PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gunner

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Am I the only one waiting for disaster every time he fields a kickoff? And of the first half he tries to take one from 9 yards deep in the end zone and gets bailed out by the fact that he stepped out. Did he honestly think there was any chance he would score a TD? I would say him fumbling would be a far more likely outcome than a TD based on the fact he seems to run full speed into the first guy that hits him on every return.

Then at the end of the game there is about 17 seconds of which we need every single 1 of those 17 and instead of fair catching he fields it and gets grabbed by the ankle and tries to fight for an extra half yard and wastes about 8 or 9 seconds. Cost us a chance to get potentially one more quick out underneath for 10ish yards to possibly get Cam's Hail Mary into the end zone.

Add this to the fact that he seems to bobble some catches on returns and I am ready to be done with him back there. I don't know who else they have to do it. I know Duggar has returned kicks in college and I am not sure about punts but I believe Byrd has returned punts as well so get one of those guys out there. I wanted Berrios over Gunner last year and while Berrios may not be a superstar by any means he can return punts and kicks and actually offers something in the passing game.

Honestly he is a waste of a roster spot right now. Showed some flashes of brilliance in TC, but since then has hardly had any receptions in games this year.....combine that with (as you say) poor ability with KR/PR and frequently making absolutely boneheaded decisions....makes me really wonder how/why he is here!

You are not. I get nervous every time he takes it out of the EZ. The way he runs and carries the ball always looks out of control and a turnover waiting to happen.
I’ve never seen anyone seem to run full speed into a brick wall the way he does. Doesn’t even seem to try and shake a guy just full bore into the first thing in his path.

I don't understand why anybody on any NFL team is returning kickoffs out of the end zone. Take the ball at the 25, which is usually better field position than where the return ends up, or within just a few yards. (I don't have any stats to back that statement up, but that is what it seems like to me).

The reward of a long return does not outweigh the risk of a fumble or penalty resulting in extremely poor field position, or a critical game-changing turnover.

Nervous when it comes to Gunner. Big talk as a receiver, even, in preseason. I know there was an injury - but I don’t think the talk was warranted.

I know that for a few years, people also said #11 was “wasting a roster spot”. But, I don’t think lightning will strike twice here.

Nervous when it comes to Gunner. Big talk as a receiver, even, in preseason. I know there was an injury - but I don’t think the talk was warranted.

I know that for a few years, people also said #11 was “wasting a roster spot”. But, I don’t think lightning will strike twice here.
Edelman was a contributor his rookie year.

Returning a kick from literally out the back of the end zone sure looks like a pretty clear indication that he was told to return it no matter what.
Doesn’t necessarily seem like a Bill thing to tell him.

Gunner is not any kind of threat and is really not a NFL caliber player. The fact that he is on this team and returning kicks is a joke! he is taking up a roster spot.
I agree.
However, apparently, in Bill's opinion, we have no one better as a returner.

Your observations are correct. He is awful. He needs to be cut and replaced.

Yep, this futile, Gee-golly-look-who-Bill-found-this-time-He's-a-Genius experiment with Gunner needs to continue on the Practice Squad,
Not on the 53...and absolutely NOT on the Game Day roster.

Bill needs to replace Gunner with Isaiah Ford...as in, like, yesterday...He did trade for the man, after all...

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back