PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How rigged is the NBA

The way the Pacers played that game fell right into Miami's hands. Why they were taking so many outside shots when the Pacers have a clear inside advantage with Hibbert and West is beyond stupid.

The Pacers played that like a college team.

Whenever Hibbert touched the ball, there were anywhere from 2-3 bodies on him. That's why.

Whenever Hibbert touched the ball, there were anywhere from 2-3 bodies on him. That's why.
When you're 7'2 and 118 kilograms, you still have a clear advantage to do what you want with the ball in the paint, especially when you're being defended by guys predominately around the 6'9 mark.

Last edited:
When you're 7'2 and 118 kilograms, you still have a clear advantage to do what you want with the ball in the paint, especially when you're being defended by guys predominately around the 6'9 mark.

Tell that to Joakim Noah last year. And Dwight Howard at any time in which the Heat played him. The Heat switched their strategy and focused on locking Hibbert down at the expense of possibly allowing open jumpers. Indiana could not knock them down, Miami couldn't miss. The result was a blowout that can either reignite the Pacers or break their backs. We'll see what kind of team they are in Indy.

It's cool that Scalls is such a C's homer on the Comcast pregame.. :D He should come back on our team as a bench guy and play till he's 50 with the sole purpose of getting the crowd fired up.

I have no issue with the moving screen that KG applied being called as a foul. It was a foul and was judged accordingly.

I have one problem with NBA officiating. It is never balanced and lacks consistency. That was obvious when the referees brought the Lakers right back into the contest in 09-10 Finals against the Celtics. The Celtics couldn't touch the ostrich-face or Kobe without committing a foul yet were routinely mugged by the Lakers with no whistle in sight.

It's funny you mentioned that game as I watched it with a co-worker that is actually from boston and we were both livid with the officiating. Nobody will argue that the NBA refs are consistent. Just as MLB umps each have their own strike zone.

Here is a stat since the big three(Miami) have been together not one of them has fouled out of a game.

But that shouldn't be a surprise, in the NBA all superstars get preferential treatment.

Tell that to Joakim Noah last year. And Dwight Howard at any time in which the Heat played him. The Heat switched their strategy and focused on locking Hibbert down at the expense of possibly allowing open jumpers. Indiana could not knock them down, Miami couldn't miss. The result was a blowout that can either reignite the Pacers or break their backs. We'll see what kind of team they are in Indy.

The thing Miami fans should caution themselves with is they won the series based on back to back historic performances by 2 guys. That will not work against the spurs or thunder being as deep as they are. Hell even the sixers will not allow Wade/Bron to get 70 points on back to back games. I don't think the sixers can win the series but they won't allow Miami to beat them with 2 players to such an extreme. Sixers were the #1 for opposing PPG during the season and that's without a 7'2 Center.

Both the C's and 76ers are better defensive teams than indy. Paul George's D on LBJ was pathetic at times in that series.

The thing Miami fans should caution themselves with is they won the series based on back to back historic performances by 2 guys. That will not work against the spurs or thunder being as deep as they are. Hell even the sixers will not allow Wade/Bron to get 70 points on back to back games. I don't think the sixers can win the series but they won't allow Miami to beat them with 2 players to such an extreme. Sixers were the #1 for opposing PPG during the season and that's without a 7'2 Center.

Both the C's and 76ers are better defensive teams than indy. Paul George's D on LBJ was pathetic at times in that series.

Is that why the Pacers were the 3 seed and the Sixers were the 8 seed?

Is that why the Pacers were the 3 seed and the Sixers were the 8 seed?
Indy was the fourth highest scorer in the East and utilized their inside size advantage for most of the season. That's why they were the 3 seed.

Against Miami, for one reason or another they got away from it. Must have driven a basketball purist and historian like Bird nuts.

Indy was the fourth highest scorer in the East and utilized their inside size advantage for most of the season. That's why they were the 3 seed.

Against Miami, for one reason or another they got away from it. Must have driven a basketball purist and historian like Bird nuts.

They got away from it because because Miami made a point to take Hibbert out of the game after Game 3 and live with what Indiana got from the outside. Anybody watching the series could see that.

Last edited:
They got away from it because because Miami made a point to take Hibbert out of the game after Game 3 and live with what Indiana got from the outside. Anybody watching the series could see that.
Not from what I observed. What I saw were Hibbert and West dominant in the paint when the Pacers' guards weren't jacking up outside shots like the basketball was a hot potato. There was one game where West couldn't have hit the side of a barnyard with his shooting, other than that Hibbert and West owned the paint.

Either way, it doesn't matter as LeBron and Wade heated up offensively for the Heat. That was some impressive basketball.

Last edited:
Ref already in favor for Miami tonight..what a surprise

can ray allan just make his free throws. geez:rolleyes:

Hasn't taken long for the whistles to come out. Pathetic.

oh.my.god

These refs...no way Cs win this series..no way. Refs do not want it..you can just see it

Pathetic excuse for a league

Cs should be up by 6 right now...thanks to the refs they are down

another game given to miami by the refs

This thread is a joke right?

A joke? I wish. But considering the NBA employed a ref who was busted for fixing games and betting on them (Donaghy), continues to employ his accomplice (Scott Foster), and continues to employ a man who was guilty of tax evasion (Mauer) - the NBA opens itself up for this kind of debate.

Most companies avoid the appearance of impropriety like a plague. The NBA, however, and David Stern specifically - embrace it with defiance. There's only one reason why Stern would continue to employ a group of refs who are not only terrible at their jobs, but are sketchy, amoral individuals - and that's that he likes the results he sees.

I do not believe the NBA is rigged. I do believe the refs try to take control of games for whatever individual reasons and have their own biases. And I think Stern knows this and likes this.

I really hate to say it, but it's honestly the only conclusion an objective person can come to looking at the facts presented to us. NBA fans try to act above it. But Stern perpetuates this by continuing to roll out these referees. There is something extremely unsettling about the culture of the NBA refs. Every inside look we have shows a group of bad apples. It's only a matter of time before it all blows up. Stern kept the lid on the Donaghy stuff and swept the Foster connection under the rug. At some point, more will come out.

I just can't wait for another friggin commissioner. I don't know how long we'll have to wait.

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back