PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good is Kendrick Bourne?

He reminds me of someone like LaFell or Malcolm Mitchell (who I totally forgot about but loved) in terms that they feast on #2/#3 CB's but lack against top coverage.
Bourne has much better YAC ability than Lafell.

I'll say it again: Bourne is vastly better than Jakobi Meyers, who despite being a fan favorite and a great story, is a JAG and not nearly productive enough as a slot receiver. He got a lot of targets because of the position he played, but did very little with his opportunities. Let him go.
No doubt Bourne is better than Meyers but why let Meyers go rather than, say, bringing in WR1/WR2-level talent and knocking him down the depth chart to a level commensurate to his ability (WR3/WR4)?

No doubt Bourne is better than Meyers but why let Meyers go rather than, say, bringing in WR1/WR2-level talent and knocking him down the depth chart to a level commensurate to his ability (WR3/WR4)?
Because he's actually worse than JAG, he's below replacement value, so they should look for an upgrade, particularly because he's a liability as a slot receiver, getting lots of chances schematically but unable to break big plays because of his lack of YAC.

It's certainly possible they can't find anyone better, in which case signing him to a cheap contract might make sense, but that's a failure scenario.

Kendrick will dominate ...

339214.jpg

I apologize for necro-posting to my own dead thread, but this is interesting re: Bourne:

Mac Jones-Kendrick Bourne connection was one of the best in the NFL in 2021

So Football Outsiders has Mac to Bourne connection #1 in DVOA, and ProFootball Focus with their entirely different methodology rates them #3.

Mac had a 139.1 passer rating targeting Bourne!

I'll say it again: Bourne is vastly better than Jakobi Meyers, who despite being a fan favorite and a great story, is a JAG and not nearly productive enough as a slot receiver. He got a lot of targets because of the position he played, but did very little with his opportunities. Let him go.

I wonder if that combo was more productive when Bourne was lined-up inside or outside, because the answer might very well determine the type of WR we should be targeting in the draft...

I’ll echo others, as I like Bourne (and Jacobi). If a true #1 WR played on this team, the pieces in place would not only benefit, but produce. I’m bullish on Bourne, in particular, and I am expecting him to succeed in 2022.

Because he's actually worse than JAG, he's below replacement value, so they should look for an upgrade, particularly because he's a liability as a slot receiver, getting lots of chances schematically but unable to break big plays because of his lack of YAC.

It's certainly possible they can't find anyone better, in which case signing him to a cheap contract might make sense, but that's a failure scenario.
I don’t see it that way. Meyers as a WR4 would be fine.

He reminds me of someone like LaFell or Malcolm Mitchell (who I totally forgot about but loved) in terms that they feast on #2/#3 CB's but lack against top coverage.
When did Bourne line up against the "top coverage" of opposing teams for you to make this determination?

I think Bourne could be a solid to excellent #2 WR. Unfortunately, he was used as the #3 WR for most of the year. Ironically, Meyers is better suited to be the #3 WR and he was mostly used as the primary WR.

Meyers was the hot read more often then not amongst the WR. I think that Bourne has untapped potential that we briefly saw last year.
The Patriots offense isn't predicated on having a "#1" receiver. It's predicated on the QB hitting the open man. Whether that man get's open via scheme or the player beating their coverage or the coverage being blown doesn't matter.

If the Pats had 3 receivers like they did with Branch, Patten , and Brown where there were basically interchangeable, it would make the offense extremely hard to defend. Adding someone like Kyle Phillips would give them that (Bourne, Meyers and Phillips). Then you could run any of the 3 out there, line them up at any of the receiver spots and make it that much harder for the defense to get the match-ups they want.

When did Bourne line up against the "top coverage" of opposing teams for you to make this determination?

I'm assuming. I can't imagine that guy is a legitimate #1 option/demands CB1 coverage, do you? I love Bourne, and I think he's a hard worker and very versatile. I just don't see his success coming against the CB1/better CB2's in the league.

I'm assuming. I can't imagine that guy is a legitimate #1 option/demands CB1 coverage, do you? I love Bourne, and I think he's a hard worker and very versatile. I just don't see his success coming against the CB1/better CB2's in the league.
Well, Cooper Kupp told Bourne that Bourne was better than he (Kupp) was in college. I mentioned before that I believe Bourne in a trio with Meyers and Kyle Phillips would be a nightmare for opposing defenses. Then you add in Hunter Henry and either Harris or Stevenson and that offense will be very good.

I look at what happened with Tee Higgins against Ramsey and I can see Bourne progressing to be very similar. He may get taken out by an opposing team's #1 CB, but I don't see enough good CBs in the league that could shut down as dynamic of an offense as I see this morphing into with the addition of someone like Phillips. (I see Phillips being a faster Edelman based on his film).

Career year with 55 catches for 800 yards and 5 TDs, plus 12 rushes for 125 yards.

Shockingly, he was the #1 WR in DVOA for the season at +30.1%, i.e. Mac throwing to Bourne was the most efficient completion combination in the league.

He was also #1 in WR rushing DVOA at +140.2%

Meyers (-10.7%) and Agholor (-1.3%) were below league average as completed.

Hunter Henry was 2nd in DVOA for TE's at +25.9%.

Looks like Mac could indeed really benefit from better WR's.

We thought we were getting Jason Bourne. Instead we got Maxwell Smart.

Well, Cooper Kupp told Bourne that Bourne was better than he (Kupp) was in college. I mentioned before that I believe Bourne in a trio with Meyers and Kyle Phillips would be a nightmare for opposing defenses. Then you add in Hunter Henry and either Harris or Stevenson and that offense will be very good.

I look at what happened with Tee Higgins against Ramsey and I can see Bourne progressing to be very similar. He may get taken out by an opposing team's #1 CB, but I don't see enough good CBs in the league that could shut down as dynamic of an offense as I see this morphing into with the addition of someone like Phillips. (I see Phillips being a faster Edelman based on his film).

I see what you're saying - and I agree. I _do_ this he'll be great with the right talent around him. It'll be interesting to see if whoever the next OC is can scheme that setup to its potential.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back