams are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents.
- March 13: 2024 League Year and Free Agency signing period begins at 4:00 p.m.

Some resources on what free agents will be available. This will expand at some point with cap casualties.

This one from Spotrac is useful as you can filter by position, team, and more.

Some more comparisons on availble cap space.
Saints, Dolphins, Bills, Chargers, Broncos, Cowboys, Browns and Steelers are currently upside down.

You need to offer ability to pick multiple choices for your poll to be meaningful. I for one, would pick most of your options.

Based on this, Cousins is the only FA QB we should consider. Since he probably won't be available, need to go for a bridge guy like Brissett and pick a QB w/ #3.

Based on this, Cousins is the only FA QB we should consider. Since he probably won't be available, need to go for a bridge guy like Brissett and pick a QB w/ #3.

How can I take this list seriously ? Would anyone here actually choose perennial loser Herbert over Burrows ? And IF Herbert were to actually be the 4th QB going into next season, doesn’t that say A LOT about the sad state of affairs ? I’d go Hurts ahead of him as well. As well as Love, Stroud, even lovable loser Prescott - at least he has a winning % career….

Holy cow. Murray “I need to sign a contract to limit my Nintendo screen time” from Arizona is #11 ?!?

How can I take this list seriously ? Would anyone here actually choose perennial loser Herbert over Burrows ? And IF Herbert were to actually be the 4th QB going into next season, doesn’t that say A LOT about the sad state of affairs ? I’d go Hurts ahead of him as well. As well as Love, Stroud, even lovable loser Prescott - at least he has a winning % career….

Holy cow. Murray “I need to sign a contract to limit my Nintendo screen time” from Arizona is #11 ?!?
Your hate of Herbert is well documented and acknowledged. Moving on.

When you don't have a QB and many needs, spending a lot of money on FA's is the not the way to go. With that said, they may make a big splash at a couple positions. My guess is T and OLB. WR contracts are just getting way too out of hand.

You need to offer ability to pick multiple choices for your poll to be meaningful. I for one, would pick most of your options.
I was actually going to do that at first, but then I felt as though I - like you - would just be clicking on nearly every option. I felt that might make the poll meaningless - so instead made it for just the highest priority.

But yeah, I agree - I'd like to see the Patriots take care of almost everything on that list.

Thoughts:

1.) Decisions, decisions, decisions....

2.) My priorities would depend on these factors:

- What kind of offensive scheme will Van Pelt run? West Coast? And by extension, what kind of OL blocking scheme will Scott Peterson want to install? If it is zone blocking, then we might want to pass on Onwenu. If not, we should then re-sign Onwenu.

- How much money to sign a starter in FA vs. drafting a starter? E.g. Why go after Kirk Cousins when we can just draft Jayden Daniels on a rookie deal?

- Positional availability in the draft. E.g. WR is supposed to be DEEP in this draft...so...maybe pass on the top tier FA WR's...re-sign Bourne...pass on MHJ...and draft a WR or two in rounds 2-4.

3.) So, with the caveat of the above factors possibly later shifting my priorities...I'll ASSUME these factors:

- We run a West Coast Zone Blocking Offense.
- We plan to draft either Daniels or Maye with pick #3 (meaning no OL/WR in the draft until rounds 2+).

My priorities would be this:

1.) Sign one of the top OT's in free agency to replace Trent Brown (who I assume we will let walk). That takes care of one tackle spot. And we can draft the other tackle in rounds 2+ and have him compete with whoever we tried out there last year before we moved Onwenu outside. The interior of the line should be OK with Sow manning RG, Andrews suiting up for another season, and Strange healing up to man the LG spot. Not ideal, but a different blocking scheme could help (we tried this with Patricia though).

2.) Resign our own free agents in Kendrick Bourne (who I think will come with a bit of an ACL/Hometown discount) Anfernee Jennings, Mack Wilson, Pharaoh Brown, and/or Hunter Henry. These guys should provide us with some value....hope none of them wants to break the bank.

3.) Sign our Dugger replacement. Doesn't have to be as good, but needs to be solid enough and doesn't break the bank.

4.) Dip into the DEEP FA defensive player market for upgrades all across the board so we can go offense heavy in the draft.
Excellent post, thanks for the deep analysis.

From the positions in the poll, I would begin by eliminating top tier QB and top tier RB. I would make those the last priorities and go with a 2nd tier player at each position.

I really like the idea of getting one starting caliber OT in FA (could be Onwenu, could be someone else), and another early in the draft. Unfortunately that will be expensive.

While a top tier WR sounds nice at first glance, as @TheRainMaker mentioned the top WRs won't be cheap. Even though the Pats have plenty of cap space available, with so many positions of need they will likely use that up relatively quickly. That may not be a realistic option.

And with some many positions in need of either an upgrade or re-signing, the Patriots will have to do something substantial in free agency. In the past we fans for a splash (expensive) player to put us over the top. But with this many areas of need, it may be worth considering a bit less money per FA, so that more positions can be adressed.

Another giant smenza light house to create feng shui balance.......also with a tiny bell

The worst one is Trevor Lawrence over Burrow. Good lord. What was this person on when they wrote this?

What teams need to free up cap, who could release or trade good WRs on the cheap?
That’s our target.

Right now Pittman is going to be a very rich man.
Chargers (Keenan Allen, Mike Williams)

Titans (Hopkins)

Onwenu is a great guard, a decent tackle...if he wants tackle money you have to let him go....plus we don't know the scheme fit yet.
OT is pretty bad in FA, two of the top 3 are our guys, plus one 33yro who has spent his entire career in Dallas
Your second point kinda negates the first point. Good luck finding a decent young OT elsewhere, unless you spend the #3 pick on a tackle.

I'd rather overpay him than have no one to block for the new QB.

I'd start by re-signing Dugger and going after a very good edge rusher. Make sure the D does not drop off because we are going to need it.

Are there any really good pass catching backs to compliment Rham. Again we are going to need to rely on our RBs.

I want QB at 3 so we need to do everything we can to make it easier.

We also need to invest in the OL but from what I read that might not be as easy not much out there. Maybe have to do a trade. And definitely draft a tackle in Rd 2 or 3.

Your second point kinda negates the first point. Good luck finding a decent young OT elsewhere, unless you spend the #3 pick on a tackle.

I'd rather overpay him than have no one to block for the new QB.

My second point is based on others rankings not mine or the teams, rumors say that don't want to pay Mike, maybe because they see him as a Guard....just guessing.

I'm in on spending #3 (or changing it into #6 and change) on a LT....and I'd happily spend our 3rd rounder or better on a RT.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back