PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs bashes the Patriots and accuses players of faking injuries (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hobbs: "guys were faking injuries"

I think it may be a dig at Seymour,and Watson. Both are perceived as tankers, true or not.

Looks like he is officially a Philly guy now, 100% transformed into a complaining beeyotch....just like his QB.

good luck Ellis, I used to like you.
I hear he was rocking a mullet and wearing stone washed jeans at that interview.

He should know about faking.. He's been faking he's an NFL cornerback his whole career.

Hobbs gutsed it out and played hurt here for years without complaint. Sure he overvalues his abilities but you cannot be an NFL CB if you don't think you can stop the best.

Hobbs self evaluation > Belichick's assessment >> many Patsfans Hobbit haters opinions

I'm in the middle. The Hobbit: a capable but not upper echelon starter who would still start on the Pats opening day with Springs an enigma.

I believe it was Reiss that said Hobbs would be about #5 on the depth chart with this team. In doing so, he proved once again that his strong suit is not analysis.

I believe it was Reiss that said Hobbs would be about #5 on the depth chart with this team. In doing so, he proved once again that his strong suit is not analysis.

I'm slightly shocked at that if so.

As a Pats fan, I thank Hobbs for playing hurt and giving his all, and I wish him well, except in SBs, with the Eagles.

I'm slightly shocked at that if so.

As a Pats fan, I thank Hobbs for playing hurt and giving his all, and I wish him well, except in SBs, with the Eagles.

Admittedly, I'm taking the word of a fellow poster, which is an exercise fraught with peril, but:

Hehe--dont get worked up, I usually don't do this. I was reading Reiss' column recently and he said that Ellis Hobbs would be the 5th or 6th? CB on the Pats. I laughed so hard reading this that I had to check the Philly boards to see how my man Ellis was doing. And then voila!

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/262920-eagles-fans-already-ripping-ellis-hobbs.html#post1468497

Last edited:
The fact that Hobbs is being quoted about his former team speaks volumes to me about his personality...and the fact he would have never fit in here as a nickle/returner role player.

Reiss might have said that going into training camp, but he certainly isn't saying it now. He has been very critical of the secondary, in particular the CBs, the last few weeks. He might say Hobbs would start now. I think he expected Springs to be healthy, Wheatley to return to his pre-injury form, and Whilhite to take a much farther progression from last year than he has.

Hobbs is challenging Brown for the starting job in Philly. Hobbs wanted a contract extension. Hobbs thinks that some Patriots players were feigning injuries.

I see nothing to bash Hobbs about. Then again, when has that stopped any of the lynch mobs in this place?

Hmm... I'd be shocked. Reggie Wayne made Hobbs look pretty silly in the preseason. OTOH, Wayne is a pretty decent receiver.

Reiss might have said that going into training camp, but he certainly isn't saying it now. He has been very critical of the secondary, in particular the CBs, the last few weeks. He might say Hobbs would start now. I think he expected Springs to be healthy, Wheatley to return to his pre-injury form, and Whilhite to take a much farther progression from last year than he has.

Which, IMO, is the peril involved in judging players too harshly in the preseason. To me, Wilhite hasn't looked bad at all. It's kind of tough to evaluate a cornerback when they're playing soft zone all day in a vanilla defense. I don't think you can say definitively where Wilhite is in his progression until we see him during the regular season.

Hmm... I'd be shocked. Reggie Wayne made Hobbs look pretty silly in the preseason. OTOH, Wayne is a pretty decent receiver.

I posted it elsewhere and I stand by it: With Springs on the sidelines, Hobbs would be this team's #1 CB right now. That's a long way from "#5 or #6", and I think it's hysterically funny given the pounding this board has given Hobbs over the past couple of seasons.

Watching this board's reaction to Bodden get smoked deep was fascinating for just that reason. Remember that these DBs are looking this bad even with pressure on the QBs.

Last edited:
I posted it elsewhere and I stand by it: With Springs on the sidelines, Hobbs would be this team's #1 CB right now. That's a long way from "#5 or #6", and I think it's hysterically funny given the pounding this board has given Hobbs over the past couple of seasons.

Watching this board's reaction to Bodden get smoked deep was fascinating for just that reason. Remember that these DBs are looking this bad even with pressure on the QBs.

Here I disagree DI. Boddin is a clear #! and a big upgrade. At best Hobbs would be the #2, and even there I think Wilhite has shown he has the skills to go by him, just not the experience.

Hobbs ideal position IMHO would be the inside slot CB, the nickel back, who is a virtual starter. He had neither the size nor strength to deal, on a consistent basis, with the bigger outside WRs in the league right now. Unfortunately BB never had the CB depth to put him in that position.

Hobbs earned EVERY dollar he got in his stay. He gave 100% at CB, plus was one of the best KO returners in the league. He was a VALUE pick. But as its been mentioned, he had an inflated opinion of his own worth, and was traided, BEFORE it became an issue.

If used as the nickel, I think he'll do well in Philly, however when it comes to getting the big bucks when his contract ends, I think he'll be disappointed with the offers he gets.

In the meantime, the Pats are better situated at CB than they have been in the BB era.

Nothing.

Well, nothing except that Harrison was a star safety for the Chargers coming off one season of being injured and Hobbs was an adequate cornerback coming off several years of that level of performance.

Oh yeah, the teams situations were completely different - one rebuilding with a new coach still trying to change the team's losing culture, the other a perennial contender with the most established coach in the game trying to win now.

On second thought, unless you buy Ellis Hobbs wildly inflated opinion of himself, I really don't see the same situations.
I see what you are saying about the team. I was looking at it from the player's perspective, which is the only way to judge a person's actions.

Whether a person was treated right or wrong is dependent on how that player was treated, not on his ability to tackle. That is the basic difference between your analysis and mine.

If you sacrificed something for your employer and he fired you, and someone else sacrificed something for his employer and was fired, I would see a parallel, and would not be surprised if you both reacted the same way, just as Harrison and Hobbs reacted the same way.

It really doesn't matter if you and the hypothetical someone worked in different industries, or held different positions, or had different qualifications. You both "played hurt" for your company and were unceremoniously dumped. That is the situation I find similar, and I see no reason why Hobb's comments should be judged any differently than Harrison's.

When did Bodden get smoked deep? On the incomplete to Santana Moss down the sideline? Much like w Ellis Hobbs - we can't be sure of the situation or the coverage. Its possible he was supposed to get safety help over the top, as Sanders was in that vicinity. On the completion to Moss earlier along the sideline, Bodden was right there, and came damn near close to picking it.

I liked Hobbs more than most and still think he's underrated, but so far, I like what I see out of Bodden. And Wilhite for that matter. The fact that the Patriots traded Hobbs, who was also our best kickoff returner, does tell me he was surpassed on the depth chart. Say what you want about them trading guys with contract disputes, but since the Branch trade, it hasn't happened, and probably won't. We held onto Asante when we could've cashed in, and we're playing Wilfork through a contract dispute. The team values the short term more than draft picks. They had a surplus at the DB position, and they traded a guy they thought was expendable. Let's hope it turns out to be the right move, but the impetus for the trade was Belichick valuing the other DBs more than Hobbs.

Last edited:

This probably was in reference to Ty Warren's double groin tears... who needs those to play D line anyways?

When did Bodden get smoked deep? On the incomplete to Santana Moss down the sideline? Much like w Ellis Hobbs - we can't be sure of the situation or the coverage. Its possible he was supposed to get safety help over the top, as Sanders was in that vicinity. On the completion to Moss earlier along the sideline, Bodden was right there, and came damn near close to picking it.

Yes, on that pass. And, I agree with you about the coverage, but Hobbs never got that benefit of the doubt from people here, even when BB all but stated that someone else had screwed up. As for the completion on the sideline, Bodden could have broken it up but he cut under the route trying to pick it off instead of just making the play.

I liked Hobbs more than most and still think he's underrated, but so far, I like what I see out of Bodden. And Wilhite for that matter. The fact that the Patriots traded Hobbs, who was also our best kickoff returner, does tell me he was surpassed on the depth chart. Say what you want about them trading guys with contract disputes, but since the Branch trade, it hasn't happened, and probably won't. We held onto Asante when we could've cashed in, and we're playing Wilfork through a contract dispute. The team values the short term more than draft picks. They had a surplus at the DB position, and they traded a guy they thought was expendable. Let's hope it turns out to be the right move, but the impetus for the trade was Belichick valuing the other DBs more than Hobbs.

I've got no problem with Bodden. It's Exhibition season, after all. I don't know if we'll see Cleveland Bodden or Lions Bodden, and that will make all the difference in the world once the games start to count, but my point is just that people were throwing parties when Hobbs was moved and he'd still be starting on this team if he were here and the season started today.

Here I disagree DI. Boddin is a clear #! and a big upgrade. At best Hobbs would be the #2, and even there I think Wilhite has shown he has the skills to go by him, just not the experience.

Hobbs ideal position IMHO would be the inside slot CB, the nickel back, who is a virtual starter. He had neither the size nor strength to deal, on a consistent basis, with the bigger outside WRs in the league right now. Unfortunately BB never had the CB depth to put him in that position.

Hobbs earned EVERY dollar he got in his stay. He gave 100% at CB, plus was one of the best KO returners in the league. He was a VALUE pick. But as its been mentioned, he had an inflated opinion of his own worth, and was traided, BEFORE it became an issue.

If used as the nickel, I think he'll do well in Philly, however when it comes to getting the big bucks when his contract ends, I think he'll be disappointed with the offers he gets.

In the meantime, the Pats are better situated at CB than they have been in the BB era.

Respectfully disagree, patfranken. Loved what they had in 2003 w/ Law and Poole on the corners and Asante as the nickel. Can make the case w/ Eugene Wilson as we all know he played FS but in the dime he was the 4th corner.

I guess I can see where Hobbs gets the attitude from. He sees guys like Randall Gay get a 4yr- $17.5m deal w/ $6.9m in guarantees. Not sure who is a better player- Gay or Hobbs. I guess I'd take Gay.

Ellis said about a dozen positive things about the Patriots and BB in multiple articles before this, so I wouldn't dismiss this so quickly and just demonize him.

He clearly did play hurt and was a warrior when he was here.

I also believe what he says about certain players not playing through pain, and we know he obviously wasn't referring to Brady.

He clearly did play hurt and was a warrior when he was here.

You might be right. Sometimes when he was playing with us I'd see a wide receiver zoom by him and I'd say to myself." Damn, Ellis looks like hes playing with two broken legs!";)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes