PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hernandez' ball security and durability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Hernandez' ball security: Ongoing issue, or just a little technique matter a young player will outgrow?

Hernandez' durability: Can he hold up to big hits, or does he have to sacrifice some versatility to be a little safer?

My point is that Hernandez has the talent to block (not like an OT, but at least like an RB), run a good variety of routes, and occasionally run the ball. But that's a little bit different from saying he can do all these things on a steady basis.

He only had one fumble this season. I wouldn't consider it a huge problem.

He has had a few close calls though. I think he just gets a little lazy with the ball trying to make a move and it should be correctable. I do worry about concussions (that was a nasty shot he took towards the end of the championship game), and durability in general with his inability to ease up a bit and not take the punishment for a yard or two. It does make for entertaining football though.

In any case, I don't think this guy has any major physical limitations, his problems are not anything good coaching can't solve.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Although not great with ball security, he's come a long way this year. He's much less careless with the ball when trying to make a play. If his hands were a little better, he'd be sick.

My only (very small) beef with Hernanadez is how he'll be running down the sideline and then instead of ducking out of bounds or just trying to keep going to the end zone, he'll cut back inside and get hit. He did that a few times this past season...he's not Welker who can make all kinds of people miss.

If that is our biggest problem with out TE2, I'd say we're in good shape.

Nothing to worry about with Hernandez, although I want him to make sure he catches the ball first before trying to make a play.

Hernandez needs to stop with the drops! That's all.

Hernandez' ball security: Ongoing issue, or just a little technique matter a young player will outgrow?

Hernandez' durability: Can he hold up to big hits, or does he have to sacrifice some versatility to be a little safer?

My point is that Hernandez has the talent to block (not like an OT, but at least like an RB), run a good variety of routes, and occasionally run the ball. But that's a little bit different from saying he can do all these things on a steady basis.
Not sure where youir concern is coming from. He fumbled once this year, and I don't know what makes him any more likely to not hold up to a hit than anyone else.

My only (very small) beef with Hernanadez is how he'll be running down the sideline and then instead of ducking out of bounds or just trying to keep going to the end zone, he'll cut back inside and get hit. He did that a few times this past season...he's not Welker who can make all kinds of people miss.

I consider that a strength. Not a fan at all of running out of bounds to avoid a hit when there are more yards to be made, or in the case you describe a TD to be scored.

I consider that a strength. Not a fan at all of running out of bounds to avoid a hit when there are more yards to be made, or in the case you describe a TD to be scored.

There were several plays I can remember where if he had kept going down the sideline he would have picked up a TD or a ton more yards.

He's got massive mitts... but I truly believe he's got some trouble with the ability to hold on after the catch

There were several plays I can remember where if he had kept going down the sideline he would have picked up a TD or a ton more yards.

The poster was suggesting he should have stepped out of bounds instead of trying to make extra yards.
I know the play you are talking about, it was the long run vs Denver, where he cut back in. There weren't 'several' though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hernandez is a beast and I don't worry about his fumbles so this is a weird observation more than a criticism but has anyone ever noticed that he makes weird cuts with the ball sometimes? He'll have two guys running towards him from the right and cut into them or have an open field down one side and instead of just accelerating and getting 5 more yards at the end of the run he'll do like 2 cut back moves and only get 1 yard. Again not a criticism I just think his decisions while running are strange sometimes.

whoops, i didn't realize someone already pointed this out before my last post. Yeah, and it was definitely several times too, like a bad habit. Usually it happened at the end of a big catch or important play so everyone just glossed over it or didn't notice it cuz they were too busy celebrating. It's strange cuz he'll make a huge play and make a nasty run but then kind of give up more easy yards at the end. I think he tries to get too fancy putting on moves and over thinking it.

This definitely did happen several times throughout the season.

Last edited:

I think he is significantly better at making people miss than Welker, as far as run after the catch is concerned.

So the consensus is:

• Coachable hands/security (and they aren't bad now anyway)?
  • Coachable running decisions?

Makes sense to me.

He's got ball security issues, and his running style (not talking about going out of bounds or not, but about the way he runs when he first catches the ball) is going to subject him to a lot of hits. One's more teachable/fixable than the other.

Last edited:
The poster was suggesting he should have stepped out of bounds instead of trying to make extra yards.
I know the play you are talking about, it was the long run vs Denver, where he cut back in. There weren't 'several' though.

No, that poster said it better than I did. If he would have kept running he would have most likely had a TD but he'd do the cut back. And it happened enough times that I noticed it and I am by no means a film studier or anything.

However, these are incredibly minor quibbles and nit picking.

Time to spend time with the Juggs machine. It worked for Faulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST