PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How certain defenses stop Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, so good they were 19th in the NFL this year in team defense? Not enough eye roll emojis
I hope we arent getting a repeat of SB 42, 46. Brady took a beating in SB 42. It was painful to watch. We havent seen that from this o line all postseason but this is the most talented D line we will face.

Also, so good they were 19th in the NFL this year in team defense? Not enough eye roll emojis

Yepp. And these "Analysts" always look at one side of the equation. For example, Rob Parker says Brady is the "LOAT". And that Brady should be 3-5 in SB's if it weren't for the interception & Atlanta not running it. But, Parker fails to mention the Tyree miracle catch. Or the Manningham catch. Sure, Brady could easily be 3-5 in SB's. Yet he could also easily be 7-1 or 8-0.

I hope we arent getting a repeat of SB 42, 46. Brady took a beating in SB 42. It was painful to watch. We havent seen that from this o line all postseason but this is the most talented D line we will face.

Every year is different. There are always so many comparisons to other seasons and every gameplan for every game was different. The opponents were all different too. The '07 Giants weren't exactly like the '11 version and vice versa. The 2007 Patriots lacked a strong running game and Brady had the foot injury that definitely limited his mobility. I didn't think the Patriots were playing great football and peaked too early in the year. The whole "perfect season" narrative was a colossal distraction and weight on the team and apparently the team practiced very poorly the week leading up to the Super Bowl. Too much to lose, and lost it they did. The Giants got scorching hot for the playoffs and used a furious pass rush to get the W. In 2011, I thought our team wasn't that good. We were definitely fortunate to beat Baltimore in the AFCCG and that Giants team? I wasn't surprised they beat us because that year I thought they were better.

I know BB HEAVILY got the following point across this week. Aaron Donald is their best player and he CAN NOT be allowed to get through the line. He'll likely make a few plays because of his elite talent, but limiting his damage will go a long way for a good game for the Patriots. Suh? He's definitely a disruptive force too, but personallly, I think the Patriots might do a lot of runs around the edge to take these guys out of the equation. Make them chase. Tire em out.

This is not BB's first rodeo (whereas it is Sean McVay's first) and I know he's going to have a really good game plan for the Rams. Trust him :)

GB did really well in the No Huddle against the Rams. I just read about the Raiders game and they marched down the field on them in the No huddle. KC game we wanted to avoid the no huddle to keep Mahomes off the field. I do not think they feel the same about Goff. Keep their Defense going fast to tire them since their depth is weak

Yepp. And these "Analysts" always look at one side of the equation. For example, Rob Parker says Brady is the "LOAT". And that Brady should be 3-5 in SB's if it weren't for the interception & Atlanta not running it. But, Parker fails to mention the Tyree miracle catch. Or the Manningham catch. Sure, Brady could easily be 3-5 in SB's. Yet he could also easily be 7-1 or 8-0.

Oh yeah it's definitely revisionist history. They want to dis-credit the Patriot wins, but the losses were all legit and deserved? Please! He could definitely have 7 rings already. If you play the what-if game, you'll give yourself a migraine.

This video is interesting. I've heard that the pats O always struggles when the defense plays alot of man but this guy is saying that defenses actually mix up their coverages or change them at the last second before a snap in order to confuse him. Like an ILB looking like he is going to blitz and really drops back into coverage. I expect to see that from Wade Phillips on Sunday but the question is, can he replicate what he did in 2015? the personnel are completely different.

Wade Phillips can only replicate what he did in 2015 if he replaces his LBs with Von Miller, Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan.......have the Patriots fire Dante Scarnecchia and replace him with The Googe, switch out the 2018 OL for the backups that were still standing in the playoffs, break Edelman’s foot and have him play with a temporary screw in it, have the Pats replace Sony and Rex with Brandon Bolden and the Ghost of Steven Jackson.......

The Wade Phillips storyline is the most fraudulent of any storyline floated this week. That DL is dominant but the LB corps is going to get torched by Gronk in his final career game (it will be remembered for decades to come as one of the great final performances) and the slants and dump off passes to the RBs. Brady’s going to drop a 40-burger on that team. As long as our D contains their run game this game will not be close.

Oh yeah it's definitely revisionist history. They want to dis-credit the Patriot wins, but the losses were all legit and deserved? Please! He could definitely have 7 rings already. If you play the what-if game, you'll give yourself a migraine.

And I love the argument of Montana over Brady because "Joe was 4-0. He was perfect in the SB!!". And: "Montana blew out inferior competition". In otherwords, Brady would've been somehow better off not making the SB the three times he lost? Laughable. Its almost as if Montana gets more credit for not making it more than four times. And Montana played in an era where free agency wasn't as big. The league as a whole was slanted more to the NFC in those days. So good on old Joe for beating AFC tomato cans. In Brady's era, there is more parity. The chances of you blowing out a team in the SB aren't great.

Montana was a great player. But he had the likes of Taylor, Craig, Rice, Lott, Haley, Wright, and much more on his team. Brady did more with less. Deion Branch put up great numbers with Brady. Won a SB MVP. Then does nothing in Seattle. Look at how Welker did before and after Brady. Then look at what he did with Brady. Does Montana nearly knock off Peyton Manning in the championship game with the likes of Jabar Gaffney, & Reche Caldwell at receiver?

Double standards!!

I never understand the sb 49 luck argument, It's mind numbing. The QB doesn't play defense, unless you have the ball last, the D needs to make a stop in any close game. Not sure why it matters how or where that stop was made.
I guess Rodgers wasn't lucky when his D stopped Ben with 2 minutes 2 To's left in the SB because it wasn't near the goal line....:confused:

You also have to love how the Rams defense, because of a few superstars, is considered "elite" but the Patriots (who held Aaron Rodgers and the Packers to 10 fewer points) defense? Gets crapped on constantly because they're not "athletic enough" or "don't have enough Pro Bowlers" or some other ridiculous notion. The Chargers were supposed to be too talented across the board and would come into Gillette and de-throne the Patriots? Yeah, look what happened. Oh, but the mighty Kansas City Chiefs offense, it's un-stoppable at Arrowhead, the Patriots are finished? Puh-leeese! Shut them out for an entire half, in their building!! This was an offense that scored 23 points in the first half in LA against the Rams!

The #1 offense was shut-out for an entire half in maybe the most difficult place to play for a road team in the entire NFL. Our defense doesn't get nearly enough credit for that. The MVP who threw 50 TDs in the regular season, barely got anything going until the 3rd quarter. But their defense is elite and amazing, and ours sucks right? Ok media, whatever you say

I never understand the sb 49 luck argument, It's mind numbing. The QB doesn't play defense, unless you have the ball last, the D needs to make a stop in any close game. Not sure why it matters how or where that stop was made.
I guess Rodgers wasn't lucky when his D stopped Ben with 2 minutes 2 To's left in the SB because it wasn't near the goal line....:confused:

Oh I agree. And Butler made a hell of a play. But Butler doesn't get that opportunity if Brady doesn't shred a once in a generation type defense in the 4th quarter. But all in all, Football is the ultimate team sport.

This reminds me of David Ortiz owning the Yankees, and the Yankees fans always crying, make him move his feet! The thing of it is, a bunch of times they did throw at him, and he mashed against them anyways.

The Blueprint...rush Brady up the middle, make him move his feet! OK, if you have great athletes and a great scheme, do it.

And I love the argument of Montana over Brady because "Joe was 4-0. He was perfect in the SB!!". And: "Montana blew out inferior competition". In otherwords, Brady would've been somehow better off not making the SB the three times he lost? Laughable. Its almost as if Montana gets more credit for not making it more than four times. And Montana played in an era where free agency wasn't as big. The league as a whole was slanted more to the NFC in those days. So good on old Joe for beating AFC tomato cans. In Brady's era, there is more parity. The chances of you blowing out a team in the SB aren't great.

Great point! Where was Joe Montana at 40 and 41 years old? Out of the league! 4-0 in Super Bowls yes, but he never got a sniff at another one after his 34th Birthday. Closest he came was 1990 and he didn't finish the NFCCG against the Giants because of an injury. His job was taken away by Steve Young too. Brady's "replacement" was traded away, and he won the MVP the same year! Montana also had 3 straight one-and-dones in the playoffs from 1985-1987 and he was absolutely shut the eff down in 1985 and 1986 (which was a 49-3 demolition by the New York Giants, a defense ran by none other than Bill Belichick).

