PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How important is a #1 Target in today's NFL?

Tua already has 43% of his TD production from 2021 in WEEK 2! Watching the highlights of yesterdays game, having guys that can break one is what Mac really needs. Tua has a weak arm, but those WR's/TE makes a huge difference.

The offense needs more big plays.

It’s why they drafted Thornton, and my hope is that when he is back, and Bourne is playing much more they will have a much more explosive offense.

Tia is having a better season so far this season, however Jones outplayed him last season.
Where?

Both QBs had the same winning % and completion %,
Tua 2 - 0 vs Jones
Jones TD % 4 .2
Tua TD % 4.1
Jones INT % 2.5
Tua INT % 2.6
Jones game win drive - 1
Tua game win drive - 2
Jones 1 rush TD
Tua 3 rushing TDs.

2 peas in a pod.

It’s why they drafted Thornton, and my hope is that when he is back, and Bourne is playing much more they will have a much more explosive offense.
Explosive like Thornton was in preseason?

It's always been important... the 2000s Patriots and 2010 patriots were an anomaly. A good portion of super bowl winning teams or even really good playoff times that made it far had a good receivers

• Rams have Cooper Kupp
  • 2000s Colts had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne
  • 2000s Steelers had Hines Ward
  • 3 of the 5 49ers rings had Jerry Rice
  • The 90s Cowboys had Michael Irvin
  • 70s steelers had Lynn Swann and John Stallworth
  • 90s Broncos had Rod Smith and Ed McCafrey
  • 70s Cowboys had Drew Pearson

They don’t have a Chase, Hill, or Waddle, but they can still have a much better offense this season than they have had in years if they can put it all together. Step # 1 is the OL, and they improved dramatically from weeks 1-2., but are still going to face serious challenges throughout the season. Step # 2 is the running game, and although it looks solid right now they have plenty of room for improvement, especially integrating Stephenson and Strong into the passing game. Step # 3 is to develop both the outside and downfield passing game by hitting
Explosive like Thornton was in preseason?

Your ability to consistently outdo your previous stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

They don’t have a Chase, Hill, or Waddle, but they can still have a much better offense this season than they have had in years if they can put it all together. Step # 1 is the OL, and they improved dramatically from weeks 1-2., but are still going to face serious challenges throughout the season. Step # 2 is the running game, and although it looks solid right now they have plenty of room for improvement, especially integrating Stephenson and Strong into the passing game. Step # 3 is to develop both the outside and downfield passing game by hitting

Your ability to consistently outdo your previous stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
Lying and spreading fake news wont solve a thing.

You appear like Brandon.

I say good for him Meyers is definitely proving me wrong. I remember when Edelman was barely running his routes to the sticks and look how he turned out in time. Meyers has really added suddenness to his routes he's becoming a very good possession Receiver in the mold of Anquan Bolden.
I don't think he's really proven you wrong, per se, until he shows he can break a long touchdown run. Heck even getting his first reception 40 yds or longer in his career would be a start (longest currently at 39). Given how he keeps improving, it'll probably come barring injury, but hopefully we'll get to see it before he leaves. Boldin, despite his "slowness," was able to rip off a lot of long receptions.

Lying and spreading fake news wont solve a thing.

You appear like Brandon.

Nothing fake about your stupidity Q, it’s glaringly obvious.

My opinion on Meyers:

He is holding the team together, not holding them down.

If we truly were a "throw to who is open", wether we like it or not, it's him who shows up constantly. And he keeps improving. You literally can't ask for more.

He is not going to wow you, but in a superinflated market, if we can get Meyers on the cheap for a long-ish run, in the same mold as Bourne even, im all in (for now), specially bc he doesn't seem to be the kind of player who would become disgruntled, like the former

Better way of thinking is: How would Mac's plays and numbers would be if what has been his biggest security blanket in his career so far was taken? I don't think it's a good answer

The Next-Man-Up approach has been BB's cornerstone for his entire tenure here. IT works - pay a little less for Tier I, and apply those savings to the Tier II guys. Make it less of a drop-off of talent when they have to step in. Production in the aggregate is there - and that's what matters.

When you have three or four receivers that compliment each other, but none is that prototypical #1, then your QB's favorite target becomes the best one - the guy that is open.

2001/03/05 ... No superstar #1 receivers. TB's favorite receiver? "The one that's open".
Cost-effective-ness of each position has changed a lot recently. I kinda explain what i mean in answer to Fern. But, gotta reinforce the obvious a bit... This ain't two decades ago, nor is Tb here
For me it’s about putting pressure on the defence. We don’t have anyone that does that. Maybe Thornton will become that type of player but who knows.

