PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holy **** you guys. We were down 28-3 in the Super Bowl and won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have friends who turned the game off early because they were so upset. One was rescued by his wife who saw the Pats coming back on another TV elsewhere in the house and got him to turn it back on in the fourth quarter. The other guy missed the game's last 10 minutes, the goofball.

That's the kind of crap that fair weather fans pull.

I might have stopped watching the game if they went down 32 points and just checked my phone periodically. After White's first TD, I had decided to stick it out to the end to see if it was still a possibility. They had moved the ball on Atlanta throughout the game but just had nothing to show for it, I started believing when HT got the strip sack, you could see Brady jump up on the sideline, then you could just feel it. If there was any player in the world who could pull it off it was Brady. He believed, thus I dared to believe as well.

Still though, the thought that the Pats could get two TD's along with two 2pt conversions seemed very very improbable.
The look on Brady's and Mitchell's faces were classic! I love today shot every time I see it. They both jumped up and Mitchell's eyes were so wide. It got me pumped.

So after the game we drove all the way to Dallas to board a 6 AM flight. We get on the shuttle from rental to the gate and an older couple were hesitant to start a conversation with us because they had gone to bed at half time due to their early flight. Then they heard our joy and started asking questions still confused as to what happened.

The main reason I left the game on was because I knew that if they came back, I'd regret it for the rest of my life. I mean it. That's one I'd take to the grave.

So I shut it off at halftime to clear my mind and said to myself "ok put it back on in 20 minutes and pray for the best."

Reactions: sb1
I can't figure out how to create the right query in PFR Play index to check but I bet there aren't many teams that successfully overcame a 16+ point deficit in the 4th quarter using two 2-pt conversions.

I punted early at 21-0 disgusted at the OL and disappointed that Brady was not Brady in the SB.
But when the Pats tied and especially won the coin toss, I was relaxed knowing that TFB would drive downfield for the W.

This winter in FL for the 1st time ever, I get no hassle & nothing but respect comments from strangers while wearing my TB12 shirt.
Tommy Boy finally killed it. Football fans have to admit that he's the GOAT,

I was at peace when the score was 28-3. Falcons K Matt Bryant is from the same town as me so while I was certainly disappointed, it was pretty cool that I would know a Super Bowl winner.

Eventually the Pats got a couple scores and I was happy we had kept fighting. Then it's 28-18. No way. 28-20. Still no way. After the Julio catch, I wasn't even mad. What do you do?

Then the Flowers sack. No way. The holding call. No way. The Edelman catch. No way. White TD. No way. Even after the game-tying 2 pointer. No way.

It wasn't until after White scored in OT did I finally have a deep, emotional reaction. That whole drive, I just watched in a state of shock. I simply couldn't believe what I was seeing. Part of me didn't want to believe we could actually win this game.

Just. Wow.

This is exactly the way the game went for me. In the first half I was a bit down but I knew mathematically there was still a fighting chance. Once 28-3 happened my doubts started to come into play but I didn't count them out. I quietly watched, and after every single score I would re-evaluate the likelihood of us making a game out of this.

I didn't even get excited when we tied it or one the OT coin toss. I still didn't even believe it when we won. After seeing the confetti I was still under the impression that they didn't do an official review yet and that the game wasn't over.

This goes down as the worst - best superbowl ever. The reward, the win, the records, the 5th ring, the comeback, and the middle finger to goodell and bradys suspension... this cannot and will never be topped.

However this was the worst game to sit through. We spent the entire game losing, by A LOT. We spent the last 15 min of the game holding on by a thread where one play (which happened a couple times) could have been the end of it. The jones catch, the missed facemask on sanu, the common sense to run the ball on the 22 yard line and then just kick it to be up by 11.

Instead. We had a much needed strip sack, insane Flowers sack, holding, insane edelman catch, and on top of it, we converted two 2-pt conversions in the 4th quarter.

This wasn't like Seattle where we were hoping for a miracle and the BOOM interception and you go wild. The Seattle game was a boxing match, it was competitive (score wise) throughout the game. We were down by 10 in the 4th, not 19. It was an edge of your seat game the entire game.

The Falcons game was a gashing wound where the bleeding slowly stopped, and then you slowly began to heal. Against all odds I still cannot believe it. It was the most emotional/confusing game i've ever experienced. HOW?

Pretty sure I've watched the superbowl/mic'ed up about 10 time now between the two of them.

Part of what really amazed me was the fact that we needed two two point conversions and got them.

In some weird way, it almost feels like 21 is easier to get than 16.

