PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How certain defenses stop Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This video is interesting. I've heard that the pats O always struggles when the defense plays alot of man but this guy is saying that defenses actually mix up their coverages or change them at the last second before a snap in order to confuse him. Like an ILB looking like he is going to blitz and really drops back into coverage. I expect to see that from Wade Phillips on Sunday but the question is, can he replicate what he did in 2015? the personnel are completely different.

Phillips is an overrated DC. He’s known for being overly aggressive, which Brady does good against. Anyone could have coached that 2015 Broncos defense.

Is Bryan Stork going to be playing to give up the snap count? Because in the November 2015 game Brady went 28/42 for 280 and 3 TDs and we win that game going away if not for the muffed punt return in the 4th quarter.
yeah and many times its only just enough to beat us. almost came back 2015 vs denver. Almost came back this year vs pittsburgh. It's not like Wade Phillips has completely redefined his defensive schemes

It’s really an easy answer. Brady can scheme out any elite player and any two elite players. Sometimes it’s three. The problem is when scheming someone out, you are going to need to attack another area, and then it depends how well that is defended and the caliber of player/s.

So in in essence, put an awesome defense filled with great players in front of Brady, and you’ll do well. Duh. There’s no secret scheme or magic formula. The defense just needs a lot of studs playing at their very best. So... drumroll.. .you need to play great defense (requiring great players) to be a great quarterback and offense.

This “blueprint” thing is dumb on so many levels. I can’t believe people still give it credence.

The 2015 Broncos are really the blueprint. You throw a lot of exotic looks in the coverage so that Brady can't make a quick decision and then get as much interior pressure as possible. The Broncos had Brady confused in the first half and it disrupted his flow and he had someone down his neck before he could make a read.

The thing is, you can't beat him forever, he'll eventually figure you out and you only can throw so many crazy looks at him.

The 2015 Broncos are really the blueprint. You throw a lot of exotic looks in the coverage so that Brady can't make a quick decision and then get as much interior pressure as possible. The Broncos had Brady confused in the first half and it disrupted his flow and he had someone down his neck before he could make a read.

The thing is, you can't beat him forever, he'll eventually figure you out and you only can throw so many crazy looks at him.

That 2015 was one of Brady's finest moments. Why you ask? Because he struggled all day. Got beaten up. But he kept getting up. It's unfortunate they lost that game thanks to the kicker. But Brady was tough that day. What a player.

Very proud of that game as well. Not too many playoff losses where Brady hasn’t put his team in a position to win. Even put them ahead in the Giants losses.

But yeah, anytime you can continuously collapse the pocket over the center or guard it usually doesn’t end well for the opposing team. Oline just needs to string together 60 more minutes of what they’ve been playing and they’ll be 6x Champs. Not rocket science here.

There is no blue print as far as I'm concerned.

We were at a major disadvantage from an athletic standpoint in that 2015 game against the Broncos. Our run game was weak after Dion Lewis went down earlier in the year and James White wasn't what he is now. We sorely lacked speed from our receivers that day. The raw athleticism of someone like Dorsett and Patterson would have made all the difference in the world for a game like that.

Everything seemed against Brady that game and he still managed to go into sage mode lol. There isn't much a defense can do when Brady's focus reaches that level. It almost doesn't seem real to see him become that clutch when the chips are down. It is like Brady actually is the Iron Fist where he becomes better the harder the fight gets.

We need to see Brady dialed in like that in the first quarter of this superbowl to score often and early for once.

We were at a major disadvantage from an athletic standpoint in that 2015 game against the Broncos. Our run game was weak after Dion Lewis went down earlier in the year and James White wasn't what he is now. We sorely lacked speed from our receivers that day. The raw athleticism of someone like Dorsett and Patterson would have made all the difference in the world for a game like that.

Everything seemed against Brady that game and he still managed to go into sage mode lol. There isn't much a defense can do when Brady's focus reaches that level. It almost doesn't seem real to see him become that clutch when the chips are down. It is like Brady actually is the Iron Fist where he becomes better the harder the fight gets.

We need to see Brady dialed in like that in the first quarter of this superbowl to score often and early for once.
In the nfc championship against the saints, saints liked to throw to their backs underneath so wade countered this by having a lineman or linebacker smack the running back at the line to throw off brees’s rhythm.

Not only was the run game all kinds of beat up, but the offensive line was a mess as well. Solder was on IR, Vollmer was hurting and playing out of position, Cannon was a liability at the time, Mason was still a rookie, and Josh Kline was starting.

If that 2015 team has 2018's offensive line, they would have won the Super Bowl.

People who point to the 2015 Wade Phillips Broncos defense getting to Brady ALWAYS forget to account for that it was in Denver which had always been a house of horrors even against bad teams. If those two 2015 games are played in Foxboro that defense still makes some good plays BUT there’s no chance they play as well as they did.

People who point to the 2015 Wade Phillips Broncos defense getting to Brady ALWAYS forget to account for that it was in Denver which had always been a house of horrors even against bad teams. If those two 2015 games are played in Foxboro that defense still makes some good plays BUT there’s no chance they play as well as they did.
Also, that was an all-time great defense; statistically at least.

Also, that was an all-time great defense; statistically at least.
Trent brown is a 380 lb giant, he’s the heaviest player in the nfl. It may be possible to single block Donald with brown.

Exactly my point. Wade Phillips has been embarrassed by trying the same thing with lesser players. That team had Miller, Ware, Jackson, Marshall, Harris, and Talib. That’s six outstanding players, along with solid ones everywhere in the starting lineup. You could have used almost any scheme and they would have been tough to score on. That defense won the SB against a 15-1 team with a quarterback who was way worse than Dilfer at that point in his career.

Trent brown is a 380 lb giant, he’s the heaviest player in the nfl. It may be possible to single block Donald with brown.
I dont know. Donald's really quick. Really interested in seeing what the plan is.

Exactly my point. Wade Phillips has been embarrassed by trying the same thing with lesser players. That team had Miller, Ware, Jackson, Marshall, Harris, and Talib. That’s six outstanding players, along with solid ones everywhere in the starting lineup. You could have used almost any scheme and they would have been tough to score on. That defense won the SB against a 15-1 team with a quarterback who was way worse than Dilfer at that point in his career.
But this year they have Donald(who is elite), suh who is good but he’s not what he was when he first started in the league and fowler who was on that sacksonville squad. No doubt they have a good defensive line but Von Miller is a different type of player because he can rush the passer or drop back into coverage. I’m guessing they’ll put talib on Edelman

Thanks for sharing. I find these Xs and Os breakdowns fascinating. It gives me tremendous respect for the offense, the GOAT and also defenses....its amazing to me they can all keep track of it. Watching in real time I miss most of this stuff.

Disguising coverages pre-snap and continually mixing up looks is indeed the best strategy against Brady, but...

- What happens if the Pats establish a running game and now the D has to give that more focus? This leads to play-action and catching defenders biting on it.

- The Pats adjust to the confusion of what's going on in the middle of the field by attacking the perimeter like they did in the 2nd half of SB51?

After 18 years of Brady seeing pretty much everything a defense can concoct, the blueprint pretty much comes down to which team plays better.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back