You also have to love how the Rams defense, because of a few superstars, is considered "elite" but the Patriots (who held Aaron Rodgers and the Packers to 10 fewer points) defense? Gets crapped on constantly because they're not "athletic enough" or "don't have enough Pro Bowlers" or some other ridiculous notion. The Chargers were supposed to be too talented across the board and would come into Gillette and de-throne the Patriots? Yeah, look what happened. Oh, but the mighty Kansas City Chiefs offense, it's un-stoppable at Arrowhead, the Patriots are finished? Puh-leeese! Shut them out for an entire half, in their building!! This was an offense that scored 23 points in the first half in LA against the Rams!

The #1 offense was shut-out for an entire half in maybe the most difficult place to play for a road team in the entire NFL. Our defense doesn't get nearly enough credit for that. The MVP who threw 50 TDs in the regular season, barely got anything going until the 3rd quarter. But their defense is elite and amazing, and ours sucks right? Ok media, whatever you say

It's because "experts" get caught up in name recognition. They automatically look at a roster on paper with Suh & Donald, and declare: "Patriots can't stop that duo"!! If talent alone won the SB, there wouldn't be any reason to watch the games.

There’s only 1 reason the 2015 Broncos beat us, and it was injuries. Our top 3 OTs didnt play, as well as a starting guard as I recall. It was an impossible situation against a good D I their house. It was actually Brady’s most heroic performance, he led them back and the missed xtra point lost the game.

Great point! Where was Joe Montana at 40 and 41 years old? Out of the league! 4-0 in Super Bowls yes, but he never got a sniff at another one after his 34th Birthday. Closest he came was 1990 and he didn't finish the NFCCG against the Giants because of an injury. His job was taken away by Steve Young too. Brady's "replacement" was traded away, and he won the MVP the same year! Montana also had 3 straight one-and-dones in the playoffs from 1985-1987 and he was absolutely shut the eff down in 1985 and 1986 (which was a 49-3 demolition by the New York Giants, a defense ran by none other than Bill Belichick).

Agreed. Hell I remember watching "Americas Game: the 1988 49ers". Walsh
came out to the press before the season:"There is a QB controversy here". Montana nearly lost his starting job that season. He stunk it up in three straight postseason games. Brady has never been in jeopardy of losing his job. After the Chiefs debacle in 14: Reporter: "Will the QB position be evaliated this week". BB:
(Death stare...)...then laughed.

There’s only 1 reason the 2015 Broncos beat us, and it was injuries. Our top 3 OTs didnt play, as well as a starting guard as I recall. It was an impossible situation against a good D I their house. It was actually Brady’s most heroic performance, he led them back and the missed xtra point lost the game.

Absolutely. And ask players like Ware & Miller about that game. They've come out and said they had even more respect for Brady after that game. Despite being battered and bruised, he kept getting up. Most teams would've been blown out in that sitiation.

DeMarcus Ware: Patriots QB Tom Brady is one of the "5 toughest players I ever faced"

From Tuck:

"What we did to him in that Super Bowl. We hit him some times where it was like, 'He's not getting up.' And he just got up. He might've cussed his o-line out, but to be able to stay in that game -- he threw a ball in the fourth quarter to Randy Moss. The ball traveled, like, 75 yards or something like that. And that was right after Jay Alford had literally broke him in half.
"I got the utmost respect for him. Obviously, I think he's one of the best ever to do it. But more than that, that whole 'tough' label is warranted for sure."

Last edited:
Disguising coverages pre-snap and continually mixing up looks is indeed the best strategy against Brady, but...

- What happens if the Pats establish a running game and now the D has to give that more focus? This leads to play-action and catching defenders biting on it.

- The Pats adjust to the confusion of what's going on in the middle of the field by attacking the perimeter like they did in the 2nd half of SB51?

After 18 years of Brady seeing pretty much everything a defense can concoct, the blueprint pretty much comes down to which team plays better.

Regards,
Chris

Absolutely. You beat any quarterback by fooling him all the time. Pretty hard to do consistently, and Brady will catch you. If you run against guys that are moving around, you really mess that strategist up and Tom will pick you apart.

In the nfc championship against the saints, saints liked to throw to their backs underneath so wade countered this by having a lineman or linebacker smack the running back at the line to throw off brees’s rhythm.

We’ll make sure our backs get a clean release by moving them horizontally and our TEs will take the coverage head off

"but this is the most talented D line we will face."

They said the same thing about the Chargers' D line

"but this is the most talented D line we will face."

They said the same thing about the Chargers' D line
They were talented but it was on the edge. This lines strengths are on the inside. Going to have to tire them out

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back