PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hope everyone was able to set their clocks back in their cars yesterday

Meh I’ll just wait the 6 months.

Set it back now and by late next year, it'll be right for eternity.

In November of 2023, we fall back for good.

Another hour or two of my life wasted. These artificial modern world requirements drive me crazy. Bring back the world where we rise at dawn and go to sleep when the sunset. Fecking ridiculous.

I can't set mine either, so now it is correct, but in 6 months just add an hour.

I can't set mine either, so now it is correct, but in 6 months just add an hour.
I remember some old car I had the clock settings was imbedded in the radio. :rolleyes:

I have an old Audi A6 that runs great except for the clock that runs slow. Never heard of a digital clock that runs slow before.

I have an old Audi A6 that runs great except for the clock that runs slow. Never heard of a digital clock that runs slow before.
The wind off one of those at highs speeds almost blew me off the road literally in the embankment . :(

My car (2017) automatically adjusted. I spent a minute or two trying to figure out how to change it before I realized that it had already done it for me. :p

My car (mid-00s BMW) does the same thing.

The simplest reason is the car clock goes through extremes of temperature that indoor clocks do not. This causes the clock to 'tick' slower or faster than it should based on temperature. There are solutions to this problem (temperature compensated oscillators that have built-in heaters are one solution I'm familiar with) but car makers often don't spend the money on such things, and probably fear the constant current drain to run the heater.

I believe most home digital clocks use the frequency of the A/C wall current to tick off the seconds (in the US, it is 60 cycles per second ). The utility companies are required to keep that rate accurate to a high tolerance, mainly because old-school electro-mechanical processes timed themselves using the frequency of the A/C. Either that, or the home clocks have a stand-alone clock (oscillator) that may or may not be temperature compensated.

The makers of digital wristwatches know the wearer expects highly accurate time (that's the purpose of wearing the watch) so they simply spend more to get higher accuracy oscillators.

My car (2017) automatically adjusted. I spent a minute or two trying to figure out how to change it before I realized that it had already done it for me. :p
New cars use standalone GPS and/or Internet connections to get the right time.

Last edited:
We had a digital bedroom clock that ran obscenely fast, just threw it out & got a new one.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back