I was listening to Zo last week and what is happening is we are seeing teams go tight man, single high safety, and bringing the other one down. They do not respect our ability to threaten the 2nd level and if we can’t separate its putting pressure on Mac to make tight throws.
This feels last season. I see Mac trying to go downfield more, which is precisely the answer for this. Parker being in more often than Bourne also is an indication, of sorts. I am agreeing with you tho, it is a necessity more now
QB contracts are gonna come down after what we have seen with dak. You are not gonna get paid unless you are a mahomes, Brady, Allen or Rodgers. The lil bit of savings from reduced QB contract would be used to get a WR 1 who can complement the QB.

Teams would need wr1 if QB cannot elevate play . What we are seeing happening with mahomes is phenomenal . And the draft is going to provide so much of wr talent that I believe first 2 rounds will be dedicated in a large percentage basis to WRs.
Hard disagree on the bolded. I think this train is not stopping anytime soon, with Lamar once again re-setting the market in somewhay next year. then I agree.
It's always been important... the 2000s Patriots and 2010 patriots were an anomaly. A good portion of super bowl winning teams or even really good playoff times that made it far had a good receivers

• Rams have Cooper Kupp
  • 2000s Colts had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne
  • 2000s Steelers had Hines Ward
  • 3 of the 5 49ers rings had Jerry Rice
  • The 90s Cowboys had Michael Irvin
  • 70s steelers had Lynn Swann and John Stallworth
  • 90s Broncos had Rod Smith and Ed McCafrey
  • 70s Cowboys had Drew Pearson
the game change way too much recently, thus my change of heart on the matter
Against the Pats the Dolphins passed for 240 yards and only scored a TD on a fluke broken coverage.

Last year the Ravens ranked 32nd in passing yards allowed, remind me again how many teams are in the NFL?
32. You are welcome

Unless you're uniquely talented like Patrick Mahomes having a true WR1 is huge.
Look at Kupp for the Rams... MVP of that offense for sure.
Look at what Chase has done for Burrow who suddenly looked like a brilliant quarterback last season.
Look at what Hill has done for Tua so far this season.
Look at Diggs in Buffalo.

The Patriots receiving corps has good depth but no WR1. It'll hold their offense back some for sure. Too me Mac looks like a quarterback who'll need a legit WR1 to get to that next level... he's just not as talented as the top tier quarterbacks in the NFL (and many of those quarterbacks do have an WR1).
Mahomes had Hill and Kelce, that’s 2 number ones, and still has Kelce.

My opinion on Meyers:

He is holding the team together, not holding them down.

If we truly were a "throw to who is open", wether we like it or not, it's him who shows up constantly. And he keeps improving. You literally can't ask for more.

He is not going to wow you, but in a superinflated market, if we can get Meyers on the cheap for a long-ish run, in the same mold as Bourne even, im all in (for now), specially bc he doesn't seem to be the kind of player who would become disgruntled, like the former

Better way of thinking is: How would Mac's plays and numbers would be if what has been his biggest security blanket in his career so far was taken? I don't think it's a good answer
So you are saying no number 1 and no possession receiver?

You can win without a true No1, but you rely on better game planning and QB making smart reads, accurate throws and a lot of 6 yard dink & dunk patience.

If you have a Hill or Diggs they probably get you an extra 10 plus points per game just from individual talent.
Also means you can make fast comebacks. Way more exciting having an elite gamebreaker too - which is main reason we all want Thornton to be that guy.

There is more than one way to skin a cat in the NFL. Things like this are a thing until someone does it differently. #1 WRs are fine until it comes time to pay them - then they are much more problematic. Put $55 million annually into a QB/WR combo, and you might win a SB, but probably not a lot of them.

There is more than one way to skin a cat in the NFL. Things like this are a thing until someone does it differently. #1 WRs are fine until it comes time to pay them - then they are much more problematic. Put $55 million annually into a QB/WR combo, and you might win a SB, but probably not a lot of them.

Brady broke all your brains. Winning a Super Bowl in a career is amazing and legacy defining even if it’s “only” one. Good god.

Also the cap is fake pay whoever you want until your players age out and go through maybe one reset year.

I would take a Stephon Diggs right about now

Brady broke all your brains. Winning a Super Bowl in a career is amazing and legacy defining even if it’s “only” one. Good god.

Also the cap is fake pay whoever you want until your players age out and go through maybe one reset year.
Why are elite players like Hill and Adams jettisoned? You pay the QB … every other position is a search for value. Building to win a SB in one year is likely to lose - too many bad things happen in a given year. But build a team to compete every year and your chances of striking gold increase.

No we can’t risk CAP JAIL fool
Why are we in CAP jail? Who is all of our money going to when we have no pro bowl talent on the offensive side of the ball?

You mean those outrageous contracts to mediocre TEs? (After we just drafted two TEs busts in third round who are no longer on the team?)

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back