PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good is Kendrick Bourne?

I don't know who to compare him to, but the dude makes plays.

I know who to compare him to, we used him similarly at times to the way the 9ers are using Deebo Samuel, although less aggressively so.

He is good enough to stick to the roster. He is definitely a smart player to use him in different offensive snaps. I assume he would be even better and more productive as WR 2/3 if we arm Mac in a true, legit WR 1.

What you've seen is what you'll get with him. Not a gamebreaker, but a dependable 3rd down 3rd WR.
Hard to say that’s true. He had a career year last year WHO’s to Say he doesn’t get better?

The simple fact a FA veteran WR was successful here Year 1 that didn't come from an E/P system prior is a miracle in itself. Bourne had a great 2021 here. Expectations exceeded.

However i'm not sure Bourne is more than a 50/800 guy here as the team was a 51/49 pass/run % team in 2021. If he was more he'd be a 80/1200 guy who gets 120 targets a year which puts him in the category of who @Sciz listed.

I don't think he is at their level.
I think Bourne would benefit and be able to take the top off a lot more if we had another Edelman type WR. We just didn't have the short area quick receiver this year and it really hurt us. Especially when White went down. Bolden played admirably, but if we had White, it would have opened things up for the other guys more.

I think Bourne would benefit and be able to take the top off a lot more if we had another Edelman type WR. We just didn't have the short area quick receiver this year and it really hurt us. Especially when White went down. Bolden played admirably, but if we had White, it would have opened things up for the other guys more.
I don't know if Bourne is that kind of deep threat. He certainly makes big plays. Seems like more of an intermediate guy. Possible I guess.

I don't know if Bourne is that kind of deep threat. He certainly makes big plays. Seems like more of an intermediate guy. Possible I guess.
I'm not saying he's J'marr Chase, but the dude def can ball. We have two Bourne level receivers, an Edelman slot guy and the Smith picks up the offense to the next level in 2022. You're looking at a damn good offense.

Between him and Myers, somebody has to get the ball.
What’s your point with that?

between Jerry rice and Calvin Johnson on the same offense, somebody has to get the ball.

bournes upward trajectory by season is insane.

just keep him at #1, see how much he and Myers, who’s improved also, will improve…

the qb, wr1, wr2 are all literally skyrocketing.

why are we wr chasing?

What’s your point with that?

between Jerry rice and Calvin Johnson on the same offense, somebody has to get the ball.

bournes upward trajectory by season is insane.

just keep him at #1, see how much he and Myers, who’s improved also, will improve…

the qb, wr1, wr2 are all literally skyrocketing.

why are we wr chasing?
Keep the same WR’s and you’ll get the same results. Nothing spectacular. Myers is exactly the same guy he was last year. They won’t have any shot in a shootout with the Bills or Chiefs. They are both 3’s or 2’s at best. You are asking for a disaster if they are the #1 guy.

Keep the same WR’s and you’ll get the same results. Nothing spectacular.
No you won’t. QB will be better.
Myers is exactly the same guy he was last year.
16% increase in yards, 30% increase in catches this year, even higher last year, with two average qbs. He’s not.
They won’t have any shot in a shootout with the Bills or Chiefs.
They don’t play linebacker, cb, or nose tackle. We aren’t at their level yet.
They are both 3’s or 2’s at best. You are asking for a disaster if they are the #1
We don’t know what they are until we know who’s throwing them the ball.

again, wr chasing.

also, collective narcissism/delusions of grandeur to think were sniffing kc/buf's tier of the conference. Even cincy ain’t there.

as soon as you do get one… as I’ve opined here before… unless he’s Edelman, you’ll wanna run him out of town anyway.

stick with what you got and stay open to something favorable to you if it comes.

we shouldn’t be desperate for a pass catcher. In two years we might have to get a whole new qb. Right now we don’t even have a qb of the defense, or know who our dc is.

I doubt BB will do it, but he should try to grab a potential game-breaker WR early in the draft (maybe one of the hurt blue-chippers).

The rookie gets a transition year with Agholor on the last year of his deal, then steps forward in 2023 as the #1, with Bourne and others behind.

As I said, I doubt he'll do it - he hasn't built his teams that way, preferring a bunch of "good" options to the killer guy.

He's a great WR #2. I would target Adams, Godwin, Robinson or Ridley to pair either of them with Bourne. Adams the least likely but let me dream

He's at least as good as the guy who just caught 4 TDs in a playoff game for the Bills, and I'm making that judgement based on his route running, his hands, his acrobatic catches.

Gabriel Davis, whom Bill could've had if he, Little Nicky & Nike didn't ****ing Throw Away ALL of his 4th-round picks to move up to draft Assy-Assy & Dalton the Invisible Man Keene, is >>>>>>> Kendrick Bourne.

Last edited:
Bourne is a solid #2 WR.

Myers is a solid #3 WR.

Wilkerson could be an OK #4 WR.

I expect us to bring in WR competition. However, first resources must be spent at OT, OG and CB.
I would replace OG with DT & DE.

Agholor is our #1 WR. Obviously, he is one weakest among playoff quality teams.

HOWEVER, the offense will be fine if Agholor is better next year, when both he and Jones are in their 2nd year here.
"Fine"?

They'll be Fine on offense ONLY if they bring a playoff-caliber LT AND At Least one more playoff-caliber WR into the building

Last edited:
honestly year 2 of mac, the whole offense gelling, a revamped o-line, and a better utilized jonnu smith, I think we'll be fine.

Bourne was as good as he could have been on this team this year.

We won't be "fine" if we don't add At Least one more playoff-caliber WR.

I know who to compare him to, we used him similarly at times to the way the 9ers are using Deebo Samuel, although less aggressively so.
Not at all. Deebo literally plays running back and is their #1 receiving target.
Doing a few reverses is not using a guy similarly to someone who plays running back

We never got to see Mitchell's ceiling

If we had, maybe they don't feel forced to get Harry or AB or Sanu, instead taking a later round flyer on Mclaurin or Renfrow...

True, however, I'm not sure he had a super high ceiling.... On the other hand, he had literally one of my top 5 favorite plays from Brady comes from the 49ers game that Mitchell took to the house. What a dime on the run and great awareness from Mitchell.

He's better than Harry

Maybe a "ceiling" like Shawn Jefferson if Jefferson played in the modern NFL.

Jefferson was Bledsoe's #2 WR target after Glenn in 96 then was #1 WR target after she was "injured" in 97. Jefferson was again #2 in targets after she came back in 98.

Gabriel Davis, whom Bill could've had if he, Little Nicky & Nike didn't ****ing Throw Away ALL of his 4th-round picks to move up to draft Assy-Assy & Dalton the Invisible Man Keene, is >>>>>>> Kendrick Bourne.
GOD- I am tired of your constant complaints about the management team that has kept the the longest running success story in NFL HISTORY together. But now that my rant is over, feel free to nitpick bad draft choices that ALL teams make if it makes you feel better (and it obviously does.). But pretending that Gabe Davis was an obvious choice because he had one great day in the playoffs is ludicrous beyond ANY measure. '

BUT the great thing about your post is that it got me thinking more about the annual whine for WR's fest we have EVERY year, regardless of the results on the field.

Now I don't disagree that having a great WR isn't helpful to an offense, but it has NEVER been a key element to overall team success. Let's take for example Cooper Kupp. I just read a post combine draft analysis before his draft. He ran a 4.65 forty but had a 6.75 3cone. Among his weakness they mentioned his quickness didn't translate into separation at times. This is now the guy who is the best WR in the league and is CONSTANTLY catching passes BEHIND opposing defenses, including the game winner last week. It got me to rethink a bit about what exactly MAKES a WR great. And there are a LOT of factors.

1. Offensive system - One of Jerry Rice's breaks came when he was picked by the 49'ers in the first years of the West Coast offense, and offense that is still causing problems for DC almost 35 years after its start with Bill Walsh, But back then it was a freakin' mystery that led to the Niner's dynasty run back in the 80's and even into the 90's as teams slowly started (as they always do) adjust to new things.

The Pats have an offensive system that has been both innovative and flexible over the years. It is built to effectively utilize the talent at hand, and has proven over the years to often lead the way establishing new trends. So I'm good with the brain trust, and I'm not different than most when it comes to the usual complaints during. game day when they do something that I wouldn't have done. BUT despite the fact that I still go nuts when they fail to even give the potential of a run on 3rd and 4 or less (and this has gone on for over 10 years), the offense (IMHO) has usually exceeded its athletic potential.

And we also have to admit to ourselves that we are making our judgements about game decisions with about 1% of the information that the coaches are using to make theirs

2. QB - who you have as QB OBVIOUSLY affects the success of any WR and passing offense. I don't need to go into more depth about an issue that has been talked about over and over, Suffice it to say, so far so good. Right now we have a QB who was JUST in the top half of the league stats wise, and looks to be a keeper in all of the intangible aspects of game (leadership, competitiveness, intensity etc). No one knows exactly what type of QB Mac will develop into. The range could be anywhere between mediocre to great. I think we can safely say we can eliminate "bad" from the equation.

I'm sure he will be working hard to improve on aspects of his game. I'd love to hear some time this off season that he spent a week with Tom House and his group, though it's just a hope.

3. OL - Another "keen sense of the obvious" selection - Ours is not elite but above average. The run game was decent and the pass blocking was surprisingly effective with the 3rd fewest sacks. I hope we do get better though and Mac himself with help with that as he gets more elusive in the pocket with more experience.

4. Targets- No WR is going to be successful if they aren't going to around 10 targets or more a game. Plain and simple.

5. The ability to separate OR win the catch while being covered. That takes me back to Cooper Kupp. Here's a guy with BELOW average speed and good but not great quickness who has CONSISTENTLY beat defenses and created separation AND won contested balls all year.

So the question becomes HOW? I'm not sure I know because we don't get to see him very often. But I'd love to find his duplicate and hear from others who can offer their thoughts on the why and how of Cooper Kupp. But its clear to me that you don't have to draft in the top 10 to get one. PLUS you are about 50-50 even if you pick one in the first round. We bemoan like banshees over missing on a #32 pick when we all know about WR misses that have been made MUCH higher

But count me among those who hope we add more speed all over the field this off season but the bottom line here is that we need to use our early picks on the DL and/or CB, well before we use them for WR. Bourne has proven he can eventually be a 100 yd receiver as Andy pointed out, if he is on the field more than 50% of the time and gets more targets. Meyers is good at what he is, and Angular IMHO wasn't utilized well. It seemed to me that most of the time his role was to run clear out routes to open up others,

Harry is likely out the door, but Wilkerson continues to intrigue us with BRIEF flashes of brilliance followed by obvious examples of why he is still on the PS most of the time.

So in the end I've written a lot of crap that go back to the THESE points. You can find WR's good enough to gain 200 yds in a playoff game in every round of the draft and some that aren't even drafted. Second, it takes all kinds of skills to create separation. Cooper Kupp seems to do it every route DESPITE not having the obvious physical skills we look for in our ideal WR. I think that needs to be studied more.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back