PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hindsight being 20/20 are the Patriots the biggest LOSERS of the 2019 draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Are the Patriots LOSERS of the 2019 draft?

• Yes

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little early for this but not a great draft so far. I still have high hopes for Harry and Williams.

All those guys are gonna blow their knees next year. Belichik knows that and those teams will be paying dead money for the remainder of their contracts.

9D Chess.

I think it’s better to wait to really be able to analyze a draft. Of course you can see how things are trending in year one or year two, but the full picture emerges later.

I used watch to see how Kiper graded the Pats drafts because I found it comical watching how he would seemingly always have to regrade their drafts a year or two later.

For the 2019 season? Yes, it was a disaster and there’s no argument against it. Not spreading your risk at WR when it was an absolute need for an aging QB but rather relying only on one WR in the draft was comical. Drafting a CB in the 2nd when that could’ve been addressed the following year and ignoring WR/TE was ridiculous. Let’s also not forget the disaster trade for Sanu for a 2nd round pick. Holy crap that was bad!

If Brady leaves, these moves were a big reason why.

So, judge the average player 2 years after they leave the league?

https://careertrend.com/how-long-is-the-average-career-of-an-nfl-player-3032896.html
That was my point on my comment. 70% of drafted players don’t make the team or become a bust. Some are strong from the start while sputtering in a few years. Some are slow from the start but become decent players. The Draft is a crap shoot. Out of the 30% that do make it. Those players get circulated throughout the league for the next 10-15 years.

So yes you cannot accurately judge a player until his fifth year. Reason. Most don’t make it through the second to third year

So, judge the average player 2 years after they leave the league?

How Long Is the Average Career of an NFL Player?
No, judge a draft after a period of time so there will be more clarity. Players' stories don't always get totally written after their rookie season.

Like, the Pats had this receiver, I forget his name, but he had like 700 career receiving yards entering his fifth season...turned out OK though...

I think it’s better to wait to really be able to analyze a draft. Of course you can see how things are trending in year one or year two, but the full picture emerges later.
So for the 75% of the players not even on the team 5 years after the draft what grade do you give them?

Disappointing rookie seasons but damn. Let’s give them more than one season.

So for the 75% of the players not even on the team 5 years after the draft what grade do you give them?
Wherever players are or what they’re doing, the more time has passed the clearer picture you’ll have of the draft.

Honestly, I’m a little puzzled by the pushback on this, it’s obviously true. Doesn’t mean you can’t hot take away the second the draft ends if you want.

Wherever players are or what they’re doing, the more time has passed the clearer picture you’ll have of the draft.

Honestly, I’m a little puzzled by the pushback on this, it’s obviously true. Doesn’t mean you can’t hot take away the second the draft ends if you want.
Yeah obviously the more time you have to watch the player the better you’re able to judge them. That being said you generally know what a guy far earlier than 5 years. I don’t know any exact numbers but I’d guess somewhere around 75% of your draft class is not on the team for 5 years. Look at our 2014 class. Only James White is left. You really think we have to wait till now to say that Dominique Easley is a bad pick?

Free agency/acquiring veterans was the problem, not the draft....the jury is still out on what this draft will be as it should be

they were the musical chairs with the veteran WRs was a much bigger joke. When did a rookie wr contribute to a Super Bowl season? Mitchell?

now how about veteran acquisitions as a whole last season?jamie Collins is it.....now compare that to successful seasons

I'm just not ready to label someone a bust or evaluate a draft until 2-3 seasons later. Luckily my opinion doesn't mean ****.

I also highly doubt that a lot of these WRs who looked amazing on other squads would look that good that fast if they were drafted here. I actually sort of hate that aspect of our system but it's impossible to argue with the results.

To be fair Hardman had only 6 catches over the last 7 games. This is half as many as Harry had. :eek:
ahh come on. he (mecole hardman) was a Tyreek Hill insurance policy in the draft. when Hill went out Hardman was asked to contribute AND he did. The last 7 games you refer to Hilll came back 1 game in and put Hardman on the bench effectively. lets be fair for the sake of it.

our needed contribution wasnt there, unfortunately

Last edited:
Did the Patriots get too cute with their wheeling and dealing or are their scouts just THAT BAD?
I wonder where the knife's edge is between drafting for need versus overall skill. For years we've been drafting guys who feel like they fit a specific niche on the roster that complements our most talented players.

With the team growing older the past few years and starting to lose the talent edge, this style of drafting isn't working since there are larger needs at stake. Complimentary players aren't effective when you don't have a dominant core any longer. We've also seemed to take more hit and miss players that were high risk/high reward and had the misfortune of most not panning out.

If we are entering a rebuild, do people believe we need to shift the draft mentality towards overall talent rather than need? And if so, would revamping the scouting department be crucial?

NKeal Harry couldn't get separation from second, third and fourth corners... And he caught exactly 50% of his targets. Harry will be lucky to mimic Brandon Tate level of production

We’ll see how it plays out? How did Hakeem Butler do? Andy Isabella? Paris Cambell? We gonna give them another year or are they just busts too?

NKeal Harry couldn't get separation from second, third and fourth corners... And he caught exactly 50% of his targets. Harry will be lucky to mimic Brandon Tate level of production
The hope is the injury played a huge part in that.

Not even then..give drafts 5 years.

We have morphed into an ADD nation, with little patience for long term strategies and subsequent evaluation.. while it may not take 5 years the addition and impact of Cajuste and Froholdt may be noticeable sooner rather than later..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes