PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How important is Brady's career TD record to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let me start by saying this isn't an either/or. I'm not asking if you'd RATHER see Brady break the career regular season TD record by sacrificing something team related. I don't believe in superstitions about yardage, TDs, etc. and curses having to do with winning after achieving them. So obviously WINNING is always #1 for Patriots fans, and nothing can compare to winning playoff games and championships. Secondly, this is clearly a record made to be broken. The career yardage and career TD marks typically stand for roughly 5-10 years. In the modern era, Marino held the record for 12 years before being passed by Favre, who held it for 7 years, before Manning, who has held it for five years.

So as a pure standalone achievement, are you rooting for Brady to break the record and outlast Brees? And if so, how important is it to you? We are so lucky/spoiled with the Patriots that we can see this record as somewhat of a cherry on top of a cherry.

For me, I'd really like to see Brady own this record. In fact, if he owned the TD and passing yards records he would then have:

-Most Super Bowl TDs
-Most Super Bowl passing yards
-Most Postseason TDs
-Most Postseason passing yards
-Most Regular Season TDs
-Most Regular Season passing yards

To retire with that line would be remarkable.

In addition, I would like to see it happen because of the constantly false narrative that Manning was a better regular season QB than Brady. This isn't true in any way, as Brady has been better than Manning in regular season, postseaon, and Super Bowl. Back in the early 2000s we had to listen incessantly about The King of volume statistics.

In addition, Brees has so obviously tried to break this record for his whole career with so many garbage time TDs. Manning and Brees also played in domes and in South divisions (warm weather) for their entire careers.

Also, who do you think retires with more volume TDs and passing yards? Brady or Brees?

We've been living as good as any fan in any sport can these last few years.

It's all just gravy at this point. The media, other coaches, other fans already know TFB is the greatest. Until there's a serious challenger with wins/post season success, it's not even a debate anymore. Scandals (ok, fake scandals) hardly get airtime anymore, ...

(for me - other may feel differently) Just sit back, appreciate it all in real time, and look backwards when he retires.

It’s kind of a cool little fact but not a real big deal.

The way they are changing the rules all the passing records will end up getting crushed.
Winning transcends eras.

Not much.

The pass TD count is just the last play of a successful drive.

For example, in a clutch, tough winning drive in a super bowl, the QB could make six critical third-and-long conversions to some underpaid WR and then still have the third string RB run it in the last three yards for the TD and it doesn't count beans towards the TD metric.

I think it depends on who can go longer and stay healthier. Brees is currently up 3 TDs and just under 4,000 yards passing. Brady pretty much just needs to play one year longer of healthy football to pass him. Brady has also gained almost 600 yards and 8 TDs combined the past two years. Brees unfairly gain an estimate of 1200 yards and 10 TDs because of the bogus suspension. Last but not least when you do the combined regular season plus post season it's not even close for yards or TDs.

I'm with @SBLIII.

No one knocks Jordan or Bill Russell for not having all the personal statistical records in their sports. They are seen for what they are, the greatest champions in American professional team sports.

TB12 in that discussion is fine by me.

tbh, i don't care about those stats. These are the only stats that matter:

Winning Percentage, Regular Season/Post Season
  • .775 / .750 Brady
  • .600 / .533 Brees
  • .702 / .519 Manning
  • .713 / .696 Montana
  • .636 / .563 Rodgers
Winning says it all. The rest just pale in comparison. The NFL has never seen such dominance in regular season & post season play.

Don't really care much about passing Brees, just hope both pass Peyton because it'll bother him so much (as much as he will pretend to be happy for them).

Zero.

All I care about is championships.

Could not care less about any records, stats and any of the HoF / legacy jazz. For any player or coach.

The Super Bowl and Postseason records will stand the test of time and IMO never be broken. The regular season records will be broken many times over. I generally don't care much about records but those SB and Postseason records are "disgustingly SICK!" and I'm glad they will be part of Brady's legacy.

Don’t care. Wins, winning%, playoff wins, and rings are all that matter to me. Over 200. Wins ( regular season) 6 rings, and 30 playoff wins were the marks I was hoping he would reach, and he’s done them all. I am however looking forward to #7, more rings than any franchise would be unreal.

It’s kind of a cool little fact but not a real big deal.

The way they are changing the rules all the passing records will end up getting crushed.
Winning transcends eras.

This. It's nice, but in the end, not important.

Don't care about the total regular season TDs...people will just point out the number of games played and break it down to TD/per game.

I do hope that Brady has one more shot at a 50+ TD season....I'd like to see him hit 56...

Marino threw 48 in '84, Manning threw 49 in '03, Brady threw 50 in '07, Manning threw 55 in '13, and now Mahomes threw 50 in '18. It took 19 years, 4 years, and 6 years to break the record.

I guess I'm in the minority, I would be really happy if he broke the TD record.

I mean, I'd obviously rather have another title (I know you said it's not an either-or question but just throwing it in there for context). But, I think it'd be really cool for Brady to be on top of that list. He's the GOAT and it's fitting for him to have that record, especially playing outside in the Northeast and with generally average talent around him.

I was a baseball fan before football (i.e. the ages of 8-11 or so) and I spent a probably unhealthy amount of time looking at baseball numbers and record books. I can still tell you all the members of the 500 HR club up until the mid-90s when it got more diluted. So that might influence how I view it; the TD record is analogous to the career HR leader (before Bonds broke it and sort of removed the mystique).

I'd also be interested how Brady handles breaking the record. My guess is that they won't stop the game to have a ceremony (LOL) like Pink Head did and Brees probably will. Instead he'll give all the credit to his teammates and make a joke about how old he is. That will be a nice contrast.

Also, if he does break it, it won't stay long. Passing TD numbers are up, Mahomes or someone could easily break it barring injury.

Just win baby!

That being said, I'm a stats whore, so yeah I'd like to see Brady own ALL records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back