PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower faces a long healing; recovery span 6-7 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you're saying that a restructure could in theory, happen---only if the team really isn't interested in actually saving money?

In other words, you've reminding us that a short-term solution does exist, which wouldn't really solve anything, but would still address the 2015 salary cap in the way that if often seen via a "restructuring," and not a real pay cut.

What would you place the odds of that happening at, out of curiosity?

If you asking me the likelihood of Mayo's contract being restructured with at least some of his $6.25M salary being moved to bonus, I would say the probability is more than 50-50. The open question is whether it would be done in time to help in signing a free agent.

If we wait until June, after he passes his physical, than the salary over minimum would be converted to a combination of signing bonus, roster bonus and NTLBE incentives. I think that he would be given the opportunity to earn ALL of his presently contracted salary if he played enough. If you added a $750K pay cut, you'd have what we can sign right now. After all, if Mayo is healthy enough to pass a physical then he'll be active for every game and be paid bonuses.

I wouldn't think that most here would agree with you. Most here are more than happy to have one of the top 1-2 shutdown corners in the league.

What cap costs are you suggesting for a 3-year contract (in addition to the $5M than cannot change)? I know that you wouldn't want fake 4th and 5th years to push cap costs into the future.

Would $12M, $16.5M, $16.5M work for you? That would leave us EVEN with the 2015 cap with 10 free agents unsigned.

?????

I've suggested that he be signed for $750K less and put his $4.5M of guaranteed money into a bonus. You considered the idea absurd. Saving $750K of new money and $3.0M of cap money wasn't enough for you.

What are you suggesting for Mayo?

I wasn't even coming close to speaking about you personally, so I'm not sure why you've quoted this post? I never said your idea was "absurd" whatsoever.

For the record, your idea is fine---I simply asked what you felt the percentage was of that actually happening. I personally feel as though it's fairly low, since Mayo is not providing current value on that pact.

What cap costs are you suggesting for a 3-year contract (in addition to the $5M than cannot change)? I know that you wouldn't want fake 4th and 5th years to push cap costs into the future.

Would $12M, $16.5M, $16.5M work for you? That would leave us EVEN with the 2015 cap with 10 free agents unsigned.

Do you not agree that "most here would not agree" with moving on from Revis---or do you wish to cut him, as the poster suggested?

For the record, it was you who made the prediction that we'd sign all of our free agents, not me. I never once believed that they'd be able to even sign both Revis/McCourty, let alone everyone else. I felt it was the same as any other year where key players would have to be moved on from.

If you really want my opinion, I actually think you went a bit high on the 3 yr/45m (15 AAV) projection, although I agree that they'd be much more concerned with having it a bit front loaded due to needing to spend more cash in the next 2 years (plus the fact that Revis is getting older, and I'm not crazy about a 5 yr deal in the first place). As we know, it's going to be about the guaranteed money anyway. Perhaps something in the middle with a 4 yr deal and comparable AAV?

Last edited:
Again...I'm starting to think that you have me confused with someone else. Why are you quoting posts that were in response to other posters?

Do you not agree that "most here would not agree" with moving on from Revis---or do you wish to cut him, as the poster suggested?

I think that we should sign Revis for 5/$70M with cap hits of $5M,$14M,$16M,$17M, and $18M. The bonus would be $20M and $20M of guarantees ($4M each year) for a total of $40M of guarantees. The last year might be guaranteed only for injury.

The 2015 cap savings would be $15M.

I think that we should sign Revis for 5/$70M with cap hits of $5M,$14M,$16M,$17M, and $18M. The bonus would be $20M and $20M of guarantees ($4M each year) for a total of $40M of guarantees. The last year might be guaranteed only for injury.

The 2015 cap savings would be $15M.

Personally, I couldn't imagine why something like that wouldn't work for Revis, seeing as how Sherman's new deal was 4/56 with the same 40m guaranteed money.

I would expect him to run and sign it myself, but we'll have to see. I couldn't imagine any scenario where that wouldn't be considered "good enough," unless I'm greatly underestimating the greed factor, which is certainly possible.

Why can't Mayo redo his deal while injured?Because all NFL contracts have this clause - Player represents to Club that he is and will maintain himself in excellent physical condition

Why can't Mayo redo his deal while injured?Because all NFL contracts have this clause - Player represents to Club that he is and will maintain himself in excellent physical condition

Yes, Mayo can negotiate while injured. I suspect that such negotiations are going on. He would have a significant advantage, given the $4.5M injury guarantee. When Mayo is healthy, the advantage shifts.

Hightower out 6-7 months

@jeffphowe: Hightower played with a torn labrum. His recovery is 6-7 months, per source. That timetable gets him back Aug. 10-Sept. 10 (season opener).

Warrior.

I wonder if this will have an effect on Mayo possibly taking a pay cut.

It appears to me they'll be in the market for LB's at the draft and via free agency. I guess I'd better brush up on who's out there.

And, to think that Hightower made that 1st down stop of Lynch with one arm.

The way that Hightower progressed in the past year/year and a half or so has been nothing short of remarkable in my opinion. Very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick