PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here's the real reason why the Patriots might not be officially naming Matt Patricia offensive coordinator

This totally cuts both ways. Either one of these guys can interview any time they want for coaching staff jobs that are perceived as higher classifications - in this case, Coordinator jobs or HC jobs.
Note: Two coaches who flamed out spectacularly and are persona no grata in the league.....originating from a coaching tree that is steeped in failure (except for Belichick #1)
Maybe a desperate team with money issues might hire these already subsidized flops and attach a real title (3% likelihood)

Bill did these guys a solid here by not restricting their mobility.
Too funny. The HC who restricts/disallows interviews of his minions more than any other NFL exec suddenly has a heart.
Paying 10 cents on the dollar with no attached title has its limits (no mobility restrictions) yet I wonder if Bill has any concern teams will "snatch up" his "consultants" (3% concern)

Even more interesting is that this move circumvents the Rooney Rule for Coordinator positions since teams have to interview at least one minority candidate not currently with the team for Coordinator, HC, and designated position coaches, - QBs Coach, for example.
It certainly does and I'm surprised more vocal Rooney Rule proponents haven't objected to Bill's disregard for the spirit of the rule as originally intended
Give it time
Teams always shut down Bill's loophole exploitations (just a matter of time)
Belichick can keep Judge and Patricia right where they are and can still go out and hire Coordinators should he choose to do so, but would have to go through the Rooney Rule procedures and abide by the in-season language and permission to interview regulations.
Fact: Bill doesn't hire coordinators anymore nor title coaches acting in coordinator roles.
Likelihood Bill seeks outside coordinator.........3%
Reading the tea leaves: A Baby Belichick will get a Patriots coordinator title before an O coordinator ever gets appointed (on full wages)

How could any patriot fan be considered a “BB apologist”?
He has brought more success to this franchise than any HC/GM in the history of the sport. What is there to apologize for?
BB apologists regularly criticize moves by the Patriots, regularly pan draft picks and free agent signings.

Anything resembling measured pragmatic Patriot analysis and not hyperbolic BB bashing is considered “apologist” by the nuts from the TB12 echo chamber.
Who the hell are you two responding to? Maybe you should both complain to a mod and have every thread moved or closed down that doesn't jerk off Bill. Oh yeah, you're already doing that.

Sorry @SammyBlueCat, but I can't seem to get more than a page into any thread here that doesn't include this same happy horsesh!t.

Anyway, back to the topic. From what I've seen, this move by the Pats is keeping Judge and Patricia's salaries at the level they belong but it won't matter if the team struggles.

Offensive Coordinator Matt Patricia sounds putrid. Hasn't officially worked on the offensive side of the ball since 2005 (in a marginal compacity). Then suddenly calling plays for an offense with a second year quarterback? Doesn't compute.

The majority of the success of the offense is coming down to the development of Mac Jones regardless. And the majority of that development is coming down to him. If he's a strong leader with a vision for the offense then he'll be a large part of coordinating the offense. Per usual the quarterback is the key.

Ultimately, although preferably Patricia and Judge wouldn't have significant roles, I think the offense is going to be fine. There's much more uncertainty with the defense.
I try not to make judgements until I see the team play each season. I think the negativity about the defense stems from the historic meltdown they had in the playoffs. Hopefully they'll fix that this year.

Whenever I think of Patricia two things come to mind. One is his wearing of the Goodell clown shirt and the other was his embarrassing remarks to one of the reporters in Detroit.

I was impressed with Judge's ability on ST's but that didn't translate well in NJ.

Sounds like BB is heavily involved with the offense.

OC by committee.
Should be interesting. I don't believe Bill has ever done this to this level with the O. He had Charlie when he first began in 2000 and then groomed Josh.

I have to say I find it intriguing. I have little confidence in Patricia or Judge and it is clear Bill feels Mac has come into the season ultra prepared. Bill also knows that how he will be viewed in terms of the dynasty narrative will be based on how far he can get with Mac. Perhaps he didn't want to leave that in anyone's hands but his own.

If this offense comes out flying and buttoned up, I will have another level of admiration for Bill.

One thing though that I don't think is being mentioned enough is how is the D going to perform? Bill had to step in midseason last year. Will he have the bandwidth to do that this year if needed?

I try not to make judgements until I see the team play each season. I think the negativity about the defense stems from the historic meltdown they had in the playoffs. Hopefully they'll fix that this year.

Whenever I think of Patricia two things come to mind. One is his wearing of the Goodell clown shirt and the other was his embarrassing remarks to one of the reporters in Detroit.

I was impressed with Judge's ability on ST's but that didn't translate well in NJ.
Not to make excuses, but the scuttle on the playoff game was the Pats knew they were outclassed and also short handed due to Covid. Does not excuse the terrible effort but I don't think it is indicative of this season. I hope not anyways.

Who the hell are you two responding to? Maybe you should both complain to a mod and have every thread moved or closed down that doesn't jerk off Bill. Oh yeah, you're already doing that.
You’ll have to be smart enough to scroll back to find out… I won’t hold my breath waiting for you to discover who.

Someone else refers to a “BB apologist” and you go after the posters who call out his BS instead of the guy who instigated it… oh yeah, because you believe in his kind of BS.

I’ve never complained to a mod nor asked for a thread to be moved… ever. I find haters to be laughably childish and unable to prop up their silly indefensible takes because the facts don’t support them.

Destroying bad takes (like this one) are easy, and the only people who don’t see it are the dullards who promote bad takes.

We are in year 3 now of the Brady/Bill split. I think most folks pretty much stay to their side of things. I have not been on the main board much given its the offseason but am starting to come back. For me personally, I think the intense emotions are over and I have settled into the fact that the Pats have found a decent, young QB with hopefully a bright future and Brady is doing his thing in Tampa. It is nice to have two teams to follow to be honest especially since Brady is in the NFC and really does not impact the Pats at all.

Even more interesting is that this move circumvents the Rooney Rule for Coordinator positions since teams have to interview at least one minority candidate not currently with the team for Coordinator, HC, and designated position coaches, - QBs Coach, for example.

Belichick can keep Judge and Patricia right where they are and can still go out and hire Coordinators should he choose to do so, but would have to go through the Rooney Rule procedures and abide by the in-season language and permission to interview regulations.
If what you're saying here is true then it's a REALLY bad look for Belichick. Beyond appearances it's blatantly underhanded and a matter likely worthy of investigation by the league. The NFL can't allow such a precedent that would open up same practices by other teams. Again, if what you're saying here is true.

If the offense goes South there is nobody to blame.

Same with the defense. We all know that Stevie is calling the shots, but there is a shadow of doubt that hes in full control.
To be clear, it's not that Patricia/Judge are getting paid a fraction of what NFL coaches normally get paid, it's just that their old teams are paying the old contracts out still.

I don't think that's the intent behind BB's decision. What I believe that this does is allow Judge and Patricia to continue to be paid at a HC rate, per their old contracts. Their HC contracts probably have some sort of offset language in the event that they get fired and find a new job with another team (e.g., the guarantees are revoked if they get hired as coordinators or HC for another team).

So in this way, instead of getting paid coordinator rates, both Patricia and Judge are getting paid at HC rates. I think that's a generous move.
Could be all three

everyone can relax now, I've decided to take time away from my busy schedule and call plays for the Patriots this season

Should be interesting. I don't believe Bill has ever done this to this level with the O. He had Charlie when he first began in 2000 and then groomed Josh.

He was also more involved with the offense in 2009 after McD left for Denver and before BOB really took over the OC role…

You’ll have to be smart enough to scroll back to find out… I won’t hold my breath waiting for you to discover who.

Someone else refers to a “BB apologist” and you go after the posters who call out his BS instead of the guy who instigated it… oh yeah, because you believe in his kind of BS.

I’ve never complained to a mod nor asked for a thread to be moved… ever. I find haters to be laughably childish and unable to prop up their silly indefensible takes because the facts don’t support them.

Destroying bad takes (like this one) are easy, and the only people who don’t see it are the dullards who promote bad takes.
I try to keep my Belichick criticism on the Brady forum, even though I totally disagree with that being offensive to anyone. Questioning coaches decisions should be part of the game.

I didn't see what prompted you to call anyone who still wants to talk about Brady a 'Benedict Arnold' so I likely have that person on ignore.

I try to keep my Belichick criticism on the Brady forum, even though I totally disagree with that being offensive to anyone. Questioning coaches decisions should be part of the game.

I didn't see what prompted you to call anyone who still wants to talk about Brady a 'Benedict Arnold' so I likely have that person on ignore.
I keep my criticism of BB right here, I let it out when warranted... what I don't do is become a Buc's fan simply because a player I like leaves. I also say "acquiring player X was a mistake," I don't turn every thread into a diatribe about how BB sucks, can't draft, always has sucked and was propped up by a player he handpicked in the draft and developed from a rookie.

If a poster chooses to go to the echo chamber that is the TFB page thats their prerogative... but if they become a Buc's fan by proxy then they're Benedict Arnolds in my eyes. If that means I get canceled/ignored by those snowflakes then so be it... they're Bucs fans anyhow, I could care less. A year from now they'll be rooting for Blaine Gabbart.... we don't want them back... stay in Tampa.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back