There certainly is some truth to that especially when the extra point was snapped from the two yeard line.

When the extra point was snapped from the two yard line the point after seemed like a certainty.

With that in mind, a 21 point deficit requires three possessions but only three scores (again, assuming the XP a certainty).

With a 16 point deficit, while it's possible to make up in two possessions it actually takes four scores (with the 2 point tries essentially being fourth down plays).

So people might still think, well, big deal. If you miss a 2 pt conversion then you need another TD and you'll be in the same situation as if you were down by 21 to begin with......so what's the big deal? The big deal is clock management.

When down 16, most teams manage the clock as if they only need two possessions to tie and therefore may not leave themselves enough time if it doesn't work out.

I will say this though.........

Gost missed an extra point in the game, that is a fact. Let's be glad he missed that one when he did.

Could you imagine if he hits that one, we're down by 7 going into the final drive of regulation, Pats score TD, and he misses the potential tying PAT then? Yikes!

I'm sure it's the same for a lot of us, but the Hightower strip sack changed EVERYTHING.

Yes, at that point their last two possessions were TD and FG, but the Pats chewed up a lot of clock on each of those drives. The Hightower strip sack was huge not only becasue our offense got the ball back, but they had the ball WITH A SHORT FIELD. That was critical for clock management.

Pretty sure I've watched the superbowl/mic'ed up about 10 time now between the two of them.

Oh, I'm with you 100%. I've watched those countless times and am literally counting down the days until March 7th (blu ray release).

Oh, and I'm on this messageboard three weeks later still talking about the Super Bowl like it was yesterday.

This is a good community. You guys are understand me.

If you believe in karma, this was definately the best way to stick it to the Omissioner.

In the same way we were depressed earlier in the game and then lifted to the highest emotional heights, Goodell had to be smiling like the cat that ate the canary, only to get served an ending like Brad Pitt endured in "Seven".

In a weird way I was almost happier with us having to go for 2 with 57 seconds left than having Ghost line up for the tying extra point at that point. Too much pressure for someone with the yips. Even the FG to make it 28-12 sneaked in on the R side.

The 2005 Champions League final of the NFL. Greatest comeback ever and it all happened for the Pats in Houstonbul.

The 2005 Champions League final of the NFL. Greatest comeback ever and it all happened for the Pats in Houstonbul.

To me, Istanbul was much better because Liverpool was a complete **** team. AC Milan was goliath.

Crespo, Shevcenko & Kaka VS Baros, Smicer & Garcia. LOL. Even now, I still couldn't believe it. A true miracle.

Very true. Liverpool had some nice pieces in Gerrard, Alonso, and Carragher, and good character guys in Hyypia, Riise, and Hamann, but they were up against an AC Milan team that had been there before and had just won 2 years earlier. The build-up was more like Super Bowl 36 in some ways actually. On paper, Liverpool had a better team in 2007 and 2009 where they couldn't win the EC.

I punted early at 21-0 disgusted at the OL and disappointed that Brady was not Brady in the SB.
But when the Pats tied and especially won the coin toss, I was relaxed knowing that TFB would drive downfield for the W.

This winter in FL for the 1st time ever, I get no hassle & nothing but respect comments from strangers while wearing my TB12 shirt.
Tommy Boy finally killed it. Football fans have to admit that he's the GOAT,
That was a great feeling when the Pats won the OT coin toss. I feel like most of us just knew it was going to happen. With Tom dedicating the game to his mom, the legacy impact and revenge on Goodell...he was going down the field and scoring. There was no way he'd come up short.

Brady is one of a kind, how many times have we seen him drive the field at the end of the game to get into the end zone or put us ahead?

That was a great feeling when the Pats won the OT coin toss. I feel like most of us just knew it was going to happen. With Tom dedicating the game to his mom, the legacy impact and revenge on Goodell...he was going down the field and scoring. There was no way he'd come up short.

Brady is one of a kind, how many times have we seen him drive the field at the end of the game to get into the end zone or put us ahead?

One of the most memorable comebacks was the 21-0 halftime (or was it 24?) against the broncos back in 2013. Rarely do we go out but that day was a good friend's bday so we took him out for the game. What a terrible terrible half but man once we started coming back, that place exploded.

One of the most memorable comebacks was the 21-0 halftime (or was it 24?) against the broncos back in 2013. Rarely do we go out but that day was a good friend's bday so we took him out for the game. What a terrible terrible half but man once we started coming back, that place exploded.

It was 24-0. But that comeback was at home, started earlier and the Broncos really helped us out with turnovers. Nowhere as impressive as the SB one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes