PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Can the Pats Stop the Ravens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked abt the tite front in Ravens rewatch. Saban calls it mint, tite variations, mod4. We've played a ton of man match, maybe as good as there is in the league. So leaving our DBs on islands shouldn't be breaking news to the guys when gp. This secondary would welcome it in fact.

Chargers, Steelers & others have used tite in the past w some success. Personnel is important as you'd imagine so some teams can only play it in small doses. Need athletic DL'm for a full time look.

A bunch of On Topic, but disconnected, thoughts:

1. The Greatest Defensive Mind in the History of Football will not only have had a chance to think about this game plan for several weeks but he will have access to all the tape on this team/player and on every team/player that has followed this kind of game plan for decades...some of it might be tape that only he bothered to keep or restore; he has it digitized and cataloged in ways that we can't even imagine, so he can compare situations from 75 years ago to situations seven or five days ago. That same Mind has already played against the Ravens and Jackson this season. @patfanken outlined a lot of the X's and O's better than I ever could, so I'm not even going to try.

2. That greatest Defensive Mind in the History of Football also has one of the greatest D's of the last 25 years playing for him.

3. Guys like Jackson usually end up as One or Two Season Wonders. They crash and burn because they eventually lose a step or two and, not unrelated, they get injured. It doesn't have to be a season- or career-ending injury; it can just be a series of "minor" injuries that take them out of their rhythm, but their shelf-life is short. Even this year, the Ravens still have to face a couple of tough D's in the Regular Season.

4. Notwithstanding #3 immediately above, the Pats problem is that this might be Jackson's "One Wonder Season." Nothing we can do about that as a fact if it is a fact. Stuff happens.

5. In a showdown, the Pats ability to possess the ball and keep the Ravens off the field will be critical. Michel looked like Michel on Sunday. The O-line, though they miss Andrews, seems to be getting a little better every week. Harry gets better and better. Dorsett, Sanu and Edelman are not a shabby group of Receivers. Burkhead and White are still weapons who can make plays. Finally, no one in the history of the game has known how to "win" when the odds are long or the cause seems lost than Tom Brady.

6. HFA. I'm going to break from the CW here. Of course, I'd prefer that the Pats play any game in Foxboro, especially in January, but I don't think it's the be-all and end-all in this case...anyway, the Ravens are an outdoor team and aren't the "Dome-head" Cowboys who melted in the face of a little cold and rain. In fact, it might play to the Pats' thriving as 'dogs when all the mediots proclaim that they can't win the AFCCG at M&T Bank Stadium. The Ravens might be confident, but all the pressure will be on them. Harbaugh could be relieved after memories of how the Pats beat him with "trickery" last time in the game that led up to the Deflategate conspiracy concocted by the Ravens and Grigson. His guard might be down just enough. And, the Pats showed in Arrowhead last January that they aren't going to be intimidated by a hostile crowd in late January.

7. Bottom Line? Win on Special Teams. No Turnovers. Keep Jackson off the field. A little rain or sleet would be nice. On to Miami.

Last edited:
Curious to see how Buffalo plays them in a few weeks. Maybe they can try a few things other teams haven’t.

I bolded and underlined the fault in your argument.

You just DEFINED the difference maker for the Patriots.

Other teams "do what they do". The Patriots are a gameplan team.

Yes, there are the teams that "know their identity". But so does the opponent. It's up to Belichick to work a customized plan for Baltimore. I like that. I also like that the STRENGTH of the Patriots Defense is not spectacular playmakers (outside of Gilmore)- - but it's veteran DEPTH. There are 5-6 guys on that squad who can be coaches on the field. Belichick has NEVER had as veteran and knowledgeable a Defensive grouping ever. He has all the ingredients to attack (an admitttedly great) rock solid Offense with his AMOEBA.

The chemicals are in place for the Hoody .

To me, THAT is the overwhelming advantage the Patriots possess in a one-game winner takes all scenario.
The Pats might have an advantage in game planning/smarts, but what concerns me is Baltimore's physicality in the running game compounded by its unpredictability -- with Jackson running the option or just ad libbing. Sell out to stop the run and now he throws with accuracy; it's a tall order to defend with even the best-laid plan. I've said this before but I think the key is punishing Jackson physically. So far he has endured it but the Ravens are playing with fire the way they're exposing him to contact. It's just a matter of time before this catches up to him/them but until then, they're going to be tough to stop.

The Pats might have an advantage in game planning/smarts, but what concerns me is Baltimore's physicality in the running game compounded by its unpredictability -- with Jackson running the option or just ad libbing. Sell out to stop the run and now he throws with accuracy; it's a tall order to defend with even the best-laid plan. I've said this before but I think the key is punishing Jackson physically. So far he has endured it but the Ravens are playing with fire the way they're exposing him to contact. It's just a matter of time before this catches up to him/them but until then, they're going to be tough to stop.

I think the D the Ravens face then next time they play New England will look very different than the first.

I was thinking about this last night. Every so often an offense comes along and they're discussed as an unstoppable force, where you watch them and can't fathom how they could ever be stopped. The whole country goes nuts and talks about how dominant they are, and can't imagine a scenario where they ever have to punt. A few examples:

01 Rams
04 Colts
07 Patriots (tailed off a bit towards the end)
13 Broncos
16 Falcons (esp during the playoffs)
18 Chiefs

What do these teams have in common? They all lost in stunning fashion in the playoffs, in most cases being completely embarrassed. Four of these were to the Patriots. The only team that looked remotely like the juggernaut they were in the regular season was the Chiefs for one half, although the other half they were shut out, which was enough.

Has any 'historically good' offense won anything in the last two decades? I think not.

The Ravens feel like they're in this category. The same national conversation is taking place. But I can see them ending their season the same way as these other teams.

I wish Detriot was on their schedule, you know Pat will have had something unique cooking. Oh well.

I think that was the Pats' approach during round one in Baltimore.
I really feel like if we catch one of those tipped balls and don't get the BS neutralize zones called on us, the game could have gone a different way.

Problem is, Ravens defense has gotten better every week. We'll going to need to score at least like 27 to win. Hopefully now that the OL is stabilizing and we get some receivers back, the offense comes together. I think the run game gets going in Houston.

I think that was the Pats' approach during round one in Baltimore.

Oh, I hear ya, Tune. I just keep thinking that while BB definitely DID want to win that night, he was not going to sell the store for a regular season win when he knows he very well could see this "new" Offense again in the playoffs.

Something about the clip (0:22-0:27) in the HBO doc coming out in a couple of weeks keeps haunting me regarding that........He did "sell the store" in the Ravens game that year to pull out a tough win. Also against the Giants in week 17.

Last edited:
I keep seeing this posted like Mahomes sucks this year. He’s still playing very well it’s not like he won the MVP then turned into Cam Newton.

I started laughing thinking about Lamar Jackson turning in to cam newton. Lol no one can dress that badly not even mick jagger

I was thinking about this last night. Every so often an offense comes along and they're discussed as an unstoppable force, where you watch them and can't fathom how they could ever be stopped. The whole country goes nuts and talks about how dominant they are, and can't imagine a scenario where they ever have to punt. A few examples:

01 Rams
04 Colts
07 Patriots (tailed off a bit towards the end)
13 Broncos
16 Falcons (esp during the playoffs)
18 Chiefs

What do these teams have in common? They all lost in stunning fashion in the playoffs, in most cases being completely embarrassed. Four of these were to the Patriots. The only team that looked remotely like the juggernaut they were in the regular season was the Chiefs for one half, although the other half they were shut out, which was enough.

Has any 'historically good' offense won anything in the last two decades? I think not.

The Ravens feel like they're in this category. The same national conversation is taking place. But I can see them ending their season the same way as these other teams.

Right now the 2 best teams in each conference look like:

Ravens
Patriots

Niners
Seahawks

With the Chiefs and Saints as a darkhorse in each conference.

Belichick will call Saban to get some insights

I read five pages and couldn't go on so sorry if this has been said already.

Watching last nights game I was thinking that Ingram not Jackson is the ignition to their offense. I would consider a plan to take Ingram away (if possible) thereby making LJ absorb multiple hits running the ball. At least this way you have a better chance knowing who is handling the ball.

LJ is truly a breath of fresh air and so exciting to watch. The most dynamic offensive player to come into the league in a long time. The fact that we passed over him for Sony makes it very painful to think what could have been. Many were 100% hoping the pats would pick LJ at that spot.
Its not just LJ, although he makes every one on that team better.

They have solid lines on both sides of the ball. Kudos to Harbaugh for having the vision and imagination to transform his team so quickly. Right now the Ravens are the best team in the NFL and its not even close. That could change with just 1 or 2 injuries, but very impressed with Raven's perfectly executed plan to make their team a championship contender

Send him a bouquet of flowers

Oh please. So a run first QB isn’t more likely to get injured compared to a pocket passer?
Really not trying to pick on you but it's almost 2020.

People really aren't familiar w this fact?

Like Big Ben & Cam are the definition of a healthy QB? Manning?

Wilson has been running & running for his life since day 1.

Going through this thread is hilarious. We'll just kill & hit the QB, that'll do it lol.

Lamar is a RB/WR, he can't play QB.

Lamar sux as a QB. Can't read a defense, run 1st QB. We'D hAvE tO cHaNgE oUr SyStEm.

Lamar sux as a QB & can't throw.

Lamar will never sustain this & get hurt.

How can we stop Lamar? Why didn't we draft him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST