PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harry to Chicago for 2024 7th rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acting like Rambo last year is what got him hurt, fighting for another yard is what caused the fumble last week. I want Harry to understand the season is a marathon and not a sprint, some fans here should learn that as well.

His yards after stats look small because of small sample size and a couple short gainers. He has caught multiple slants, seam routes and some back shoulder throws downfield. Stop actively searching for something wrong and what you'll see is a big physical athletic WR who has no issues "separating."

Feed that man, keep him healthy, watch him thrive.

Holy cow! Phil Olsen? There's a name out of ancient history. He was drafted in 1970 by the Boston Patriots! His brother, Merlin Olsen, turned out to be pretty good. Phil Olsen was drafted by UNH legend George Sauer who was the first GM of the NYJ.

I pray that you can let go of your disappointment about Phil Olsen.
No disappointment at all. Just pointing out to some that while N'Keal Harry was certainly a bad first round pick, he is certainly not the only one or possibly even the worst one. I think people inferring that Harry is the worst pick in the history of organized team sports (I am being facetious) need a little perspective. Yes, Harry was very bad, but Phil Olsen a number 4 overall was at least as bad and so was Dennis Byrd. Especially with Byrd being informed of the draft choice while recovering from major knee surgery. Kudos to Byrd for at least rehabbing enough to play a year for the Pats during the dark ages as far as knee rehab goes. Again just trying to add a little perspective. As bad as Harry was, and he was bad, he was not the worst in team/nfl/world history.

Yeah, Let's forget about Ryan Leaf, who was debated with Peyton Manning Crazily.
Seriously?

They MISS, it happens EVERY YEAR, EVEN TOP 2, OBVIOUSLY.

Yeah, Let's forget about Ryan Leaf, who was debated with Peyton Manning Crazily.
Seriously?

They MISS, it happens EVERY YEAR, EVEN TOP 2, OBVIOUSLY.
The Colts took Manning though lol. We took Harry when we literally could have tripped with that pick and got a stud who would be a franchise WR for 5-7 years

The Colts took Manning though lol. We took Harry when we literally could have tripped with that pick and got a stud who would be a franchise WR for 5-7 years
What does that even mean?
I just put a prime example of a Common mistake, and you dump Harry at 32 in the SAME VEIN?
SERIOUSLY?

BTW, how many OTHER TEAMS watched DK go by, if he was as you guys say, he should've been in the top 10, yet he's lucky he made the 2nd rd.
Everyone is so smart a year AFTER the draft, I see it constantly on here, it's fkn pathetic.

Thanks

If Harry makes the pro bowl this year, will he still be considered a bust?
No but what it does mean is the NEP did far worse than make a bad draft pick. It would mean they completely failed at maximizing the talent and abilities of a 1st rd pick.

Thanks

No but what it does mean is the NEP did far worse than make a bad draft pick. It would mean they completely failed at maximizing the talent and abilities of a 1st rd pick.
Or it means Harry finally got “it”. Or it means 5 games of Brady, and a year of Cam soured Harry on the organization or the organization on him.

What part is the joke, the trade? We got a draft pick for him and got immediate cap relief, for a guy that was about to get cut. That's called making the best of it and moving on, something that BB does exceedingly well.
He should; he's had enough practice doing so.
You're right, BB should be focused on pondering all the under-performing draft picks the Patriots have ever made, even the ones before his time going back to the 1960s, just like this board does, instead of making the best of it and moving on.

Or it means Harry finally got “it”. Or it means 5 games of Brady, and a year of Cam soured Harry on the organization or the organization on him.
We don’t have to worry about that hypothetical, though. My dead grandmother has a better chance of hitting the Powerball.

So when a first round pick who has been taking up a roster spot gets traded we are supposed to what, ignore it? We are in the dullest period of the NFL calendar of course it is going to be discussed and of course people will propose what ifs. You and your sunshine band like to cry over every post you don't like instead of just ignoring it. If you ignored the opinions you don't like there wouldn't be a back and forth and then you would have nothing to cry about.
It's like sitting down to a nice meal a family member has cooked for you and saying, remember that time you cooked something with expensive ingredients you thought would be good but was really meh? Then telling them you think it's OK to discuss that at length because it's a slow time of the year and you can't think of anything better to discuss, like all the great meals they've made over the years, including many made with ingredients they got at Dollar Tree.

I agree - that too.

Highly unlikely as I can't think of a player in 20 years who when given the chance(s) failed here but went on to have a very good NFL career elsewhere.

I agree - that too.

Highly unlikely as I can't think of a player in 20 years who when given the chance(s) failed here but went on to have a very good NFL career elsewhere.
That’s because that total number for skill position guys under BB = 0. They fail here and fail elsewhere because, at the end of the day, they suck. Could be for a number of reasons. Harry’s seems to be the fact that he is not very elusive against man compounded with the fact that was either unable or unwilling to learn the offense. He’s cheeks and he’s gone. We have an upgrade in Parker for as long as he’s able to stay healthy.

Our good friend Reiss chimes in on the Harry giveaway, 2019 disastrous draft, lack of top 10 talent on the team, etc. What a hater. Lol

I guess he shouldn't talk about these things either. Maybe he belongs in the Brady forum for daring to bring up past mistakes.

If Harry makes the pro bowl this year, will he still be considered a bust?
He's a bust, but it's funny how fans blame the player when it's the person that selected him that should be at fault.

We saw flashes of what he could possibly do like the game against the Seahawks in 2020 making tough grabs and when he caught a deep pass against Colts which the game may have been already out of reach. However, we saw him drop some easy passes, get outmuscled by smaller guys and had lot of dumb plays from him which I listed in a previous post. From draft night, he just doesn't seem like a very bright or motivated guy. The writing was on the wall when he told a reporter this offseason or last that he felt no pressure as a 1st round pick to perform.

In his defense though, were the Pats using him to the best of his WR abilities? I would say no. In fact, I've griped since day 1 that the Pats were badly misusing him with the excessive/predictable jet sweeps, short passes in trash and wasting space on the field as a WR to "block". With that being said, he should get more opportunities in Chicago and I'll have my eye on him to see how they use him. In the end, if he doesn't make it in Chicago, his career is most likely over.

What does that even mean?
I just put a prime example of a Common mistake, and you dump Harry at 32 in the SAME VEIN?
SERIOUSLY?

BTW, how many OTHER TEAMS watched DK go by, if he was as you guys say, he should've been in the top 10, yet he's lucky he made the 2nd rd.
Everyone is so smart a year AFTER the draft, I see it constantly on here, it's fkn pathetic.

Thanks
It means that even if there was a debate between the two best QB's in the class like their usually always is, the Colts ended up making the right move that was widely considered even at the time to be the safer bet. Leaf was always viewed as the riskier QB who might be better if a lot of things go right. There was also nobody worth drafting in that round besides Manning and Leaf at QB, as evidence that the next QB was picked at the 60 some picks later.

By comparison there was 1 WR drafted ahead of Harry. That was Marquis Brown. 4 Picks after Harry was Pro Bowler Deebo Samuels. Later in the second round were AJ Brown and Mecole Hardman. Then at the end of the round was DK Metcalf. That's 3 guys at that same position where all of them ended up being a better pick ups within 32 picks of Harry. Then Diontae Johnson was drafted two spots after Harry.

You are comparing a scenario where there were 2 viable QB's that high in the draft and the team in control picking correctly vs a team where there were 5 WR's drafted in the next 34 picks that all ended up being Pro Bowlers and the team that could have picked any one of them ended up picking the only bust. One team had 50-50 odds and picked correctly. One had an 83% chance of getting a pro WR and got the only WR out of the first drafted who was a total flop.

It's not the same. It's a terrible comparison. Literally any teams fanbase would be sick over blowing a scenario like that (especially when that team has struggled at WR ever since). You don't even need to "smart a year AFTER the draft" to see how bad a miss that was. Stevie Wonder could have reached into a hat of all the top 6 projected receivers at that point in the draft and got a better outcome than we did.

Like you don't have to defend every single mistake the Patriots make.

You are comparing a scenario where there were 2 viable QB's that high in the draft and the team in control picking correctly vs a team where there were 5 WR's drafted in the next 34 picks that all ended up being Pro Bowlers and the team that could have picked any one of them ended up picking the only bust. One team had 50-50 odds and picked correctly. One had an 83% chance of getting a pro WR and got the only WR out of the first drafted who was a total flop.

It's not the same. It's a terrible comparison. Literally any teams fanbase would be sick over blowing a scenario like that (especially when that team has struggled at WR ever since). You don't even need to "smart a year AFTER the draft" to see how bad a miss that was. Stevie Wonder could have reached into a hat of all the top 6 projected receivers at that point in the draft and got a better outcome than we did.
Yes, you do have to wait a year after the draft. Clearly the team thought Harry had upside that would justify the pick. Turns out he did not.

To think they did not think he had upside suggests they like making :poop: picks, which is absurd.

Like you don't have to defend every single mistake the Patriots make.
And people don't have to make themselves seem so smaaaaht by :poop:ing on the team every chance they get.

Look, by trading Harry during the slowest part of the season for the least valuable draft pick there is shows the team knows they made a mistake. By doing it they are saying Harry fell behind Kristian Wilkerson and Tre Nixon in the depth chart. It's a move to clear the decks for the 2022 season. Hopefully we can do that instead of fixating on a bad 2018 draft.

It's like sitting down to a nice meal a family member has cooked for you and saying, remember that time you cooked something with expensive ingredients you thought would be good but was really meh? Then telling them you think it's OK to discuss that at length because it's a slow time of the year and you can't think of anything better to discuss, like all the great meals they've made over the years, including many made with ingredients they got at Dollar Tree.
It is nothing like that. It is more like you're reviewing a recipe book and saying well that one recipe sucked. Then some people try to argue with you and say "well other recipes have been good!". Like yeah? So what? That's not the recipe I am talking about. It is okay to acknowledge that the one recipe sucked while others came out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes