PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been steadfast that he will retire. I'll stick with it, but I'll be happy to be wrong. I just hope if he plays that he can be better than most of last season. It hurt me to see him be a non-factor at times, even when he wasn't being doubled or tripled.

I would be shocked if he retired. I think the team knows already what he is going to do.

I would be shocked if he retired. I think the team knows already what he is going to do.

Yeah, one would think that he would give them sufficient notice of retirement before free agency starts. Despite his outward image, he is a smart and thoughtful guy.

So with that in mind, either he isn't retiring, or he told the team but hasn't made it public (and I'm not sure why they would do that). Most reasonable scenario is that he's coming back!

Its a crazy situation.

Player has talked about retirement.
Team has talked about trading player.
Player has asked for more money
Team provided ability to make more and player failed to meet criteria
Player is slated to make almost ~$9.9m this year.
If player is cut/retires/traded, team saves ~$9.8m against the cap.

....and crickets is what we here from both sides.

Its a crazy situation.

I think I said it earlier (in this thread or elsewhere) but I'm predicting a restructured contract and extension where he gets less annually, but also takes on a new role where he is more of a blocker, less of a receiver except in crucial moments, and maybe eases up on practice and other places that take a physical toll (as much as that can happen on the Patriots).

This approach spares him as many big hits in games, extends his career, saves us some cap space, and lets him play football, which I think he still loves.

I think I said it earlier (in this thread or elsewhere) but I'm predicting a restructured contract and extension where he gets less annually, but also takes on a new role where he is more of a blocker, less of a receiver except in crucial moments, and maybe eases up on practice and other places that take a physical toll (as much as that can happen on the Patriots).

This approach spares him as many big hits in games, extends his career, saves us some cap space, and lets him play football, which I think he still loves.
Yea I came up with guaranteeing some of his 2019 cash by converting it into a bonus and moving some of it to 2020. The might still add some incentives in there too like catches, yards, TDs.

At this stage in his career, Gronk is a ****ty player and it’s time to hang it up.

I can think of many free safeties who play the position better than him.

Yea I came up with guaranteeing some of his 2019 cash by converting it into a bonus and moving some of it to 2020. The might still add some incentives in there too like catches, yards, TDs.
I still think they’re taking it year to year with Gronkowski, and I hope that he has one more season left in him. I want to be wrong, but I have a difficult time envisioning a deal that makes sense for both team and player. There seem to be a lot of “what ifs.”

So with that in mind, either he isn't retiring, or he told the team but hasn't made it public (and I'm not sure why they would do that).
One reason why they may choose to keep it close to the vest would be that they don’t want to let the whole world know that they’re picking a TE. Teams can leap them, may not want to trade with them, etc. I would assume the same for free agency, in terms of negotiations with agents and players, as well as other teams trying to take advantage by upping the price via bidding wars.

Other than that, it’s possible that they’re still trying to figure out the salary and workload as it pertains to practicing, as well as specifics of training. If I recall correctly, Gronk wasn’t thrilled about his pay in 2018, and he didn’t reach any of the incentives, last season.

From the other side of the table, Belichick can’t be crazy about having him count as a 12m dollar cap hit, and there are obviously questions about his durability and possibly even desire to continue playing. Much like last year, it could be an issue that takes awhile to iron out, and if I remember right, Gronk did not give them ample notice prior to free agency. As a matter of fact, I believe that he was “acting up” at the motocross presser at Gillette a couple/few weeks after the start of free agency, which is likely when/why Belichick tried to trade him to Detroit.

I still think they’re taking it year to year with Gronkowski, and I hope that he has one more season left in him. I want to be wrong, but I have a difficult time envisioning a deal that makes sense for both team and player. There seem to be a lot of “what ifs.”
Agree. I was just moving money to lessen to 2019 cap hit.

the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that he is going to return next year. It has been over a month since the superbowl. if he was going to retire I think we would know it by now.

But all indications (and rumors) have been that Gronk is looking to see what kind of help he can get. Which makes sense....Gronk isnt the player anymore that can play 100% snaps taking shots. BUT, as you saw in the AFCCG and Superbowl he is still clutch as hell and made plays that helped us win those games. Both those catches he made were a huge part of why we won.

and a huge part why you want to keep him.

At this stage in his career, Gronk is a ****ty player and it’s time to hang it up.

I can think of many free safeties who play the position better than him.

Yeah! That’s right. Even Jordan Richards could have stopped that Miami miracle. Wait a minute, no he couldn’t never mind

Its a crazy situation.

If he’s going to return he should just announce it soon here.

We could use that 9.8 million otherwise...

If he’s going to return he should just announce it soon here.

We could use that 9.8 million otherwise...

I asked this in another thread. We shouldn't worry about Gronk's decision timeline. When we need a decision from him, we'll get it and the Patriots will make moves.

I asked this in another thread. We shouldn't worry about Gronk's decision timeline. When we need a decision from him, we'll get it and the Patriots will make moves.
Not if Flowers is already gone...

Not if Flowers is already gone...
The Patriots aren't doing this for the first time under BB....

They will know when certain moves are necessary to sign whoever they want/need to sign.

Going to set defense records. If Flowers stays, this defense is looking scary

I don't think it's an extension. If's he's not retiring, he's probably just gonna play out his contract, which I believe is only for 2019. And I'd be fine with that. But for Christ's sake, let's PLEASE draft a decent pass catching TE in the 1st three rounds, so his replacement would be ready in 2020. I would love if they signed Jared Cook as a FA. Gronk, Cook and a rookie TE. Cook takes some of the pass catching responsibilities away from Gronk to keep both fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News