PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holy **** you guys. We were down 28-3 in the Super Bowl and won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in such "holy $%*#!" mode that I'm watching All-22 footage 3+ weeks later to truly grasp what really happened.

On the 5th, I was at my girlfriend's sister's game party. They are all Raiders fans and still bitter over the tuck rule. To say they are haters is an understatement. While they tried to subdue their joy at every play in Atlanta's favor, they couldn't help but scream in delight at the pick 6. The tables turned in the 4th quarter and OT as the room became mine. After the win, they all congratulated me and said, "That was Brady's Game...the one everyone will remember him by." Not bad, coming from a bunch of haters who don't regularly watch the Pats.

Regards,
Chris

At 28-3 I had pretty much given up hope and said "well this is better than getting our guts ripped out at the end of the game again a la 42 and 46." I also said this would be the last time I'd see the Pats play for several months so I was going to "relax and try to enjoy it." So that's what I did.

I also changed where I was sitting and started drinking straight vodka. That might have helped too. I just wanted to be in a stupor.

As the score was getting closer and closer, I got worried that my "guts ripped out at the end" statement might have been a jinx and/or premonition. I don't think I said anything other than "don't jinx it" to my dad a few times as he was predicting the comeback.

I SOOOO did not want to get too excited only to be devastated again, so I stayed very quiet and (fake) calm during the last TD drive and even the 2 pt conversion to tie it.

When they won the coin toss in OT I felt confident they'd win, but I didn't say anything to anyone. I still kept vety quiet all throughout the last drive. I think.

Even when White crossed the EZ in OT, I didn't really believe it until I saw the confetti. Until then I was kind of in shock and kept waiting for it to be not-real somehow. And then I freaked the **** out, yelling and jumping and hugging... and at one point crying like the sissy that I am. Remember, I was hammered.

My daughter took a bunch of videos right after they won and my favorite one is me looking totally confused towards my dad and GF and saying "OK..... what happened???" and then laughing like an idiot.

Last edited:
One thing that has always amazed me about BB is his complete and utter calmness on the sideline no matter how badly a game may be going, and even more so for him in this SB. Total focus, no histrionics or tantrums. Laser focus with the brain constantly assessing and plotting.
Wish I had that ability.
Go Pats
Belichick did look like he was really pissed, Fox camera caught it, maybe after the TD that made it 28-3. He had his back mostly to the camera and looked like he might be chewing out a coach or two. Have to look up later exactly when it happened. But, you're right, no cheerleading up and down the sidelines like a Pete Carroll or a, yes, Dan Quinn. BB is like a combination of a horse with blinders on and a robot from 1000 years in the future. All business, baby.

Like many others I am too high-strung to attend a busy Super bowl party full of people who don't care, at least when the Patriots are involved. So it was only the my wife and son, and they aren't exactly football fans. With my wife being from Texas, she at least knows the rules and gets what's going on.

By the time of the pick-6, I was pretty down and my wife was saying "they just don't seem to have it tonight". But at 21-0, I was reminding her that there was plenty of time left, and the graphic went up on Tom Brady having overcome 21-point deficits 3 times before.

Then the Patriots seemed to stumble over one another well into the 3rd, and when the TD made it 28-3, my wife said she and my son were going to go walk the dogs, wondered aloud if I would want to come, and again she said that "after all, it just wasn't our night".

I distinctly remember telling her that it wasn't time for me to give up just yet, that even if it made no sense, that this game wasn't over yet. I'm a pretty optimistic guy, but I think she thought I was in denial. She and my son both left to walk the dogs and I was alone. More uninhibited. I could talk to the TV set now! I cursed the missed XP and the goofed onsides kick, yelled for the first time after we forced a punt, and threw things when we settled for a FG.

My wife and son got back from walking the dogs right after the Hightower strip sack, and they could hear me yelling from outside. My wife said "What's going on?" and I said "it's comeback time!"

Seeing that the score was still 28-12, I think that she thought I was still a little too crazy-optimistic. I said "We are going to score two touchdowns, just you watch, and hope that we also make BOTH two point conversions".

It was like a snowball rolling downhill by that point.

Still unreal, though, after 20 re-viewings!

I really don't know what it was but I somehow remained calm throughout the first 3 quarters of the game. I knew what a privilege it was to be there but it was almost like my mind was in a trance not even registering the idea of spending all this money and getting blown out on the biggest stage. It was almost like I was in denial but I kept telling my sister that if we could just finish out these drives and get some turnovers that it's still doable. It's not like the Pats played like crap in the first half; they were having sustained drives but just ended poorly in the red area. At the end of the first half I went to the bathroom and Falcons fans were chirping pretty heavily. I kept my mouth shut for the most part but reminded them there is still a half to play and we have Tom Brady. Nothing but "cheaters, defense is overrated, RISE UP" chants out of them. Would have been nice after the game to see the one dink that was popping his mouth off - good bit of schadenfreude to be had.

Anyway, we finally scored that first touchdown and I said ok this is where the tide turns, then Gost misses the XP and I retract and say maybe it's just not our night. The thought of having to score 3 times with potentially needing two 2-point conversions seemed to be unrealistic but if anybody could do it, this team could. With each score it was becoming more realistic that we could do it and then Julio Jones rips my heart out the same way Tyree, Manningham and Kearse did the past 3 Super Bowls. Flowers get the sack and i'm thinking Bryant could miss and then Long comes up huge and gets the hold. As soon as they punt the loudmouthed falcons fans around me could feel the inevitable developing and start the "cheater" whines. I knew at that moment that we were going to do it. You could just feel it in the atmosphere. Once we scored and then we won the coin toss, I told the Falcons fans around me to save some time and leave now because there's 0% chance Brady doesn't march down the field for 6. Sure enough, he does it and I throw my sister about 30 feet in the air from pure elation. What a feeling, what a win, what a team. Best night of my life!

The only football team I have ever seen to rival NE is Lombardi's Packers. Both in terms of "being greater than the sum of the parts" and of the love and respect the team members have for one another. And Lombardi is the coach most similar to BB - both great motivators and great strategists. And both with roots in the football of the service academies. As far as I am concerned, being placed equal or above Lombardi is the ultimate in praise.

I was ok with going down early in the 2ndQ, but I was not happy. I was actually more upset because I knew I was right, this team CANNOT have a good game coming of off a bye week. I even told my wife I expected this outcome for the first 2 quarters. What sank me was the 28th point in the third.

It wasn't until we got our touchdown, that I knew there were some adjustments made during halftime. I actually called the missed extra point!. At that point I knew we had to play our best D. What was killing me was how patient Brady was! Didn't the announcers even mention it during the game? Comparing it to McNabb?

Once we got the 3 my head started spinning, knowing we only needed two 16 point conversions. I actually was more worried about the extra points than I was the TD's! The botched snap was so well executed, I knew it right there, this team is going for everything, and everyone's on board. At this point, I was wondering how they were going to score next.

(Somewhere in there is a botched Onside Kick, that the Falcons got no points from) That'll be forgotten when they talk about this game for sure.

That run up the sideline by Freeman will haunt me to this day. Nevermind JJ's catch, that was awesome. Credit JJ just for being there, but not Rowe enough to knock it down. Sack, Hightower, the new generations Bruschi, and we get it back
(My wife's never been a big Boston team fan, as she's from Florida. She's not to keen on sports either way, but she know's a good game when she hears one going on. I turned and told her, long after the kids gave up on the game, it's almost tied.)

A hold against Chris Long? An incomplete pass?

The ball is in Tom's hands, with plenty of time. Is everyone forgetting the 15 yard scramble? The pass to 'Dola? Mitchell and Bennett?

Touchdown, James White!

The one thing I had been fearing was the two point conversion. We can't do it again, can we?

At 28-26 we were both in shock. I thought, 2 points. Where is Sam Bam with his TD jump now? The pass to Amendola was both the best effort and the worst designed play I've seen for a goal line stance in a long time, yet it worked.

The fact that we got the possession in OT only enhances TB's legacy. I recall the 4th and 2 game, BB had no faith in his D. What would have happened if we lost the flip? Could we stop the Falcons? Would we keep them to a field goal?

It almost seemed as if the coin flip was destined to be ours, almost like we had taken the game back so aggressively that there was no way we would lose even the coin flip.

This is where Brady came in, again. Trusting receivers, take what's given to you, and march down the field. I wanted Bennett to end it, but White did the job.

At halftime I was tired of all the anti-pats texts I was receiving so I turned my phone off. Didn't turn it back on until the game was over.........hahaha oh man there were more texts....but they had completely different tone MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

At 28-3 I had pretty much given up hope and said "well this is better than getting our guts ripped out at the end of the game again a la 42 and 46." I also said this would be the last time I'd see the Pats play for several months so I was going to relax and "try to enjoy it." So that's what I did.

I also changed where I was sitting and started drinking straight vodka. That might have helped too. I just wanted to be in a stupor.

As the score was getting closer and closer, I got worried that my "guts ripped out at the end" statement might have been a jinx and/or premonition. I don't think I said anything other than "don't jinx it" to my dad a few times.

I did not want to get too excited only to be devastated again, so I stayed very quiet and (fake) calm during the last TD drive and even the 2 pt conversion to tie it.

When they won the coin toss in OT I felt confident they'd win, but I didn't say anything to anyone.

Even when White crossed the EZ in OT, I didn't really believe it until I saw the confetti. Until then I was kind of in shock and kept waiting for it to be not-real somehow. And then I freaked the **** out, yelling and jumping and hugging... and at one point crying like the sissy that I am. Remember, I was hammered.

My daughter took a bunch of videos right after they won and my favorite one is me looking totally confused at my dad and GF and saying "OK..... what happened???" and then laughing like an idiot.

I apologize for quoting this whole thing but coincidentally, this was pretty much exactly me for the Super Bowl.

Untitled.png

My phone from 2/5/17

...After the win, they all congratulated me and said, "That was Brady's Game...the one everyone will remember him by." Not bad, coming from a bunch of haters who don't regularly watch the Pats.

One more story from the 5th...

One of the guys at the party was set to lose $800 as the Pats sat at the two yard line in OT. He frantically called his bookie and made a double-or-nothing bet that the Pats would score a TD on the very next snap. The bookie accepted. White scored and his loss was wiped out. He might have screamed in joy louder than me.

Regards,
Chris

One more story from the 5th...

One of the guys at the party was set to lose $800 as the Pats sat at the two yard line in OT. He frantically called his bookie and made a double-or-nothing bet that the Pats would score a TD on the very next snap. The bookie accepted. White scored and his loss was wiped out. He might have screamed in joy louder than me.

Regards,
Chris
That's actually an awesome story.

At halftime I was tired of all the anti-pats texts I was receiving so I turned my phone off. Didn't turn it back on until the game was over.........hahaha oh man there were more texts....but they had completely different tone MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I had a similar experience. I had a bunch of "friends" in a group chat that were straight up stomping on my head as I was drowning during the game. One kid, who is a Seahawks fan mind you, kept saying "what's it like to spend $5500 to go to a lady gaga concert?" I shut my phone off until the end of the game. Needless to say, he hasn't responded in the group chat since the comeback was complete.

I had a similar experience. I had a bunch of "friends" in a group chat that were straight up stomping on my head as I was drowning during the game. One kid, who is a Seahawks fan mind you, kept saying "what's it like to spend $5500 to go to a lady gaga concert?" I shut my phone off until the end of the game. Needless to say, he hasn't responded in the group chat since the comeback was complete.
The only "friends" Pats fans have when they're in the SB are other Pats fans. Everybody else either hates us or wants us to lose or, most likely, both.

The only "friends" Pats fans have when they're in the SB are other Pats fans. Everybody else either hates us or wants us to lose or, most likely, both.

True, but from now on I suspect most haters will keep their mouths shut until the game is truly over.

Regards,
Chris

True, but from now on I suspect most haters will keep their mouths shut until the game is truly over.

Regards,
Chris
And, as we all know, the game isn't over until Tom Brady says it's over. :)

Funny you say that. I was like that the seattle game. Ohhh the backlash I gave to some of the texts i had when it was 24-14 in the 4th... bet your *** the first thing that popped in my mind at the time of the INT was "I cannot wait to be a complete ahole to all those who busted my balls"

This time it was different. I celebrated in peace. Didn't even care who said what to me before/during the game. I enjoyed it by enjoying it and didn't spend any energy on the "i'm sorry what were you saying an hour ago?" conversations...

I told my wife, after the first few defensive plays by ATL, that they where over playing. I just thought they were too hyped up. Sure enough, they got gassed. But there were moments of doubt. But by late 3rd qtr, it looked like that was a big factor. TB torched them after that. What an amazing thing to witness.

For those of you who have watched the game a bunch of times, was it truly a clean snap and hold on the missed PAT? I'm not taking all the blame off Gostkowski but I thought the snap was a little off and the holder had to reach a bit to grab it. Or am I just seeing things?

You my friend had my favorite post, "...I know I should be really mad right now but all I can do is laugh..." -Froob

I've been through a lot of these things over many, many years, and my apprehensive pre-game posts turned out to be prophetic, but I'd said since August that this would be our toughest game. My positive, encouraging, strategic and still excited posts halftime and after were met with some dislikes and abuse here, but I was never hypnotized by the score. A lot of things still did not go right for us after the half, and clock management became of course crucial. The Pats kept playing. It's what you have to do. It doesn't have to be perfect, there's no magic formula, but you really have to keep your eye on the ball. We've seen comebacks like this from the Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox before on the biggest stage, but the Pats can now join them. Seattle was a comeback as well, and hugely clutch, but this one required some serious character, and I think Brady set the tone for everybody else. He, like Grogan, never believes he is out of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes