PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guyton... Fastest LB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guyton... Fatest LB?

my uncle brought this up......

so.... on obvious passing downs why not put him in OLB position for pressure purposes?

Because the QB can change the play if he thinks he can exploit it.

Didn't realize Guyton is the fatest LB?

Is he wearing a girdle? because he sure doesn't show the fat.

Didn't realize Guyton is the fatest LB?

Is he wearing a girdle? because he sure doesn't show the fat.

You gotta get HD man, he is clearly the fattest LB on the team, no question, get HD.

I still remember Mike Wright chasing that player down ... it was amazing how fast he was running.

Mike Wright is an interior lineman who has great speed ... you are what you are.

With more agility Mike would be making millions right now ... but he isn't.

I still remember Mike Wright chasing that player down ... it was amazing how fast he was running.

Mike Wright is an interior lineman who has great speed ... you are what you are.

With more agility Mike would be making millions right now ... but he isn't.

4 year, $7.5 million.

Despite his speed, think he has coverage issues..

Remember last year he had some issues with covering TE's...

Last edited:

my uncle brought this up......

so.... on obvious passing downs why not put him in OLB position for pressure purposes?
It's an interesting concept due to just what you pointed out, his speed, that was discussed at length this offseason. The consensus after much debate was that Guyton is not big enough to play OLB in a 3-4 defense. While he could fit as an OLB in a 4-3, if it's an obvious passing down then the team would probably have a nickel or dime sub package on the field; if Guyton is rushing then the middle of the field is probably going to be extremely vulnerable to a screen or short pass.

Fixed your thread title, since there seems to be more discussion of the fate of Guyton being the fattest OLB.

Last edited:
Rushing the QB has more to do with technique than just pure measurable figures (I'm looking at you Gholston)

Rushing the QB has more to do with technique than just pure measurable figures (I'm looking at you Gholston)

yeah buddy... but speed friggen helps:)

we have nothing to lose in trying it..

My uncle does not have HD when he made that assessment.

Because the QB can change the play if he thinks he can exploit it.

yeah he could..... but we could play mind games w/ any O if he is successful there on the outside. If used on the outside and he has proved himself.... and we put him on the outside as a decoy (at times) it would be a very advantageous position for us.

we have nothing to lose trying him their.

Guyton has played OLB before. The team knows what he can, and can't, do out there.

yeah he could..... but we could play mind games w/ any O if he is successful there on the outside. If used on the outside and he has proved himself.... and we put him on the outside as a decoy (at times) it would be a very advantageous position for us.

we have nothing to lose trying him their.

i have a problem thinking that I could possibly think even1 football thought that has not already crossed bill's mind many times over. But that's just me.

One thing I really like about his coaching is you have to prove it to Bill and your teammates that you deserve the job you get or got. I'm sure in practice and camps Guyton got plenty of opportunity to show he could be an OLB.

Guyton has played OLB before. The team knows what he could, and could not, do out there.

Sometimes, but not always, players develop.

The hesitancy to hit hard makes me a skeptic eager to be proven wrong here yet again

No, have Guyton give 12 yard cushions to pass catchers, then he can use his speed to make the tackle after the first down.

Guyton is one of the best coverage linebackers the Patriots have had in years.

For some reason I have a feeling Guyton would be a beast in the Colts' system.

Interesting you mention that. The Colts drafted Philip Wheeler who Guyton played behind at GT. They are similar LBs. Guyton was faster, but Wheeler had more production which is why he was drafted and Guyton was not. Classic Patriots pickup of an overshadowed player.

Guyton has played OLB before. The team knows what he can, and can't, do out there.

I don't know X's and O's the way most of you guys here do...but as far as what he COULD do out there:

When we are in a 3rd and long situation (like the 3rd and 18 we let the Bills convert) and unable to get any pressure on the QB, why not blitz a corner with over the top safety help and slide a speedster like Guyton into the flat to cover that receiver short?
At the very least, it'll limit the time a QB has to thrown the ball and go through his progressions.

Does that make any sense or am I simplifying it too much?

I actually do think i saw him rush the passer on at least one 3rd down situation against the Bills from the OLB position.

Sometimes, but not always, players develop.

The hesitancy to hit hard makes me a skeptic eager to be proven wrong here yet again.

Nicely put.

One of the most common faults I see among fans ~ and even more so among the ignoramuses of Hate Radio ~ is the inability to perceive the incredibly obvious reality that players can and often do improve immensely in their first 3-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back