PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes a high draft pick SS for the Jests.

I know I was just trying to contrast how Gronk is a HoF bound TE and Adams is in his what ? third season ?

One is winning rings the other tackling mascots.

The only argument I'm seeing that people are making against Gronk not being the best is that he didn't play long enough...

But I ask, who was the better ALL-AROUND, COMPLETE TE? Not a WR in a TE body.

Some will say Jeremy Shockey or Ozzie Newsome.

Find me a person who will say Shockey over Gronkowski.

I think he will come out of retirement :)

And Gronk was open for the 2 point conversion. Would have been epic if Brady wasn't running for his life constantly and zero'ing in on Edelman. I don't blame Brady too much, but what could have been!

Last edited:
I'm kind of hoping he is making a play for more money
I’m guessing that play was already made prior to the announcement. Lol. As a matter of fact, Gronk’s dad claimed that “he’s got all the money he could ever need” when Drew Rosenhaus asked him about leaving the 10m dollars on the table, yesterday.

But assuming that you’re right, when have you ever known Bill Belichick to get involved with childish behavior/drama? The entire world wished Gronk a happy retirement in the past couple of days. It’s time to move on. Prior to the playoffs, he looked like a former shell of himself anyway. It was great to see him reach back and give us everything that he had for one last run.

It seems that last year the O morphed into a smash mouth run O towards the end. We had two good blocking TEs. Now, they are both gone.

Doesn't it seem easier and cheaper to get blocking TEs than try to replace Gronk? I mean there is no replacing him but to just get a receiving TE doesn't seem to add anything to the deception caused by having Gronk, so might as well find a good WR?
Looks like Hannable agrees:
SmartSelect_20190326-031758_Chrome.jpg

Hannable: Patriots offense could be more run-heavy post Rob Gronkowski

McGinest's scenario seems like our best bet. From what Rosenhaus has said I think it's not money it's wear and tear. If there's any potential in what McGinest says I expect we'll start hearing rumblings somewhere from like, weeks 6-12.

He'll be back. Game #12. Three games to get in game shape. Finish the season and roll into the playoffs.

Count on it.

Bob Hope sang "Thanks for the Memories" Well thanks Gronk for those great memories of your playing the game with joy and skill. Good Luck. All the Best. When you believe you are feeling well again. Think hard about the long road ahead of you and how you will live. Live it to the fullest and enjoy

Funny you should mention Bob Hope. I was going to put a video here of him singing that song but decided against it. It was the first thing I thought of when Gronk announced his retirement.

I’m guessing that play was already made prior to the announcement. Lol. As a matter of fact, Gronk’s dad claimed that “he’s got all the money he could ever need” when Drew Rosenhaus asked him about leaving the 10m dollars on the table, yesterday.

But assuming that you’re right, when have you ever known Bill Belichick to get involved with childish behavior/drama? The entire world wished Gronk a happy retirement in the past couple of days. It’s time to move on. Prior to the playoffs, he looked like a former shell of himself anyway. It was great to see him reach back and give us everything that he had for one last run.

My only issue with Gronk's retirement is if he comes back then he should have let the team know sooner and allowed them to use his cap space.

My only issue with Gronk's retirement is if he comes back then he should have let the team know sooner and allowed them to use his cap space.
If you believe Tom Curren's article, Gronk had zero interest in doing the NEP any favors and Bill wasn't going to push him.

If BB wanted the cap space bad enough he would have taken it.

I am not taking any stock in the "he'll be back" talk. They said Megatron would be back, and they said Barry Sanders would be back. I am willing to bet they said the same about Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers, too.

If you believe Tom Curren's article, Gronk had zero interest in doing the NEP any favors and Bill wasn't going to push him.

If BB wanted the cap space bad enough he would have taken it.

What did Curran think was the issue that Gronk had with the Pats? I think they treated him fairly over the years, especially considering his injury history.

His weaknesses from scouting report in 2010:

WEAKNESSES
Durability concerns since he missed the entire 2009 season after back surgery and missed three games in 2008. Does not have a great top-end speed and may not be able to stretch the field at the next level. Lacks the elusiveness to make people miss after catch.

Is pushing dudes over and dragging them 15 yards still considered 'elusiveness'? Gronk did plenty after the catch.

I am not taking any stock in the "he'll be back" talk. They said Megatron would be back, and they said Barry Sanders would be back. I am willing to bet they said the same about Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers, too.
Yea I don't see him coming back either.

I remember when Brown pulled that PR stunt saying he'd come back because he didn't want Franco Harris to break his rushing record. He was in his late 40s when he was on that SI cover I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST