PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How important is a #1 Target in today's NFL?

Tua gets a lot of crap from a lot of NFL fans but him and Mac are basically the same QB but Tua just has better players around him. Both have a pretty weak arm by NFL starting quarterback standards, both are relatively accurate, and neither is going to make many "wow"plays.

I think it's great to have a true #1 but I'm more interested in production from various formations and personnel. I think when you have variation and balance, its much tougher to prepare for that type of team and when your matchup isn't ideal, you have more options.

I think this offense has plenty of skilled receivers and backs but the key to their success is always going to be the play of the Oline.

Tua gets a lot of crap from a lot of NFL fans but him and Mac are basically the same QB but Tua just has better players around him. Both have a pretty weak arm by NFL starting quarterback standards, both are relatively accurate, and neither is going to make many "wow"plays.
Boy T Thornton is going to suffer if that's the case hope he's good running after the catch like Hill and Waddle.

I think it's great to have a true #1 but I'm more interested in production from various formations and personnel. I think when you have variation and balance, its much tougher to prepare for that type of team and when your matchup isn't ideal, you have more options.

I think this offense has plenty of skilled receivers and backs but the key to their success is always going to be the play of the Oline.
And game manager QB.

He gave 5 examples, but that list was by no means comprehensive. It is not cherry picking to look at the final 8 teams in last year's playoffs. They all had a dominant #1 WR:

Rams = Kupp
Bengals = Chase
Titans = AJ Brown
Bucs = Godwin
Chiefs = Hill
Packers = Adams
49ers = Deebo
Bills = Diggs
Look at the teams that win in the playoffs, they’re very good in every position group, often having a superstar in each group and in all three phases.

It’s good to have good players, it doesn’t make one position group more important than another. They’re all important.

You need one. It doesn't have to be a top 10 WR, but a player who will get you a must have it play more often than not. I don't know if the Pats have one yet

A #1 is critical In my opinion. There aren't many QBs who can operate without a true #1, because there will be games when the chips are down and you need studs to make plays.

Just take a look at last year's playoffs:

Rams = Kupp
Bengals = Chase
Packers = Adams
49ers = Deebo
Bills = Diggs

At different points of the playoffs, when their respective teams couldn't do much - these guys put their teams on their backs and made play after play, in critical moments.

Sure on an excel spreadsheet you can play around with numbers and show : "hey if your wrs are x,y,z you could get the same production over the course of 17 games than if you had just wr1!" That excel spread sheet will not capture when it's 3rd and long with the season in the balance - when you need a big boy play...the fact that the "alpha" wr gives you a distinct advantage.

I used to subscribe to the "power in numbers" when it came to receiving targets , mainly because I was exposed to Brady's early years (best wr is the open one). However ask yourself.....how successful is Brady without Gronk or Edelman his later years? Without his go to...gotta have it guy?

Good post.
I think citing Edelman makes the opposite point, as he was never considered a marquee player by anyone who didn’t root for the Pats.

You need one. It doesn't have to be a top 10 WR, but a player who will get you a must have it play more often than not. I don't know if the Pats have one yet
Yeah look at WR Diontae Johnson we all knew the Steelers QB situation with Mitch Turb would hold him back.

Im Not No Way GIF

This is what they always had and yes the loss of White really hurts here. We need the 3rd and 7 guy who is tried and true. Typically a slot receiver like Brown, Welker or Edelman, or a 3rd down back like Faulk, Vareen, Lewis or White

This is what they always had and yes the loss of White really hurts here. We need the 3rd and 7 guy who is tried and true. Typically a slot receiver like Brown, Welker or Edelman, or a 3rd down back like Faulk, Vareen, Lewis or White
Yes sir. Meyers has been solid to start the season, but I'm not sure about him moving forward. Hopefully he proves me wrong

Unless you're uniquely talented like Patrick Mahomes having a true WR1 is huge.
Look at Kupp for the Rams... MVP of that offense for sure.
Look at what Chase has done for Burrow who suddenly looked like a brilliant quarterback last season.
Look at what Hill has done for Tua so far this season.
Look at Diggs in Buffalo.

The Patriots receiving corps has good depth but no WR1. It'll hold their offense back some for sure. Too me Mac looks like a quarterback who'll need a legit WR1 to get to that next level... he's just not as talented as the top tier quarterbacks in the NFL (and many of those quarterbacks do have an WR1).

Yes sir. Meyers has been solid to start the season, but I'm not sure about him moving forward. Hopefully he proves me wrong
Currently, Meyers is leading the league all by himself on 3rd down catches for a 1st down. I know I've said this before, but last year, he was tied for third in 1st down catches on 3rd and <3 (only Cooks and Kupp were higher), and tied for tenth for 1st down catches on 3rd down overall (Jefferson, Hill, Kupp, Allen, Cooks, Adams, Waddle, Diggs, and Evans were the only ones higher per stats.com).

It doesn't matter whether or not we think he's the guy going forward past this year because I just don't see the Pats paying the money that he's going to rightfully command. Plus I'm sure his "I question what the plan is" before the PIT game won over the coaches. So, I'll just enjoy watching the dude work for the next 4 (or 5) months and hope Parker/Bourne/Thornton/Nixon can elevate next year.

As to the original question, since the Pats' last win, it looks like SB winning teams have required 2 WR1s, with the lucky combo of hitting one or 2 in the draft and grabbing one from free agency.

Tua leads the NFL in passing yards.

Alabama Tua.

Tua leads the NFL in passing yards.

Alabama Tua.
I heard some Miami fans saying after the Hill trade even Tua can't mess up that Offense.:cool:

Tua already has 43% of his TD production from 2021 in WEEK 2! Watching the highlights of yesterdays game, having guys that can break one is what Mac really needs. Tua has a weak arm, but those WR's/TE makes a huge difference.

The offense needs more big plays.

Currently, Meyers is leading the league all by himself on 3rd down catches for a 1st down. I know I've said this before, but last year, he was tied for third in 1st down catches on 3rd and <3 (only Cooks and Kupp were higher), and tied for tenth for 1st down catches on 3rd down overall (Jefferson, Hill, Kupp, Allen, Cooks, Adams, Waddle, Diggs, and Evans were the only ones higher per stats.com).

It doesn't matter whether or not we think he's the guy going forward past this year because I just don't see the Pats paying the money that he's going to rightfully command. Plus I'm sure his "I question what the plan is" before the PIT game won over the coaches. So, I'll just enjoy watching the dude work for the next 4 (or 5) months and hope Parker/Bourne/Thornton/Nixon can elevate next year.

As to the original question, since the Pats' last win, it looks like SB winning teams have required 2 WR1s, with the lucky combo of hitting one or 2 in the draft and grabbing one from free agency.
I say good for him Meyers is definitely proving me wrong. I remember when Edelman was barely running his routes to the sticks and look how he turned out in time. Meyers has really added suddenness to his routes he's becoming a very good possession Receiver in the mold of Anquan Bolden.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back