PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many potential dynasties have the Patriots ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Seattle had a chance to be the next Team of the Decade (following the Packers, Steelers, Niners, Cowboys, Pats...there's always been a clear winner). Young, cheap core, budding franchise QB, great defense. One Super Bowl in the books.

As that recent article mentions, we tore their hearts out. That Super Bowl might have been the most important one ever in terms of NFL narrative. Brady finally wins his fourth, Seahawks miss their chance to go back to back against Pink Head and Brady, etc.

Now it looks like there's a very good chance that the next Team of the Decade will be the same as the previous one. That's pretty ridiculous.

sleeper pick...San Diego of the mid 00's

got so much in their heads with beating them in back 2 back years in the playoffs.

but that team was a wagon and really should've won at least 1 ring

Tomlinson
Gates
Rivers
Turner
Neal
Vincent Jackson
Keenan McCardell

the defense was no slouch with Jammer, Cromartie, Edwards, Merriman, Florence, Jamal Williams, Castillo.

looking them up now, forgot how incredible Tomlinson's 06 season was

1815 yds, 28 td on the ground
53 rec, 508 yds, 3 td in the air

2300 total yds and 31 td

I've said the same for years now. Those SD teams were so talented.

Didn't they have LT, Turner and Sproles at one point?

J-Will was a really good player at Wilforks level for a few years.

That playoff game killed them.

i disagree. defense couldnt get off the field in 2007 super bowl. if i remember correctly, our offense didnt get on the field until some point after the midway point of first quarter

Super 42 Drive chart/Game summary:
http://www.nflgsis.com/2007/post/04/29526/gamebook.pdf

The time of position was pretty evenly split: But the Giants did dominate the TOP in the first half.

upload_2017-6-1_20-55-58.png

As far as drives go the Giants D pressured Brady pretty much the whole game.

SB 42 Drive chart.
upload_2017-6-1_20-55-1.png

Definitely Rams and Seattle.

During the whole week of Super Bowl XLIX, I kept hearing the same thing: "Russell Wilson is the future. He already beat Peyton. When he beats Brady, the torch will have officially been passed."

Jets - The path seemed clear for the Jets to run the AFCE for the better part of a decade. The Patriots flipped that script.

Raiders - If the tuck rule didn't happen, could the Raiders have upset the Rams, and could they have ridden that momentum into a repeat in 2002? Maybe

Steelers - Stopped at home in the AFCC game twice and probably would have beaten the Eagles. The 00's Steelers would have been considered a borderline dynasty just for their achievements from 2004 - 2010 but are instead overshadowed by the Patriots.

Colts - Not so much. The Patriots were not the only Indy kryptonite. The Chargers played as big a role in preventing a Colts dynasty as the Pats did. Plus, the Brady vs. Manning narrative moved on to Denver.

Rams - Undoubtedly. Ricky Prohel made sure of that.

Seakawks - Too early to tell. If they won SB49, I'm not convinced they'd win either of the next two. I'm not convinced of the Super Bowl dysfunction stories, I just think the team has lost some talent, drafted badly a few years, and is stuck in the same borderline contender status as the 2009 - 2013 Patriots. They very well could have another title in them.

It aint over yet, let's add a couple more teams to the list. Might be able to add Seattle to that (if it wasn't for the breakdown after SB 49)

Jets - The path seemed clear for the Jets to run the AFCE for the better part of a decade. The Patriots flipped that script.

Raiders - If the tuck rule didn't happen, could the Raiders have upset the Rams, and could they have ridden that momentum into a repeat in 2002? Maybe

Steelers - Stopped at home in the AFCC game twice and probably would have beaten the Eagles. The 00's Steelers would have been considered a borderline dynasty just for their achievements from 2004 - 2010 but are instead overshadowed by the Patriots.

Colts - Not so much. The Patriots were not the only Indy kryptonite. The Chargers played as big a role in preventing a Colts dynasty as the Pats did. Plus, the Brady vs. Manning narrative moved on to Denver.

Rams - Undoubtedly. Ricky Prohel made sure of that.

Seakawks - Too early to tell. If they won SB49, I'm not convinced they'd win either of the next two. I'm not convinced of the Super Bowl dysfunction stories, I just think the team has lost some talent, drafted badly a few years, and is stuck in the same borderline contender status as the 2009 - 2013 Patriots. They very well could have another title in them.

I like the post but I wouldn't say "not so much" for the Colts. The Pats have booted them from the playoffs 5 times since 2000 and twice in championship games.

Im going to go with 0 actually. But Seattle and St. Louis would've been on there way with a second win. But I believe a dynasty is 3 championships at the minimum. I think a Super Bowl loss can hurt a team, a lot, so who knows what would've happen. But they did potentially ruin two, but there's no guarantee they did. I don't think Pitt wouldve beaten philly in 04. Maybe they ruined some colts dynasties, but I'm not too sure about that either. The ravens might've won it all in 2011 but I can't see them winning in 2014. I can't really say they ruined any but they definitely stopped the possibility of rams and Seahawks in there tracks

I think it was the Super Bowl blowout loss the next year that destroyed the franchise

The 01 Divisional Playoff game shot out the knees of the Raiders franchise. The Super Bowl just finished the job.

our own, when Berry benched Flutie in '88, then released him in '89.

Doug went on to have his best years north of the border, winning MVP's and titles while the Patriots kept losing. Maybe if Kiam had hired Jack Bicknell to replace Berry...

The Rats for sure.

Implied in all of their bluster is if the Pats hadn't cheated, the Rats would have had the dynasty.

:rolleyes:
Kraft should hang a banner of Belichick on the tower for the entire season, and retract his stupid apology from 4/1/08.

There was no more substance in the '07 witchhunt than the '15 one; people just rallied behind Tom whereas they assumed Bill really did something wrong.

Granted, Belichick was very diplomatic about the whole thing. That's his style.

"Hey, I'm not going to argue with the Commissioner of the league..."

Doesn't make him guilty. Or arrogant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents