PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0234.gif

Let me add everyone loves Gronk.
My take is that his family is concerned about him having another concussion.

Can you cite a source regarding clearing waivers for those classified as reserve/retired? There are tons of sources that say all players cut after the trade deadline must go through waivers, but nothing about those on the reserve/retirement list that I can find, including the NFL Operations website.

Regards,
Chris

It took some looking, but I found this:

2019-20 NFL Important Dates | NFL Football Operations
Oct. 30 Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons are subject to the waiver system for the remainder of the regular season and postseason.

and this:

NFL Waiver System Overview | NFL Football Operations
Once the waiver period starts each year through the trading deadline, a vested veteran — a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system if the club decides to release him. That means if a team decides to release a vested veteran, the league considers his contract to be terminated immediately and he is free to negotiate and sign with any other club. From the trading deadline through the end of the regular season, vested veterans are subject to the waiver process.

It would appear that this applies to someone like Gronk, but I can't say for sure that it does.

Edit: I see someone posted a videon on 10/11 explaining that Gronk has until the the business day before the Week 13 game to return to the Patriots. Not sure where this can be found in the NFL rules. :eek:

It took some looking, but I found this:

2019-20 NFL Important Dates | NFL Football Operations
Oct. 30 Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons are subject to the waiver system for the remainder of the regular season and postseason.

and this:

NFL Waiver System Overview | NFL Football Operations
Once the waiver period starts each year through the trading deadline, a vested veteran — a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system if the club decides to release him. That means if a team decides to release a vested veteran, the league considers his contract to be terminated immediately and he is free to negotiate and sign with any other club. From the trading deadline through the end of the regular season, vested veterans are subject to the waiver process.

It would appear that this applies to someone like Gronk, but I can't say for sure that it does.

Edit: I see someone posted a videon on 10/11 explaining that Gronk has until the the business day before the Week 13 game to return to the Patriots. Not sure where this can be found in the NFL rules. :eek:
I'm pretty confident this applies only to transfer of rights from one team to another. Pats retain Gronk's rights. Thus the Pats have until Tues after (before?) week 13 to activate him per league bylaws.

Regards,
Chris

“The love has been shown, for sure. No doubt about that. It was never really about that. But like I said I would have to be feeling it, mentally and physically,” Gronkowski explained. “It would need to be 10 days or a couple weeks of me just feeling it, like I need to go play football again. I don’t know how I would describe it. That’s what I’m trying to say. I’m enjoying myself right now. I don’t have that itch. If I had that itch I would go back. I would have to have that itch and it would have to be a continuous itch. It’s not like I see Tom [Brady> throw a nice touchdown pass and, like man if that’s me and for like the five second itch. It has to be a continuous itch, like every day, every week. It has to be a long, continuous itch.”

“The love has been shown, for sure. No doubt about that. It was never really about that. But like I said I would have to be feeling it, mentally and physically,” Gronkowski explained. “It would need to be 10 days or a couple weeks of me just feeling it, like I need to go play football again. I don’t know how I would describe it. That’s what I’m trying to say. I’m enjoying myself right now. I don’t have that itch. If I had that itch I would go back. I would have to have that itch and it would have to be a continuous itch. It’s not like I see Tom [Brady> throw a nice touchdown pass and, like man if that’s me and for like the five second itch. It has to be a continuous itch, like every day, every week. It has to be a long, continuous itch.”
he is scratching like mad right now

10 days is all it will take. His own words after he said no.

Right back on the fence.
I for one think the odds are very low that he does NOT come back this year

I bet it’s his back.

Or his arm or head, or knee. That guy took tons of punishment. Stay retired and function like a semi-healthy person when you are 40.

Hey @Triumph you clicked "X" what exactly do you disagree with?
Did you watch the video? He clearly said "NO"...
The man's actual words do not agree with your ongoing fantasy.
That a tough pill to swallow.

I guess he is arguing that Gronk really was not on WEEI. It was an imposter. Or he is just a dink.

I guess he is arguing that Gronk really was not on WEEI. It was an imposter. Or he is just a dink.
Gronk said he needs TEN days of wanting to come back before he would LOL "ten"

That is happening in 2019

Or his arm or head, or knee. That guy took tons of punishment. Stay retired and function like a semi-healthy person when you are 40.
he's playing
@DaBruinz oh he's playing it's on
@rochrist Oh.. it's on

Last edited:
10 days is all it will take. His own words after he said no.

Right back on the fence.
a lot of posters on here are going to be in a funny spot of not being able to say "I told you so" combined with pure joy and happiness and excitement when Gronk is catching balls down the seam in the stretch run. Book it. It is happening definitely.

Didn't hand in his retirement papers yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News