PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Can the Pats Stop the Ravens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Just so the media can continue ballwashing Jimmy, stating that he WAS better than Brady and could do what Brady couldn't, while also continuing the narrative that the 49ers are the best team in the NFL?

The best outcome for that game is a tie.

Honestly I couldn't care less about the media. Just remember 2014 or 2016 when the dynasty was apparently over. But I care about HFA in January because it is such a big advantage!

Last year that Media narrative was something that fired Brady up, so maybe if the whole nation thinks BB made a mistake it will end up in another catch phrase like "We're still here"

Can we get Ray Lewis to kill one of his guy

LMFAO at “yOu GoTtA hIt HiM” in this thread. Well no ****. You don’t say? That stance tells me that the people saying it haven’t watched any of their games outside of when they played the Pats and maybe a little bit last night. That’s a common sense approach that I’m sure every team has tried to take. The problem is that it is exceptionally hard to light him up. You’ll hit him a couple of times but it won’t be good enough to do any real damage.

You beat him by disguising your coverages, having a DT who can effectively take away two of his gaps, and DEs/OLBs that can hold the edge and either ride him out or force him back inside toward traffic.

The Ravens game plan is obvious: control the clock. Turnovers are critical. We need to create possessions. Control the clock ourselves and keep the game close. LJ is a completely different player when playing with a 10+ point lead. You force him to throw by keeping the game close or having a lead yourself.

Look at the losses to Cleveland and KC and the close games against Pitt and Cincy. The closer the game, the more mistakes he makes.

Last edited:
I don’t know he’s been so dominant for so many years and nobody has been able to stop him.

LMFAO at “yOu GoTtA hIt HiM” in this thread. Well no ****. You don’t say? That stance tells me that the people saying it haven’t watched any of their games outside of when they played the Pats and maybe a little bit last night. That’s a common sense approach that I’m sure every team has tried to take. The problem is that it is exceptionally hard to light him up. You’ll hit him a couple of times but it won’t be good enough to do any real damage.

You beat him by disguising your coverages, having a DT who can effectively take away two of his gaps, and DEs/OLBs that can hold the edge and either ride him out or force him back inside toward traffic.
Abt 5 mins ago I wrote this....
Going through this thread is hilarious. We'll just kill & hit the QB, that'll do it lol.

Nothing wrong w only watching NEP but it's clear most are 10+ years behind & just getting familiar.

Much different style of quarterback, but it could still be good practice.

Totally different team, they blew the doors off Houston. Deshaun is way more pocket orientated than Jackson.

Abt 5 mins ago I wrote this....
Going through this thread is hilarious. We'll just kill & hit the QB, that'll do it lol.

Nothing wrong w only watching NEP but it's clear most are 10+ years behind & just getting familiar.
Hitting him like RGIII would work if he ran like RGIII. Jackson is in the same vein as Wilson where both know to get out of bounds. They’re smart runners and very slippery. It’s extremely difficult to get a kill shot.

If the Patriots sign Ray Lewis that should do the trick. Hell, they would even be paying for a two-for-one!

Amazing that it's so easy that a chorus of posters on this cursed forum can figure it out but a whole host of NFL coaches haven't! Just hit the quarterback!

Amazing that it's so easy that a chorus of posters on this cursed forum can figure it out but a whole host of NFL coaches haven't! Just hit the quarterback!
If we hit the quarterback in every game, we could be a pretty successful defense. Just imagine the possibilities.

You watch Bill come out with the blueprint...
I was hoping that the Rams might come up with one, but no such luck. BB must get tired of doing all the heavy lifting in the NFL...

I haven't read all of this, but I generally agree with Ken's analysis, stacking the LOS. The Ravens have great blocking at the point of attack so we need a big "jumbo" front, but we also need speed behind to fill. Some odd personnel requirements, but 5-1-5 or 4-2-5 with LBs up seems like the way to go.

Harbaugh said it right before the Pats game: They haven't seen anything like this.

Remember that game? New England was all "we're the bogeymen, boo!" swagger, and Baltimore had an extra week to punch them in the face. Before the Patriots knew the game had started, it was 17-0.

That's what the Ravens have done the last four weeks. They shock you and by the time your mind catches up to the game speed, you're way down and they can impose their will. They run downhill on both sides of the ball.

The first quarter of the Ravens game was the worst quarter of football the Pats have played all year. Totally punched in the face. They played Baltimore even after that, in Baltimore, and it wasn't like the Ravens were taking their foot off the pedal - the Edelman fumble quite possibly stopped the Pats from actually taking the lead early in the third quarter.

So yes, the Patriots can play with this team, but it will probably be a dogfight that will have people throwing things at their TVs in both cities.

We're onto Houston. Take care of business this week (and if the Niners, who are hitting on all cylinders right now with Kittle back, can beat Baltimore, HFA is right there for the Pats to grab).

Do you really want a season where there is NO competition?

Onto Houston!

It seems like excellent man coverage on their WRs along with gap discipline up front is the best way to go against them. Stop the run and don't go for the kill shot against Jackson on every down.

Hitting him like RGIII would work if he ran like RGIII. Jackson is in the same vein as Wilson where both know to get out of bounds. They’re smart runners and very slippery. It’s extremely difficult to get a kill shot.
The whole "just hit the QB" thought tells me posters are a bit behind but what do I know?

That is how they play the RPO in college, always go after the QB and eventually it takes a toll. Like you said even if it mean ignoring the guy he pitches to. By the second half LJ will get more gun shy about running that option.
Not that easy since the Ravens often have the mesh point much deeper in the backfield than college RPO tends to.

Totally different team, they blew the doors off Houston. Deshaun is way more pocket orientated than Jackson.
Just getting some more experience dealing with a mobile QB couldn't hurt. He is much more like Wilson than Jackson though.

The whole "just hit the QB" thought tells me posters are a bit behind but what do I know?
No. You’re wrong. Just hit him. Every down. Here are the steps...

Step 1: Hit him.
Step 2: Win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results