PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs bashes the Patriots and accuses players of faking injuries (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
funny this is the same guy that spoke in great terms of them in may.. I agree with Philp Rivers he is the sorriest CB in the leauge....

It's true, he "was just one guy before the next guy."

I have two enduring memories of Hobbs: his record kickoff return against the Green Beans, and Plexiglas Furnace blowing by him for the winning Super Bowl catch. Bottom line = he was ordinarily average.

I have two enduring memories of Hobbs: his record kickoff return against the Green Beans, and Plexiglas Furnace blowing by him for the winning Super Bowl catch. Bottom line = he was ordinarily average.

Mine is of him doing some wild celebration dance (on his own) having taclked someone 15 yards downfield on 3rd and 12

I figured it was only a matter of time until I read Hobbs say something not so glowing about the pats. He can't help but speak his mind :D

I don't really have a problem with what he said. I only have HS experience, but there's definitely those players who dog it and fake injury.

Also, he felt that he did really well and was treated as "just another guy". I fully believe he put his heart and soul into the Patriots. I also fully believe he played with some pretty nasty injuries. However, it didn't translate into the kind of production that the Patriots will pay for.

Ellis Hobbs was never going to be a big money player here, and he wants to be a big money player.

I agree with his opinions when looking at it from his point of view. I agree with what the Patriots did and how they handled the situation. I would probably feel like Hobbs if I were in his shoes.

What's the difference between Hobbs situation and Rodney Harrison's?

They both played hurt and then were let go by their team. That is no way to reward loyalty and they both knew it.

It's a business as we say, and BB and Shotty let their DBs go after playing hurt for a year. That's the right way to run an NFL franchise.

Both Harrison and Hobbs feel poorly used, justifiably so, and neither have any love for their old team.

Harrison is a better player, but it doesn't change the fact that Hobbs is in exactly the same situation.

I said in the past I liked Hobbs effort, not talking about his talent, his work on the field. He was a gutsy little player and I'm sure he did put 100% in because you could see it.

Talent wise though Ellis, you were expendable and the Pats got some value for you whilst they could.....Thats football today.

It's gonna be funny watching all the (former) Ellis Hobbs ball washers turn on him in here.

I've been telling you guys that he was a scrub for years. :)

Was never a fan of Ellis, spent too much time chasing, always thought he got too many props.. ordinarily average is appropo...

The article stated:

"The Eagles again have three starting cornerbacks and still only two starting positions."

If you think you have three starting cornerbacks, but the second one is Ellis Hobbs, and the third one is the guy Ellis Hobbs can't beat out, then you really have one starting cornerback, not three.

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned Hobbs deserves to be upset with the Pats. Without a doubt (in my mind) he played at as high a level as possible for him. He played injured and without complaint even though many times the media killed him. He was giving an enormous amount of responcibility when our defense was thin at DBs. Looking at it from his veiwpoint he gave the team everything he had.

As a Pats fan I understand why we was let go and reading between the lines it seemed like letting him go quickly avoided discipline issues later. Still I am glad we have 'business' men that will make this decesion because if I was the coach I could not.

Hobbs comments on players dogging it are a little comical to me. I am willing to bet that everyteam has players that use an injury to dog it. I would be very surprised if the Pats were easier on there players when it comes to this. I am willing to bet that all teams follow a pretty standard policy when dealing with injuries. If I am wrong on this I would be curious to know how much flexibilty is giving to teams when deciding who can play and who cannot.

Someone needs to give him a lesson in PR. He is coming across as a bitter person who is dissatisfied by the way his NFL career is progressing. No question he is pissed of about the way he was treated (by being traded) in New England. He feels that by playing with the injuries he had deserved a recipricol commitment ($$$) from the Pats. Obviously, the Pats felt differently.

There is no way you can compare Rodney to Hobbs. Rodney was a Pro Bowl SS who established himself and did make millions with SD. Hobbs' career is thrashing around because of inconsistient play and an inflated sense of self-worth by NFL standards.

Last edited:
Both Harrison and Hobbs feel poorly used, justifiably so, and neither have any love for their old team.

:wha:

When did Harrison say that?

What's the difference between Hobbs situation and Rodney Harrison's?

They both played hurt and then were let go by their team. That is no way to reward loyalty and they both knew it.

It's a business as we say, and BB and Shotty let their DBs go after playing hurt for a year. That's the right way to run an NFL franchise.

Harrison is a better player, but it doesn't change the fact that Hobbs is in exactly the same situation.

WTF are you talking about? This is the NFL. You are only allowed to carry 53 men on your roster. The team is trying to win games, not make friends. The jobs and livelihoods of the other 52 players depend on it, and being nice and doing a favor for one guy is a disservice to the rest.

There isn't enough space to carry guys just b/c they were loyal or played through injuries - probably half the team is doing that.

It's a contact sport and it's player's job in the NFL to play through pain.

Last edited:
I don't have that much of a problem with what he said. Other players (Milloy, Gash, Terry Glenn, etc.) have said far worse. Hobbs got too much crap when he was here and I guess he will continue to even after he is gone.

I never got why polarizing Patriots (Hobbs, Reche Caldwell, McDaniels, etc.) still get so much hate after they leave the Patriots. Most of these guys did give their hearts and souls to this team while they were here and were more victims of expectations than their actual performance. Hobbs wasn't as bad as Deltha O'Neal was, but there isn't the anger to him.

I thought Hobbs was far better than a lot of people gave credit to. I blame a lot of the problems last year in the secondary, not just Hobbs, in general due to the lack of pressure of the front seven. When a QB can drop back and have enough time to eat a sandwich before he throws the ball, even a shutdown CB will get burnt. There is only so long you can cover a guy. I'll tell you right now. If the Pats don't improve the pass rush from last season, Bodden, Springs, Wilhite, Wheatley, and/or Butler will look like Hobbs did last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back