Status
Not open for further replies.
3-4:
Fanene-Wilfork-Deaderick
Jones-Spikes-Mayo-Hightower

4-3:
Scott-Wilfork-Fanene-Jones
Mayo-Spikes-Hightower

Both look fairly solid and better than last year. Now for Janoris Jenkins tonight and the defense will be leaps & bounds better than last year.

12 hours later, we have Jake Bequette to toss into the mix here. From the little bit of film I've seen on him he seems to primarily play RDE in a 4-3 (though sometimes he lines up on the left). Would he be in the same position w/ the Pats? What about when they're in a 3-4 front?

Patriots introduce 0-6-5 formation on 3rd down.

Bequette - ninko - Mayo - Spikes - Hightower - Jones

DMc - Dowling - Chung - Gregory - Arrington

Go get the QB. lol.

From what I've been reading Bequette is a bit of a prima donna. I hope he gets over that quick because he needs some hard schooling in technique.

12 hours later, we have Jake Bequette to toss into the mix here. From the little bit of film I've seen on him he seems to primarily play RDE in a 4-3 (though sometimes he lines up on the left). Would he be in the same position w/ the Pats? What about when they're in a 3-4 front?
Bequette played some rush 3-4 OLB in college as well.

We seem to be adding some versatile moving parts, that will give the Patriots D lots of different looks, and will defy traditional description...

Carter will come back, and be a great role model/bridge player for the young uns..

If Hightower plays OLB for us, then I'd have to question what BB is thinking. The kid is a career 3-4 ILB. He doesn't have the suddenness or the moves to play OLB. If we wanted a 'Bama kid to play there, it should have been Upshaw.

Hightower is a wonderful player.

At Inside Linebacker.

If Hightower plays OLB for us, then I'd have to question what BB is thinking. The kid is a career 3-4 ILB. He doesn't have the suddenness or the moves to play OLB. If we wanted a 'Bama kid to play there, it should have been Upshaw.

At Inside Linebacker.

the kid can play ILB OLB and 4-3 DE thats why BB trade it up to get him if BB seen him as only a ILB then i dont think he would have Drafted him

Rushing out of the nickel package once or twice a game doesn't mean you can play 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE in the Pro's.

Don't get me wrong, Hightower's career has been stellar, and I trust BB. But if he starts seeing a lot of snaps as a pass rusher, then you have to think BB has been far too cute with this one.

Rushing out of the nickel package once or twice a game doesn't mean you can play 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE in the Pro's.

Don't get me wrong, Hightower's career has been stellar, and I trust BB. But if he starts seeing a lot of snaps as a pass rusher, then you have to think BB has been far too cute with this one.

Picture a scenario where you don't know who and how many are coming at you. I think thats what these guys bring.

At Inside Linebacker.

Hightower is very versital. He will be playing OLB for us on some plays. Hightower is more versital than Upshaw..which is what the Pats are all about.

He will be rushing the passer. To think otherwise is silly

Last edited:
From what I've been reading Bequette is a bit of a prima donna. I hope he gets over that quick because he needs some hard schooling in technique.

Interesting that the biggest diva in Boston sports (that could be a great debate here) is also named Beckett. They took Beckett's chicken and beer and best drinking buddy (Lackey) away from him, so I suspect that Bill Belichick will consult with Bobby Valentine on how to deal with his Bequette.

Interesting that the biggest diva in Boston sports (that could be a great debate here) is also named Beckett. They took Beckett's chicken and beer and best drinking buddy (Lackey) away from him, so I suspect that Bill Belichick will consult with Bobby Valentine on how to deal with his Bequette.

Borrowed:

Jefferson = Agnew = Quale

The more I think about this the more it's clear that we are going to have few guys who are true starters in terms of PT.

Big DL
Wilfork in on all run downs and occasionally on passing downs. Deaderick and Love are the next top 2 run stuffing, big DL regardless of formation. Fanene will be the primary pass rushing DT.

Spikes - run stuffing LB, plus instincts in zone coverage, plus instincts as a blitzer. Don't want him playing man coverage. He'll play 50+ % of snaps.

Nink - just an all around good player. He can line up at 34OLB, 43 SAM or as a pass rusher. He'll play 50+ % of snaps.

Mayo - plays every down

Elephant / Pass Rusher
I thought this role was the biggest need going into the draft and Jones was taken at #21. Do the math, Jones is playing a lot here. He's a better run defender than given credit for. He can set the edge, stack and shed. He'll also be in on passing downs as he's good pressuring the QB. What he won't be doing is dropping into coverage. He'll come out mainly b/c he's a rookie. Eventually he'll play every down.

Hightower
I don't expect Donta to rush as much as others. He is primarily a LB. He is also has excellent timing on blitzes which is a different skill entirely than putting your hand down and rushing. He's also pretty good in coverage. I think he'll be behind only Mayo in terms of coverage ability among our LBs. He'll come out mainly b/c he's a rookie. Eventually he'll play every down.

Fletcher - quality backup

Bequette - I think this guys a real good pass rusher. He'll be in on passing downs going after the QB.

I believe we see a new look nickle this year that features Bequette, Jones, Fanene, Nink, Mayo and Hightower.

I'm not too sure how good this group will be. Jones / Bequette will have a hard time matching the play of Carter / Anderson from last year. Fanene seems to be an upgrade to the pass rushing DT. Hightower should be a better nickle LB than whoever (White, Tarp, Guyton) was playing last year. Nink gives us versatility w/ his ability to rush or drop into coverage. Having less fatties and more DE types will help this unit. All in all we'll be slightly better up front IMO.

I've also only mentioned 11 guys. We'll have more front 7 players make the roster but none of them are very good.

Last edited:
Rookie question: Could Mayo play OLB situationally while Spikes and Hightower were in the middle?

Yes, that's viable. There's been some speculation that kicking Mayo outside would make sense. But Hightower has experience outside, too.

Yes, that's viable. There's been some speculation that kicking Mayo outside would make sense. But Hightower has experience outside, too.

Mayo was an OLB coming out of college, right?

Rookie question: Could Mayo play OLB situationally while Spikes and Hightower were in the middle?

Mayo is far too small to play 34 OLB.
Hightower is 265 which is big for a 34 OLB in our scheme and ridiulously big for an ILB.
Historically our OLBs go 250-270 and ILBs go 240-255 or so.

What we did was get both huge and athletic at OLB with Jones and Hightower.
Our ILBs are the strength of the defense, so weren't taking Hightower to upgrade Mayo and Spikes.
The other possibility is that BB envisions a 43 with Hightower Spikes Mayo as LB and Jones at DE.

Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB.

There, I said it.

Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB. Donta Hightower is not an OLB.

There, I said it.

Umm, yes he is.

3-4:
Fanene-Wilfork-Deaderick
Jones-Spikes-Mayo-Hightower

4-3:
Scott-Wilfork-Fanene-Jones
Mayo-Spikes-Hightower

Both look fairly solid and better than last year. Now for Janoris Jenkins tonight and the defense will be leaps & bounds better than last year.

I think Fanene is not a true 3-4 DE. Too small. I'm sure he could do it, but he's a natural 4-3 tackle.

I'm still working this out... think most everyone is still working it out... made more complicated since we don't know for sure how BB intends to use all his new players. But it seems pretty clear that BB is building a team that can transform itself into all kinds of exotic looks. He's got the variety of talent on the roster now to do some pretty crazy stuff.

Here's how I'm seeing it:

3-4, 2-gap, stuff the run

34 DE - 300+ lbs, 2-gap run stuffer
model: Ty Warren, Richard Seymour
current: Deaderick, Brace, Pryor

34 NT - 310+ lbs, widebody
model: Ted Washington, Vince Wilfork
current: Wilfork, Love

34 Elephant - 285# physical freak, can rush or drop into space
model: Willie McGinest, Adalius Thomas
current: Jones, Bequette

34 ILB - 260# run stuffer
model: Ted Johnson
current: Spikes, Hightower

34 ILB - 255# good in space
model: Teddy Bruschi
current: Mayo, Fletcher, Carpenter

34 OLB - 255# seal the edge, collapse the pocket
model: Mike Vrabel, Rosie Colvin
current: Scott, Cunningham, Ninkovich, Hightower

4-3, third down

43 DE - 260# quick twitch pass rusher
model: Mark Anderson, Andre Carter
current: Cunningham, Hightower, Scott

43 DT - 285# 1-gapper or 2-gap bullrush
model: Mike Wright, Jarvis Green
current: Fanene, Bequette, Jones

43 OLB - 255# chip the TE and drop into coverage
model: Roman Phifer
current: Ninkovich, Carpenter

43 MLB - 260# shut down the crossing routes and close on ball
model: Bryan Cox
current: Mayo, Fletcher, Hightower

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back